Notices

hi im new here.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi im new here.

A little about me i guess, im a 22 year old college student. and am a bio major. while i did have to drop this semester, i do have a great gpa. and work a full time job in the meantime.

Over about the past month, but really the past couple weeks i have realized that i do in fact have a drinking problem... Particularly a binge drinking/problem drinking type of drinking problem... not sure if its alcoholism yet but is a BIG problem. and alcoholism does run on both sides of my family which has me a bit concerned.

I have been a social drinker since about age 19, then started to have a couple beers to help relax at night while watching tv or playing video games, but that was always controlled in moderation. Then recently (within the last month and a half) turned to a little whiskey and doctor pepper at night. Then a pint of whiskey a night.... and soon anywhere from a 5th to a handle or more per night, actually starting early and drinking through the night. While drinking beer i was always a fun and happy person to be around even when i may have "over didit" but im not the same when i drink whiskey or anything harder than beer. And the problem is once i reach i certain level of drunkness i drink faster and faster and start chugging, straight whiskey.

But anyways, here is what happens when i drink.
-I am being charged with a DUI, court in december.
-Lately i drink not for fun, but to relieve stress... stress caused from previous drinking episodes or the night before.
-COMPLETE BLACKOUTS, for hours and hours at a time.
- i get aggressive, and have ended up in the hospital with broken bones from fighting.... even though normally im the nicest and calmest guy in the world.
-my room is destroyed, holes in the wall from punching it and falling into them.
-Did i mention COMPLETE BLACKOUTS? im tired of waking up not knowing what the hell happened the night before, and why my hand is always broken... or why i have a black eye or separated shoulder. did i fall? get in a fight? who knows.... im just beat to hell right now.
-and the worst part is the guilt and embarrassment of the things i do remember while intoxicated.

I haven't had a drink in over 24 hours (for the first time in months, other than when i was in jail) and plan on talking to a substance abuse therapist in a couple days; i already have an appointment scheduled. my parents, family, and friends are extremely worried about my drinking habits and i truly want to get some help. I dont think ive had any withdrawal symptoms other than a hangover, so hopefully i havent done too much damage. although i do have some anxiety and an just a blank empty feeling.

Any advice for extreme binge drinking, other than stop??? I already know that, thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Good idea to seek help with a counselor.

Alcoholic drinking comes in different flavors : binge, daily, just weekends. I don't think it matters. So, my suggestion is to stop and see if your life gets better. See if you can find healthy ways to relax. See if the trouble you are getting into when drinking stops.

Big warning to you is that your personality changes and youre having blackouts.
Read other posts on here and see how others are dealing with this.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats for recognizing the things that you want/need to change to make a better life - and for making an appointment to talk to someone. Be proud of that - Those first steps are not easy, but once you take them that feeling of "hope" happens too.

I just got through DUI court. I hired a lawyer and it went well enough. First offence, and thank Goodness no one was hurt, or worse. I am ashamed, but am viewing it as a positive thing overall; a life-changing opportunity.

You're at a great age to turn your life around .. to make plans and work on goals. Wish I'd recognized myself at 22 as well as you have.)

Well done - and best wishes. Looking forward to hearing how things go!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I just got charged with my second DUI so believe me you are not alone!
And I agree with Pipparina...alcoholism does come in many flavours. Id recommend also keeping up with the counsellor and nipping this in the bud so it doesnt get worse.....Let us know how you get on
Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Yup - just stop. That's about as simple as it gets.

It would seem that you are living the classic Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde way of life, and it will only progress, as you have seen already. It's great that you have recognized this, and still have the love and support of your friends and family. Many lose that before they realize they need help, so use it.

Lots of information here, like pipparina mentioned - check it out.

Good luck!!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The Jaywalker Parable from Big Book AA pp37-38 Adapted for alcoholics-courtesy of the jaywalker dot com

Our behavior is as absurd and incomprehensible with respect to the first drink as that of an individual with a passion, say, for jay-walking. He gets a thrill out of hanging out at bars. He enjoys himself for a few years in spite of friendly warnings. Up to this point you would label him as a foolish chap having queer ideas of fun. Luck then deserts him and he goes out on sprees several times in succession. Presently he gets drunk again and this time he ends up in the hospital. Within a week after leaving the hospital he's back drinking. He tells you he has decided to stop drinking for good, but in a few weeks he is back drinking.
On through the years this conduct continues, accompanied by his continual promises to be careful or to keep away from the bars altogether. Finally, he can no longer work, his wife gets a divorce and he is held up to ridicule. He tries every known means to get the drinking idea out of his head. He shuts himself up in an asylum, hoping to mend his ways. But the day he comes out he races back to the bar, which sets off another spree. Such a man would be crazy, wouldn't he?
You may think our illustration is too rdiculous. But is it? We, who have been through the wringer, have to admit if we substituted alcoholism for jay-walking, the illustration would fit us exactly.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Yup - just stop. That's about as simple as it gets.

It's not that easy though chief.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

riseagainst,

It's great you're realizing your drinking problem more. You'll have to decide for yourself if you're truly an alcoholic. When I read your post, I definitely see some very clear signs of alcoholism in it, but again you'll have to be the one to decide and then take action from there. It's good that you're getting a counselor. Your counselor may suggest this ... but I would suggest checking out an AA meeting nearby you.

I knew early on I had a drinking problem but it was in the back of my mind all of the time and I figured "I'm not that bad .." Then things just kept getting worse in life and it took a while before I could finally look back and realize that I was progressively getting worse and worse with alcohol and it was a direct link to my quality of life (or lack thereof). I hope that you'll find more clarity with your situation soon and do something about it. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR riseagainst

I found support was invaluable for me.

It really helped to know I wasn't alone and that I had people around me who understood.

I know you'll find that here too

D
Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I would suggest that you be VERY careful with your detox in the several days. If you are drinking between a 5th and a handle a night you have the potential to get some very nasty withdraws that could result in severe, even permanent physical problems. SEE A DOCTOR! Let them know exactly how much you have been drinking. Don’t risk your health.

There is a lot pointing to “alcoholism” in your case though you are the one who is going to need make the judgment about this label. The thing that points most strongly in the direction of that label is the fact that 'the more you drink - the more you drink'. In your case this is true both during the course of a single binge and for the period of the last several years.

MY guess is that the problem is going to get MUCH worse over time (and in your case fairly quickly). Do everything you need to do to take care of this problem and PLEASE see a doc.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome riseagainst. You're avoiding a nightmare by dealing with this now. I wish I had when I was your age. Glad to have you with us.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

riseagainst: Try to get help with your stress. It sounds like you only have one tool right now to deal with stress - drink. There are probably resources on campus that can help you.

There are so many ways above and beyond zonking yourself out into a blackout that can relieve stress. The stress in your life is also the reason you're an angry drunk. You're not adequately dealing with your stress and once your inhibitions are compromised your stress comes out as anger.

I hope you can find help with your stress and while you're looking - try not to drink. Harder to do than write, I know.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Nineteen67 View Post
It's not that easy though chief.
I absolutely agree. I was referencing the OP's final line about what advice to give about binge drinking other than just stopping, which they know already. I was just trying to drive the point home that the simplest answer is sometimes the only answer. And while "just stop" is clearly not the easy answer, it's the only answer for us alcoholics. Staying stopped is the hard part .

So there was no intent on being facetious- far from it.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

rise
i was a student just like you when i started drinking. for some unknown reason i always did better on exams when i drink. do you know there is an actual study on that, and yes it is a proven fact that people do better when they are slightly under the influence than not. yes i read it. but that slightly lead to drinking uncontrolabily. i also had to drop out of school for a while to get control. My GPA dropped and i am afraid to apply for my masters degree. but you did the right step in admitting you have a problem. it was for me.i think admitting is the first step in stop drinking.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

robgt350: There is really a study about that? Interesting. I took a year off of work from the summer of 2010 until summer 2011. When I started looking to get back into the work force, I found my round of interviews always went much better with at least 2 (sometimes 3) glasses of wine. Granted I was at the height of my drinking career too.

More than 1 - 3 glasses I may not have been able to answer the more elaborate questions, but there was something more to the vino-buzz than just being more relaxed. I felt more in-tuned and intuitive.

I thought taking a year off would help me cut back on my wino ways. Just the opposite - if anything that time off was less refreshing and rejuvenating and it simply progressed my addiction to the next level.

Thanks for sharing that information though.

riseagainst: I still think you need to check out alternative and more creative ways to deal with your stress.

As always, good luck!

--
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tanny711
i never took an interview after a few drinks. to think about it, i might do better. one think i can say,i never went to work under the influence. yes more interesting to it, i was studying mathematics and half of the class was failing and the professor brought in the study and actually encouraged it. yes that test i did pretty good.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. i guess i didnt really have many withdrawls, just an extremely hungover feeling for a couple days, and now crazy nightmare dreams... idk if thats normal, but they kinda suck. i found out today that my license will most likely suspended for at LEAST 6 months plus at least another 6 months of ignition interlock device in my car, which for me REALLY sucks because i live in mountains where i literally cant just "bike to work"... due to a high bac when pulled over. my lawyer said the judge/jury probably wont have much sympathy for me because of the way i acted on police video and i dont remember much from that, except i almost ran. i am really embarrassed, and stressed out to the max because i cant afford this. ive already dropped out and put student loans towards my attorney. i really want to go back to school but might have to work off these medical/legal bills for a couple years. ive already racked up thousands of dollars and i havent even had my first legit court appearance yet. and right now, i have an entire 14 dollars to my name.... damn.