Notices

Why 90 Days?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why 90 Days?

Hi everyone, hope you all have a good day. I was wondering what is the significance of 90 days of sobriety? I know that many in recovery suggest "90 meetings in 90 days". Why? Is there another reason behind the 3 month mark outside of A.A.? I'm at 75 (which is over a month longer than I've ever been sober) and going strong. I really want this to be IT for me. Quit for good..
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've heard it said it takes 60 days of doing something for it to become a habit....Seeing as we are alcoholics...They figured an extra 30 days couldn't hurt.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It originally came from Rehab places.

It was suggested, because a NEW Habit can be created if one does the act or action for 90 days straight.

Whether it really sticks in 90 days I am not necessarily sure of. However, by attending 90 meetings in 90 days, the newcomer IS GETTING a really good idea of what AA is about and will probably, if they have decided to stay, have found a sponsor and have started the steps.

90 in 90 cannot hurt anyone. If they want to go back out then we will gladly refund their misery.

So Congrats on your 75 days. Keep going, find a sponsor, and start working your steps and you will get want you want, a NEW life, and a life I may add that you will never have dreamed was possible!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know where it came from but 90 days was more or less the time it took me to go from 'there's no way I can do this' to 'hey y'know? Maybe I can do this'...

The emotional rollercoaster stuff settled down after day 90 and I got a clearer idea of who sober me was

D
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

90 in 90 came from rehabs. its a great suggestion.
"I really want this to be IT for me. Quit for good.. "

all ya gotta do is follow int he footsteps of the ones that went before ya that have what you want, being careful not to trip over the ones that fall by the wayside. and do it one day at a time.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone. Funny it was only yesterday I was discussing routine and habits and how I find myself in a new routine that is working for me. I don't think about drinking nearly as much. I'm slowly feeling content with the idea that sobriety is going to be my reality for the rest of my life. I know to take things one day at a time and not get crazy thinking about the future. However, by working my own form of a program (which does involve the steps of A.A.) I am increasingly becoming happy that I don't drink. I feel like a newer, better person a little bit more each day. I also started looking at others who choose not to drink, not because they have a problem but because of other reasons.. They just don't drink. I like the idea that there are "normal" people out there who don't need alcohol and I am choosing to be apart of that crowd. It's a good feeling. Thanks again, have a good one
Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MegTheRunner View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Funny it was only yesterday I was discussing routine and habits and how I find myself in a new routine that is working for me. I don't think about drinking nearly as much. I'm slowly feeling content with the idea that sobriety is going to be my reality for the rest of my life. I know to take things one day at a time and not get crazy thinking about the future. However, by working my own form of a program (which does involve the steps of A.A.) I am increasingly becoming happy that I don't drink. I feel like a newer, better person a little bit more each day. I also started looking at others who choose not to drink, not because they have a problem but because of other reasons.. They just don't drink. I like the idea that there are "normal" people out there who don't need alcohol and I am choosing to be apart of that crowd. It's a good feeling. Thanks again, have a good one
I love everything about this post! 30 days in and feeling the same way
Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good post Meg. I was kind of wondering the same thing and these replies were very helpful. Now if I can only make it past 2 days...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In 90 days it becomes a habit and no longer a burden.

Get up everyday at 2 am. By day 90 you will no longer need an alarm clock.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been sober 95 days and someone told me to make 90 meetings in 90 days. I thought I couldn't do it but tried and made 133 meetings in 90 days
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jrick

D
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
It originally came from Rehab places.

It was suggested, because a NEW Habit can be created if one does the act or action for 90 days straight.

^^^^ This

When I was new they told me to plan my day around a meeting... that didn't have an expiration date.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Isinganyway-Congrats on 30 days Stay strong

Shepherdess-2 days is great, 3 will be even better. Remember, 1 day at a time, don't think about anything in advance other than staying sober today. You can do it.

JRick-Congrats on 95 that is awesome, can't wait to get there

I realize that there is no time limit to getting sober and staying that way. I also realize there is no perfect, foolproof plan to sobriety either. I made my own path to recovery and so far, so good. I'll continue to use SR as a place to ask questions, to vent, and to give support. I find these forums so supportive they reinforce my commitment to sobriety daily.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Meg,

I'll be at 90 days next week myself. I wondered about the 90-90 thing myself at AA meetings. I think the answer to a lot of things in AA end up being something along the lines of "just do it -- it works". We alcoholics always have to question things we don't know about and feel like anything we don't know or value is not worth examining -- because apparently we know what's best for us. That's my problem anyway. I think I know what's best for me when every time I try to follow that, I begin to wonder why my life is sucking that day. I just need to accept, pray, meditate, do what I say I'll do, and I always end up having a better day in sobriety as a result.

Hope to see you reach the 90 mark as well.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Hey Meg,

I'll be at 90 days next week myself. I wondered about the 90-90 thing myself at AA meetings. I think the answer to a lot of things in AA end up being something along the lines of "just do it -- it works". We alcoholics always have to question things we don't know about and feel like anything we don't know or value is not worth examining -- because apparently we know what's best for us. That's my problem anyway. I think I know what's best for me when every time I try to follow that, I begin to wonder why my life is sucking that day. I just need to accept, pray, meditate, do what I say I'll do, and I always end up having a better day in sobriety as a result.

Hope to see you reach the 90 mark as well.
Congrats to you...Great post!