Notices

Accidental gulp number one ... 'check'

Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Accidental gulp number one ... 'check'

Yesterday I had a few people over to watch a football game and then a movie. There was a bit of beer drinking and it didn't bother me. Around 9pm I grab my glass of tea and took a big swig... except it wasn't my tea, it was someone's dark amber beer. (forgot the darn sniff test)
I actually wanted to induce vomiting, but figured that'd be a waste of time and effort, so I rinsed my month out real good and drank a bottle of water.
But here I sit at 3am (6 hours later) and that one sample has the bonfire lit in the back of my head.
Ultimately I'm grateful that I did not continue to drink more, it has shown me how little it takes to awaken the sleeping giant.
Now I must get some good sleep, learn from this and move on.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's my worst nightmare Scot, but seems to be something that comes up often here. I am totally paranoid when out that they'll put vodka in my lime and soda or something. Totally ridiculous I know but it seems to be easy done. Although I may be a bit edgy I think it helps to be vigilant. Well done on dealing with it x
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try not to give it too much headspace - it was a mistake.
It' a good reminder not to take anything for granted tho, I think.

Stay focused and strong Scot

D
Old 11-19-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We just had a post on this. Same thing, someone accidentally took a sip of beer.
I drank a sip of a vodka and cranberry, thinking the bartender had given me what I asked fro, which was a cranberry and club soda. I thought it tasted funny but wasn't sure why so I took a second sip and realized it was vodka.
It scared me but didn't start any cravings. You will be ok. Let it be a warning to be sure of what you are drinking.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I Ordered a coke at dinner at an old place I used to go last week. I used to sit at the bar but was dining with my son.
The waitress was surprised, and said rum and coke?
Weird cause for a split second that sounded good. I said nope just coke.
Then I realized it was the first time I'd ever been there sober.
Thought a little about what would have happened if she hadn't clarified.
Glad you pulled through.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I always cringe a bit when I read those kind of tales...yikes! The only thing that comes close for me is when I tasting some ice cream (at work - we have lots of different kinds there) and realized after shoving it in my mouth that one was rum raisin (checked the ingredients right after and yup, they use real booze - not just cheap flavouring). I actually panicked and called my sponsor. We laughed about it later.

Not quite the same, I know. ha ha...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ive done that before when I stopped drinking for quite some time several years ago. I confused someones screwdriver for my orange juice. I spat it out, but I didnt worry about it too much.
Oh, and that was NOT the reason or even close to the time when I relapsed. It had nothing to do with it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Thanks all... just to update that I felt good today with no thoughts of drinking.
Through so many months recovery I've gotten good at shutting down resentments (similar to thinking through the drink), things are so much easier now that I'm not hating on myself over everything. I just have to be really careful in that environment.