Notices

Oscillating B/W Numb&Hyper-Emotion

Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oscillating B/W Numb&Hyper-Emotion

Hi everyone,
Today is sober day number 10 for me. I feel like I'm continuously oscillating between not feeling much of anything and then at other times its as if the flood gates have been opened. Does anyone have advice about how to deal with these two states of mind or anything that may help relieve being on one end of the extreme or the other?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Skyler.

This state is quite often in early sobriety. I started to feel like this after my Day 20. My emotions are still giving me hard times from time to time (Day 32 now), but what helps to curb it:

- exercising - I do it a lot, really helps to settle mood in the right place;
- do not push it too hard - just watch your emotions; if you feel down - it's ok. feel like crying or pissed off - just make sure you are not going to drink;
- relaxation/meditation - it is no quick fix, but after a while you will notice the difference. just 15 minutes a day can help;

- posting here, sharing your emotions with others helps immensely. I remember I posted a couple of times something like "Shoot me out of misery")))

Your emitions were affected by alco for some time, now they are getting straight. Get yourself some time to recover and do not be too demanding you yourself and your emotions.

Take care.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

The flood gates aspect actually evolved and became more of the norm and good for me. as i was able to sort through it all. It was like i was operating at just a flicker of light then all the sudden the spot light came on now and then. Eventually the light just stayed on and it was hard to sort through if that makes any sense. But in the end it was a good thing. I'm over 500 days sober now and that sort of stuff is not really an issue anymore so yes it gets better.

Gotta try and relax take it 1 thing at a time. If you have to let certain things go by the way side in order to address the few that you can so that you can maintain sobriety its OK its not a big deal. As you get healthier you can take on more and come back to that stuff. Staying sober is the first priority.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

About par for the course I'd say. Some sober time will fix that.