Notices

Triggers/Lapses

Old 11-24-2012, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Smile Triggers/Lapses

Does anyone here have a particular trigger into wanting (craving) for a drink, I recently experienced this and it was overwhelming, 2 weeks ago, and I don't discount my recovery, but I decided to go round my partners and have a drink as I found myself with nothing to do, and getting into bed at 7:30pm which is so early on a saturday night. I unfortunatly had a whole bottle of wine within 1 hour, then more, and I blacked out and the next morning sunday still half cut, my head was in a vice, I was constantly vomiting and shaking/sweating and my heart was really fast. However that "one off" lasted a whole week! A hangover lasting that long really put me off, and I think really sometimes you have to learn from a mistake as it takes you back to where and how you felt before. I havent drunk again as basically in my eyes that whole week felt like I was withdrawing again! The negative side is I was told I was lashing out at my partner, broke the fan comlpletely and broke the radiator in the bedroom off it's hinges! I really know from then on, it's not just one drink it's one too many!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Jason, glad your back. Yes, a week long hangover sounds pretty nasty. Good sign you shouldnt be drinking anymore!

I don't have triggers anymore, as I've been sober awhile and can't imagine what could make me pick up. Howeve, early on I did stay away from my drinking buddies, at least in any atmosphere that we would normally drink. So if I saw them, it was lunch or a movie.

I guess I was so afraid to pick up early on that I cocooned myself in AA and sober people, until I felt safe to be around alcohol again without drinking.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Hi Jason - glad you're back too.

I don't have anything that would get me to drink these days, but very early on I had to keep myself busy to keep my thoughts drifting towards bottle shaped items. I wasn't working at the time, so for me that was jumping into AA. I was going to 20 mtgs a week and working the steps. I sometimes didn't like it, but kept at it, hoping that things would change. And they did.

So I guess boredom was one of my rivals at the time (outside of the drink problem, of course).
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jason Yes I get triggers still, although they're not nearly as often as my very early sobriety.

I got sideswiped with one last night! Visiting with family for Thanksgiving holiday, mom was drunk, loud, screeching, cackling, interrupting; people loud and louder trying to be heard over each other; then my mom (who is a space invader anyways) backed me up to the kitchen counter and was going off to me about one of the other family members she despises. The feeling of being trapped, her hostile vibe and the onslaught of wine breath just hit me...hard. I left there in tears, and when I got home I wanted to drink. So I called my sponsor and talked it out instead, and the trigger/urge passed.

We're so used to that one old tool, and we're still so young in learning there's a whole world of tools out there for us. It's the remembering in the moment that can be hard for me. But I guess it takes time to build this new habit. All the best to you Jason