Notices

Want to stop but dont know how

Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to stop but dont know how

Its been three years and the longest I've gone without a drink has been maybe a week. My drinking goes up and down. Somedays I have a bottle of wine, sometimes its a pint of vodka and every couple of months I go on binges where I need to feel intoxicated from day to night. Lately, its just been a bottle of one or the pint 6 out of 7 days a week and that's just because I live in a dry state in which alcohol isn't served on Sundays. I really don't get drunk but, the mere fact that I'm not stopping even though I want to leads me to believe I have a problem. I feel so hopeless and helpless....I just want to stop
Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, Kyana, welcome to SR, there is a lot of support here for you. Congratulations to you for you for introducing yourself and making that decision to change this up.

I joined SR quite a while ago now, and the first thing I found out was that I really wasn't much different than a lot of people with my drinking. I also found out that I could learn how to make a choice about continuing to drink. I could choose to stop, and really do it. It's not easy, but it is very simple.

Do some reading on the forums here, and there is a busy chatroom for real time experience sharing too. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TiG

I started drinking morning to night and it was a shock to me how little control I had. So, I just quit. Found this web site which truthfully was the only reason I was able to gut out the tough cravings. Learned that it's a good idea to include your doctor in the process, so I recommend that to you. Also learned its not easy, and the value this site has is that no one judges you. We've all been there.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome kyana I agree read around how others stopped, ask questions and grab onto what works for you. I think a lot of us fealt hopeless at first I know I did. Know that you can do it.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Kyana.

Stopping alone is very difficult.

So, Welcome to SR.
AA helped be HUGE in early recovery also.

Zube
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone...I feel encouraged
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stop drinking by just staying sober one day at a time. That's all. Just one day at a time. Treat yourself to a reward for staying sober. It can be done. I thought I was a hopeless case and now I'm coming up on three years sober. You can do this too.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just take it one day at a time buddy.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! You took a big step coming here and realizing that you have a problem.

I strongly urge you to contact your doctor and include your doctor in your plan for recovery. Detoxing can very very dangerous, and your doctor can help make sure your detox is as safe and comfortable as possible.

SR is a great place to get support and information. Have you thought about attending meetings for researching other different recovery methods that are out there such as AVERT, SMART, etc.? Having support is one of the most important things in recovery. There is no reason to go through this alone! We are all here for you!

hugs

Maylie
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've found living the AA program to be an awesome adventure
I do hope you will check out your local groups..

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome- I have found there is a better way and that it is possible
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, kyana. You sound a lot like me. Drinking all the time, but not getting drunk. Just in a constant, lazy fog or buzz you could say. One bottle (750ml) a day was about right. I'm right at two months sober now. And, yes, I do have cravings. They never seem to stop.

I would quit when It started getting hard to stand up or walk, then the vomiting, no appetite, not sleeping. Stopping meant a trip to the doctor. You need to do this. he/she can get you meds that will help with the DT's. Withdrawls are not easy, you will get the shakes, wobbly legs, and the other stuff I described. Oh, I forgot hallucinations (for me, anyways)

But that was two "day one's" ago for me. seems like 3 "day one's" in the last 5 years. You are not helpless, or hopeless. Yes, sounds like you have a problem, that's why most if not all of us are here. But you can make the change to sobriety. First, see a doctor. Don't try, after three years, to do this alone. Then find a local AA meeting. Be patient with yourself. Detox could take a week or more.