Notices

Is there hope for me?

Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there hope for me?

Hi everyone. My name is Alan, I am 23 years old and drinking has taken over my life. I took my first sip of alcohol on my 18th birthday and every since then I have been drinking. I'm married, Have a good family and have a wonderful niece and nephew's. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the past few years and I was diagnosed with manic depression and OCD along with anxiety and paranoia. To this day I still have not confessed to my doctor that I am an alcoholic because for some reason I am too scared to. My life is going to complete hell. A few weeks ago, I was drinking and got really upset and decided to get in my car, total it, had to get 39 stitches in my chin and my first d.u.i. My relationship with my wife, and my family is just terrible now due to my drinking. My sister wont even talk to me and my wife has already threatened to divorce me which I don't blame her. I crave alcohol especially at night because it not only helps me sleep but it helps reduce my anxiety. If I somehow don't get the help I need I am worried about losing my wife, and my family. I hate the person I am today. I always said before i'd never EVER get in my car while i'm drinking and yet I did and yeah, you know what happened. I want to stop drinking and be the person that I, and my family used to know. I'm a completely different person and I need help. So, if there is anyone out there that can help me with my problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for reading my message.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Alan and a warm welcome to SR.
Thank you for sharing what you are going through, you've certainly come to the right place.
The first huge step you've taken in admitting you have a problem.

Lots of support and advice here. Keep reading and posting.

Why not join the Under 30 Days? It's a great thread.

Wish you well on your journey to recovery. Stay strong and take care.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Talking to you doctor and T is a good idea. Try to see it this way, what do you have to loose? You told us you have alot of good things going for you.
You are young, fixing this and addressing your issues can only bring you a good life.

Make the steps, drop the bottle, go to treatment, anything to stay away from booze.

All the best, have hope. You are already brave to be here and talk to us ;-)
Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

I know just the person who can help you!
His name is Alan.
Your story is mine but my story lasted for 20 years longer and I did get divorced.
Finally at 43, with my second marriage on the brink, I was finally able to admit to myself that I am an alcoholic. I got the help I needed at AA, and have been sober now for just over a year.
I am happier now than I've ever been in my life!
You can do it too!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Alan, yes there is hope for you. The is more. THere is certainty. Im certain that you have it in you to be the person you know you are inside. later.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, my picture isnt meant as anything. Its just my youtube pic, because I quit smoking last year and did videos of my ordeal with it for youtube. The pic is just the name of my channel not meant to be intimidating.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Alan...Your Story is my story...But my wife did leave before I did anything about it. AA worked for this hopeless alcoholic too...Read the Big Book...I'll post it below...See if you see yourself in there....Maybe try a few meetings...Get some support from people that are like you....That have been where you are...And don't pick up the first drink...That's the one that gets us drunk....Not the tenth one...The first one.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous

There is hope for everyone of us....We just have to make a little effort.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Alan, the important thing is you have recognized that things need to change and you will find a lot of friendly and helpful people around here, they are my rock so i hope they can be yours but as it has already been said i would suggest talking to your doctor as well. Good luck
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alan0x1 View Post
Hi everyone. My name is Alan, I am 23 years old and drinking has taken over my life. I took my first sip of alcohol on my 18th birthday and every since then I have been drinking. I'm married, Have a good family and have a wonderful niece and nephew's. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the past few years and I was diagnosed with manic depression and OCD along with anxiety and paranoia. To this day I still have not confessed to my doctor that I am an alcoholic because for some reason I am too scared to. My life is going to complete hell. A few weeks ago, I was drinking and got really upset and decided to get in my car, total it, had to get 39 stitches in my chin and my first d.u.i. My relationship with my wife, and my family is just terrible now due to my drinking. My sister wont even talk to me and my wife has already threatened to divorce me which I don't blame her. I crave alcohol especially at night because it not only helps me sleep but it helps reduce my anxiety. If I somehow don't get the help I need I am worried about losing my wife, and my family. I hate the person I am today. I always said before i'd never EVER get in my car while i'm drinking and yet I did and yeah, you know what happened. I want to stop drinking and be the person that I, and my family used to know. I'm a completely different person and I need help. So, if there is anyone out there that can help me with my problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for reading my message.
Hi Alan,

Are you taking medication for your OCD/Bipolar/paranoia and anxiety?

Your Doctor must be told you drink alcohol, since the interactions of anti-depressants and alcohol could cause a problem.

Do you think your fear in telling your doctor comes from the fact he is going to want you to quit drinking, and you don't want to deal with accountability to him?

Frankly, Alan, the only way I see you being able to help yourself and free yourself of alcohol addiction is to work with your psychiatrist. Which I might add you are very lucky to have . He has your total mental history and can answer any questions you may have and adjust your medications in accordance to your alcohol intake. Yes he will want you to stop drinking, but it seems you are here for that same reason.

You have enough very serious neurological disorders to deal with, drinking is the only one YOU have control over. You have only been drinking 6 years, you have your whole life and that of your families to consider. It is no longer just about you now. You have been outted and you need to address this issue.

Please tell your Psychiatrist--these conditions are the reason you PAY him. Let him work for you.

Please keep coming here to unburden yourself, we will be here to support you recovery from alcohol. Use us.

Sincerely,
TrixMixer
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA worked for me, as well as many others here. I believe it still has the highest success rate of all the available options for alcoholism treatment. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. Here's a list of meetings in your area 15a-meetings - Area 16; Alcoholics Anonymous in Georgia . If you have any questions about any of them I'm sure lots of people here would be happy to answer them.

You can also call 478-745-2588 and tell them this is your first time calling AA. That's the number I found for your area. You can probably meet someone at a meeting, or they might even come and get you if you ask.

I also found this which might be helpful Alcoholics anonymous in Dalton, GA | Dalton Alcoholics anonymous - YP.com .
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Hey there! Welcome to SR!

I am here to help any way I can. What can I do? I needed to realize that things weren't going to get better on their own. I had to decide to make a change and accept the solutions people offered (at least try them).
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovered Alcoholic And Heroin

(1) Do you think you have a drinking problem?
(2) Do you want to do anything about the problem?
(3) What are you willing to do about it?

Let me know, you can even inbox me for my number!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alan had 1 post on Nov 16, I hope he is well.

All the best.

Bob R