Notices

Holidays are my trigger.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holidays are my trigger.

Happy Thanksgiving SR Family.

It's no surprise but holidays are a triggger for me. In about 5 hours, I will be 40 days sober and I am content. Content on not drinking. I acknowledge the urges when they appear; tell my AV to go elsewhere because I'm not interested and within minutes it's over.

Something awesome happened today - I went grocery shopping and the thought of buying alcohol never entered my mind. In fact, I never looked at the isle that had the alcohol. Its funny because when I first stopped drinking, I noticed everyone else buying alcohol in the store and I felt like i was missing out. Actually, the only thing I'm missing out on is ruining my health.

Stay strong and enjoy the long weekend.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

isn't it great when you realize the obsession is gone? congratulations and have a wonderful holiday!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great Thanksgiving guys

D
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice work on the sobriety.

I am quickly realizing the obsession with alcohol feels very much like the immature feelings I used to get in my teens when I split up with a girlfriend; I am older and wiser now, and never get those kind of feelings any more. Hoping the same is just a matter of time with alcohol too.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue View Post
I acknowledge the urges when they appear; tell my AV to go elsewhere because I'm not interested and within minutes it's over.
It's hard to have triggers when the obsession has been lifted. The great thing about having the obsession lifted is that we are free to go as we please and not feel that we are fighting anything or anyone. What you're doing is great - acknowledging the urge or passing thought, observing it a passing thought, and not engaging in that thought other than to shoo it away.

Great work and congrats on your 40 days!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone I know is out right now on "the biggest partying night of the year". One friend kept telling me come on just go, even knowing I had medics here recently. I am going to have to make new friends. Or sit here like I am now alone.

Tomorrow my entire family will be drinking. We eat at 1 but the wine bottles are all opened and I will have to find some way to remove myself from that table. Last year I was sneaking drinks and am still ashamed.

I agree, holidays are bad. Congrats on your sobriety and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck today everyone. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years - the Trilogy of Triggers! Stay focused on what's important - sobriety and recovery.