Notices

Looking for online support friends

Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for online support friends

Hey my name is Jeff I have had it with booze and drugs. I went to rehab last Sept. I then remained sober for about 6-7months at which point I forgot about how bad things were and assumed that I could return to drinking 'normal' which at first seemed to be ok but quickly spiraled out of control because I then started smoking weed and doing blow again. Blow is my worst enemy because that is the one that is most addictive to me and causes the most senseless decisions because all i care about is the drug while I'm using it. I am 28yrs old I want to get and REMAIN sober. I plan on using SR as my main tool as well as attending some AA meetings, using some AVRT techniques. I want to maximize my toolset. I stopped going to AA meetings before I decided I could drink again. So this time I realize that I must stay connected to support groups whether its here, AA, etc. I have been stuck in a rut for the past 7 months not being able to get back to being sober. I would like to make many friends on here and help others as they help me. Thank You for your time.

JC
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Freindship is a good thing. Hi
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey MYCoolFitz whats your story? How did you arrive here?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think at the start by an emotional 911. Been on for years. Addicted since the 60's working hard to help myself and others which helps myself
Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi JC,
I just arrived here yesterday, had enough of abusing wine for the last year. I did have 3 months sober but relapsed beginning of November. Now I'm fed up and tired. Today is my day 2 of lifetime sobriety, I'm not relapsing ever again. SR has been my main source of comfort, discussion and support for the last 2 days and it's really helping me. I'm sure you'll find lots of new friends here! Good luck!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome Rose thats great to hear. I feel good knowing that I finally can admit I'm an alcoholic. I have been trying to keep telling myself I'm a normal drinker and can have 1 or 2 beers watch the fights or whatever but then next thing I know I'm hiding empties, buying back up beer, etc its just ridiculous what it does to you lol.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jeff
this is a great group - you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Welcome Jeff.

There is great relief in being honest in your alcohol use, isn't there? Being able to surrender and feel the lift of knowing that we can't drink like others...wow, what a weight off the shoulders.

Great to see you're from Hamilton...we're practically neighbours.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks and ya pretty close in TO. I don't know why I kept trying to tell myself I could drink n drug normal but atleast I now have the knowledge that I can't. Thankfully I haven't suffered any real consequences such as DUI, losses, etc. So I can turn things around right now and for good this time. I felt really good during the 6months. I got a little annoyed by having to goto meetings while working 50+ hr work week, gym, etc but I was stricly using AA. I plan on attending occasional meetings to keep myself on track but I can't feasibly be there as much.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang on hang in its a great place full of my best friends
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

Another online resource is AAOnline.net--Realtime Open AA Meetings on the Internet They have 24hour chat and also meetings thoughout the day It's a bit chaotic when it's open chat but the meetings are as a face to face meeting would be. Good recovery there too

Keep up the good work mate

Ads
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantFreedom View Post
Awesome Rose thats great to hear. I feel good knowing that I finally can admit I'm an alcoholic. I have been trying to keep telling myself I'm a normal drinker and can have 1 or 2 beers watch the fights or whatever but then next thing I know I'm hiding empties, buying back up beer, etc its just ridiculous what it does to you lol.
I'm still in the phase of saying I'm an alcohol abuser. I think I may have referred to myself once as an alcoholic. I just hate that term, but I know I can't drink ever again because I can never stop at one; so despite the label I choose, at least I'm no longer in denial! It does feel good, so does sobriety!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi JC and welcome,

SR is a great tool for recovery, more than a tool really, its kind of a network one should totally immerse themselves in. I say that despite the fact that I have not made good use of SR in my own recovery at all. Like you, I went to treatment, had some clean time and was feeling pretty good about things. I f##ked up and thought that I could use socially and here I am, one step forward and two steps back.

Come to SR often, post often and I will do the same.

All the best

Matt
Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey JC,

Glad to see you're back and wanting to make this work again. You mentioned that AA was one of your tools before. You should try checking out an AA meeting and get a sponsor. Find someone with some time and experience in sobriety under his belt. Find someone that has qualities about them that you want to have and ask them to be your sponsor after the meeting.

I can't deny that having other tools in your toolbox is a wonderful thing too. SR has been great for me as well. But in my opinion, AA has been the best tool out of all of them. Just sharing my experience with sobriety so far, that's all.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and help everyone
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

I am new to this community as well. . . I can honestly say that over the past few days the level of support from kind people on here has been amazing. Happy to have you on here and wish you well on your journey.

S
xx
Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks you too.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, this place is amazing as the people who are members. I hope you find the support you need to get and stay sober if that's what you choose.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ya I definately want sobreity. I am just tired of having to lie to family about it. Its just exhausting. I can relax without the booze as I find I am no more relaxed after a drink or 2. I can easily just come home and relax on the couch with a movie and tea, pop, coffee, etc and not have any consequences from that and it costs way less money . What is your story Meg I actually just read your thread about Xmas and drinking, etc with buying booze for others.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((Jeff)) - Welcome to SR! This site, and the people, here have been a HUGE part of my recovery. I use a little of this, a little of that, and so far it's worked well.

If you want to read some stories of members here, this is a great forum - Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Congratulations on making the choice of no more drink and drugs!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy