Notices

Sober?

Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Sober?

A good friend of mine in recovery has decided it is ok for him to smoke pot. He says his real problem was with alcohol and alcohol brought him consequences and not weed.
I agree that weed is less harmful than alcohol, just look at the destruction alcohol causes compared to weed. It's pretty clear. However I told him that for me and many others a mind altering substance can lead to the first drink again. He says that this is not the case for him as he doesn't even consider a drink. I told him that it is not sober because you can't grow in life under mind altering drugs. I don't think he liked this and again said as long as he doesn't drink it's ok.
I know I should just worry about my recovery but this is just bugging me. Any thoughts on the issue? Thank you
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

I don't know what to think about this. I am of the opinion that it can lead to health issues(minor compared to alcohol), but I am open to the recreational use of weed. I would consider use of it in moderation an acceptable practice. If it in anyway gets in the way of living a "normal" life I would consider it a problem. Job loss, missing life's commitments, driving under the influence etc.

Only your friend can truely answer honestly to themselves if they are using it as a replacement for alcohol or trying to fix some other underlying issue.

I would probably would smoke pot if I could. I did in high school / college with no issues. However I live in a state where it is illegal and really frowned upon by the police. Not to mention drug tests for jobs etc.

In the end we can only control ourselves. Just my opinion.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To me (two qualifying words) being sober is not being clean. I was clean 15 years, no drugs (OK, maybe aspirin or prescription stuff) but I was still drinking.

So, for me, clean is different from sober. Right now, I am both (a little more than 2 months sober)

You will find a ton of opinions about pot. I have three friends that have a script and smoke for pain from cancer. Do I smoke it? Heck no. I will get looped faster than a vodka tonic will get me.

personally (we can't give medical opinions here at SR) I don't see a health risk, outside of walking in front of a bus because I'm stoned (pot will intoxicate you like any other drug) or eating too much chocolate or ice cream bars.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me consequences were just the thing which brought me to a sober life, one where I wasn't running away from it. Consequences are not the reason I stay sober. That would be a pretty sorry state of affairs really. It is a shame your friend thinks he needs something but there is nothing you can do about it. Yup, concentrate on your own recovery and don't use this friend as a role model x
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by jsch View Post
Any thoughts on the issue?
You're right. Focus on your recovery, not his.

As for smoking pot and sobriety...After a ten-year addiction, I quit smoking pot in 1987. I kept drinking because alcohol wasn't my problem.

Here I am, twenty-five years later, because of alcohol. My problem wasn't the substance I was abusing. The problem was me.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is his choice. I personally choose not to use it. It never was an issue to me.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like others have said, it's his recovery.

In deference tho to this website and its rules about the promotion of drug use, and keeping in mind many of our fellow members here whose lives have been ruined by their addiction to marijuana, this thread is closed.

D