Notices

Question on Detox

Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question on Detox

I have a question and hoping someone won't mind giving me a little input. I realize that everyone is different but is it typical for an alcoholic to be put in ICU while detoxing? My XABF was put in ICU to Detox then moved to a regular room. Apparently he was Detoxing on his own then straight to ICU. I care a great deal for him but removed myself bc I had no choice. He is/was a daily drinker and always led to binges ....not a functioning A at all! It's been 6 months since I last had any real contact and wondering if the detox became more dangerous than the past. Thank you
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

detoxing can be fatal.

ICU was probably for the best
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I should've gone to the hospital for my detox, I doubt I would have ended up in the ICU, but I was pretty bad off. Grateful I made it through.
There is a post on here just recently from a member who had a withdraw seizure and was put into a coma, to stop further seizures... He was in ICU for two weeks on life support. This is nothing to play around with.
Best Wishes.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to give me your input! I have learned a lot over the last 5 years. As heartbreaking as the whole thing is, I was glad to hear he was in the hosiptal bc I do realize how very dangerous/fatal detoxing can be. I was just suprised to find it was ICU bc in the past it has just been ER which concerned me. However, it really doesn't matter just glad to hear that he had some medical help. Thank you and best wishes to all of you!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My first serious detox was in the ER, on a kidney machine for two weeks. ICU is a lot less severe. I can't give any medical advice here, but if the BF is still under a doctor's supervision he will be OK. But that is the key, under a doctor's care, as well as your support.

You love him, he loves you, you can help him, but do you need to get sober, too? You can both get thru this and be stronger. if AA is not your thing, try AVRT: Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT I'm over two months now and feel great.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, as stated above, an ICU is for patients at serious risk. The monitoring is much greater than in medical detox. In the latter, it is basically occasional observation along with a sedative if deemed necessary.

If they noted dysrythmia after a cardio exam, or the blood work results showed that there was kidney, liver, or any other organ failure being immanent, they would shift the patient to ICU. It totally depends upon the patient and treatment is unique to the individual.