Notices

An omen?

Old 11-24-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An omen?

So, I have been thinking back over my drinking life, trying to put things into perspective, and I suddenly remembered something, which I probably should have paid more attention to (but obviously didn't at the time.)

I used to mainly drink beer, but towards the end I was chugging this rank 8% strong sweet canned crap.

This, I affectionately named 'Trampagne'.

Anyway, it was far more effective than the 5% beer I was mainly on, so was great for alcoholic me. Got me where I wanted to be much faster.

Well, about 3 months ago, I remember drinking from my first can of this stuff whilst walking up the road, and all of a sudden the smell, strength, taste and horrid closeness of it made me gag really hard and puke my guts up on the side of the road. I must have look so handsome and sophisticated...

Anyway, this was weird, as usually my body would just soak this stuff up like it was the medicine I needed, but now all of a sudden, it was rejecting it.

No idea of the science behind this, but I suspect this may have been something deep in my being that was finally saying no.

Felt ghastly at the time, and the subsequent months were not exactly good, but in a way I am glad it happened.

Anybody else had anything like this?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very similar experience here. On my last binge my body seemed to reject it. I think it had to do with the total shame and guilt.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup...right around the time I started drinking those 8% things before work. Right after number 1 I would throw up. I too either figured it was my body or brain begging me to stop.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

at the end, sometimes one would get me real messed up, other times a zillion would do nothing.....or I'd do what you did.....yeah.....
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, my unconcious telling me enough was enough...
And then waiting till that too would pass so l could go on..bussines as usual.
Hope never to have to go through that agian...
Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Two nights ago was my last drink. I didn't change up my routine at all, I had the same amount, same brand I always chose, but when I woke up yesterday morning, I was hungover like I hadn't been in over a year, had trouble breathing, so bloated that I looked 15 months pregnant and felt like I was going to pass out, it was bad. That's what got me here to SR and making the decision to end the abuse.

I'd like to think that my brain finally had enough and sent signals to all of my body parts to say "make her suffer"!!! Whatever the case, it worked, I suffered and today I'm sober.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

My mind would obsess and body would crave...but deep down I really didn't want it any more. Would put the first few gulps down with my chin an inch from the toilet as I would get sick. Then it stayed down...pushed and forced down like many a resentment or fear.

It's poison, pure and simple. The body can only take so much before it revolts. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually ill. It's a package.

It wasn't long before I was done for good.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. Many times.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

From what people have said, yeah there were points when I was forcing myself to hold it down until the science started working and I felt 'better' again.

Pretty low point, if I am honest.

Will not be doing that again, and will offer my support to anybody else who is in the middle of doing that.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Yes. I would drink this 9% malt liquor...Camo Silver Ice XXX. I called it jet fuel or rotten apple juice. Was quite gross. Many times I would puke after the first couple sips.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Would drink whiskey, then try to hold it down with warm beer until the shaking stopped. Sometimes I'd have to start over.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Would drink whiskey, then try to hold it down with warm beer until the shaking stopped. Sometimes I'd have to start over.
I think I just puked a little reading that.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Yes that has also happened to me, I used to binge on cheap white cider and what Id do was put a top on it coz the taste is really sickening, I used to get a few mouthfuls down trying to stop the shakes and then straight to the loo out it came. I used to do this alot, however my body ended up having to put up with that god awful stuff because after about 4-5 times of vomiting the shakes would go and I could drink that stuff until I passed out, then the day came when I just couldn't drink that stuff anymore as it used to repulse me on hangovers and withdrawals I stopped drinking it and went for wine when I could afford it. Sad thing is I used to wake up shaking, run to the loo and stick two fingers down my throat, to get rid of the bile to start drinking again, terrible terrible times! So glad they are now I can safely say "Over"!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very much so. While in rehab over the summer, I would think of simply the taste of high gravity beer and shudder and gag. Should have remembered that, but I am now on day 11 of sobriety and so thankful.

~Kricket
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I think it's also a sign that the liver is being strained. Good to have that as your last memory of drinking , as it will help you stay sober.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

my last drink i was over the bowel of the toilet been sick, which i thought at the time this is strange because im never normally sick after a heavey night. i do think your body gets to a point where it will let you know enough is enough, my poor liver was crying out no more please..
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by JasonMarchelak View Post
Yes that has also happened to me, I used to binge on cheap white cider and what Id do was put a top on it coz the taste is really sickening, I used to get a few mouthfuls down trying to stop the shakes and then straight to the loo out it came. I used to do this alot, however my body ended up having to put up with that god awful stuff because after about 4-5 times of vomiting the shakes would go and I could drink that stuff until I passed out, then the day came when I just couldn't drink that stuff anymore as it used to repulse me on hangovers and withdrawals I stopped drinking it and went for wine when I could afford it. Sad thing is I used to wake up shaking, run to the loo and stick two fingers down my throat, to get rid of the bile to start drinking again, terrible terrible times! So glad they are now I can safely say "Over"!
What a hassle that sounds like! Oh goodness the things we put ourselves through just to get through the day...or in some cases just to begin the day! Glad it doesn't have to be that way anymore.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I haven't thrown up or crapped my pants since I quit drinking in '95. If all I ever got out of sobriety was no more dry heaves and loads in my pants that would be good enough.

Thanks for the thread, OP. I every so very much do NOT miss that at all!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Same thing happened to me ..... with all alcohol. I guess it is our bodies trying to stop us.

I drank that rank stuff y'all are speaking of: Loco. It comes in different flavors and it is disgusting but it does the job. It must be extra strong because I drank 2 and blew a .233 at rehab