Notices

sober feelings

Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

sober feelings

so my ah has been 6 days sober. hes been running. drinking fluids, meditating, reading, etc....
but he says hes having hard time getting to sleep etc and that he is just wired i guess you could call it. that he feels like electricity running through him and could just run himself to death.
he also says he feels weird walking and talking now...like he doesnt feel normal. any same feelings from other when sober?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to me, what he is experiencing is sobriety. it doesnt feel normal because what he is used to is being drunk.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Since alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and our bodies fight against its effects, there is a rebound effect when the alcohol is removed. Jitters, insomnia, racing heart and mind, that sort of thing, are all common experiences. This isn't normal sobriety, and things settle down after a while.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Wow. I wasn't able to read nor meditate on my 6th day of sobriety. It was difficult enough just to sit still, wait, I don't think I was sitting still then.

How long had he been drinking? I drank for many years so getting 6 days together was quite an accomplishment for me. Give time time and he'll be able to settle down a bit. Is he working any program of recovery? AA, SMART, AVRT, Life Ring or Rational Recovery? A program of recovery will help him to stay stopped.

I wish you both well.

Love & hugs,
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes awhile for the body to readjust. I didn't start feeling physically recovered for a good 5-6 weeks. It does come though, given time. Perhaps a doctors visit for a check-up would be a good idea too.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Wow. I wasn't able to read nor meditate on my 6th day of sobriety. It was difficult enough just to sit still, wait, I don't think I was sitting still then.

How long had he been drinking? I drank for many years so getting 6 days together was quite an accomplishment for me. Give time time and he'll be able to settle down a bit. Is he working any program of recovery? AA, SMART, AVRT, Life Ring or Rational Recovery? A program of recovery will help him to stay stopped.

I wish you both well.

Love & hugs,

Hes been a problem drinker for almost 7 years. during that time he had been to rehab but relapsed and continued drinking for est 4 years since rehab/last sobreity. he has been going to aa. i think the motivation behind his sobreity was when i put my foot down, stopped enabling and i left so he could seek recovery. this has been the longest weve been away from one another in the last four years and hes been jittery/hyper for a few days now but at the begining /detox he was very sick. puking shaking sweating etc. he now says today he thought that part was over but just started sweating again and feeling blah
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
It takes awhile for the body to readjust. I didn't start feeling physically recovered for a good 5-6 weeks. It does come though, given time. Perhaps a doctors visit for a check-up would be a good idea too.
i agree. a checkup would probably be wise but his main concern is not only the feeling but that he is going to work in a few short hours and hasnt been able to eat or sleep yet. this just started happening...he was able to sleep but it was hard and now he just isnt.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thislonelygirl View Post
i agree. a checkup would probably be wise but his main concern is not only the feeling but that he is going to work in a few short hours and hasnt been able to eat or sleep yet. this just started happening...he was able to sleep but it was hard and now he just isnt.
Again, that happened to me too. I was assured it was normal and would fade. It did and I sleep great now.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by john44 View Post
Again, that happened to me too. I was assured it was normal and would fade. It did and I sleep great now.
I hope so soon. hes very aggitated and i feel so bad for him right now
Old 11-10-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I use essential oils blended by a friend who has a business - she has blends specific for helping to sleep or calm etc. I also went to the natural food store and got melatonin (liquid) and I take that about a half hour before bed...I sleep like a log since I started doing these prior to bed and the calming oils help me in the day (I also use "rescue remedy" in the day if I am feeling wired or agitated...it is for calming as well. These work for me but consult a physician/homeopathic would be my suggestion.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sleep for me was the hardest part in early sobriety. I would say it was about 2-4 weeks before I really started sleeping.

I used to complain that I could no longer sleep forever like I did in my teenage years. Chalked it up to getting old, having a daily routine getting up for work. Nope, alcohol. I sleep like a baby now, 12 hours no problemo. Or maybe it's my body still recovering from the years of abuse...

But I would say what he's experiencing is normal. Bit concerned with the sweating/vomiting, maybe you should see a doctor in case?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thislonelygirl View Post
I hope so soon. hes very aggitated and i feel so bad for him right now
So do I. I've been there and wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy. The good news is: It goes away. The even better news is: He NEVER has to feel that way again!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
to me, what he is experiencing is sobriety. it doesnt feel normal because what he is used to is being drunk.
let me rephrase: early sobriety.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
let me rephrase: early sobriety.
Final stages of detoxification may be more medically accurate. I consider myself in early sobriety and my physical symptoms have been gone for awhile now.