Notices

Leaving rehab early

Old 11-15-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaving rehab early

I've been in rehab for 3 months and detox for 3 and a half weeks before I came here. I'm facing a bit of a dilema. The rehab won't let us out at all on christmas day but it's really important to me that I see my family on christmas day. My mum has been ill with cancer and my grandad is very old and frail having recently had a heart attack and cancer. I fear he might not be around next christmas. I'm seriously considering leaving just before christmas but that means leaving 6 weeks early; after 4 and a half months rather than 6. I will still have support from the rehab if I leave and will probably do a day programme. What are your thoughts?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it might be the last time you see them I would say go. After all you can make them proud and show you are sober and remain that way.

Depends if you feel you will relapse. It will be a trigger full time for you in all possible ways, joy, sadness etc. a solid Plan is a must

Sorry about your difficult choice
Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree with Thepatman. You have pretty much learned all there is to know, but doing the outpatient will help you transition back into living on the outside.

I too am sorry to hear of your dilemma. Take care.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with the above. We get in to recovery to make our lives better. Sometimes we have "life stuff" that comes up...loved ones get sick or are dying. I know I was 8 months into recovery when a dear uncle died. Yes, my recovery "program" (a little bit of this, a little bit of that) was important, but so was honoring my uncle and all that he meant to my life.

His funeral was on my 8th month sobriety/clean date. I am forever grateful that I held on to my recovery, but was also there for the rest of my family and was able to process his death with a clear mind.

Do what you need to do, just remember that recovery is foremost. It's not really all that difficult, though I thought it was, at first. I take care of ME and it trickles down to those I love

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If you will still have the support of rehab come Dec 26, and there isn't the possibility of seeing them at a time other than Christmas, it might be worth going.

I'd make sure I was being super totally honest about my decision to leave though. I fooled the crap out of myself that I was doing something noble at times to justify underlying motives. I am not suggesting YOU are doing that but sometimes alcoholics do such things.

You have to do what you have to do. You have to make the decision you can live with and feel was right. Only you can accurately evaluate the internal and external consequences of your choice.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree Friday13 i think that u need to be with ur family in this difficult time. I believe in you and think that you can handle it becuase you are capable of handling anything! Good Luck
Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. My mum is doing well now but after the year we've had it feels important to be with my family at christmas. I think I will leave. Going to speak to my counsellor more in depth on monday to get a clearer picture of what support I'll get if I leave.