Notices

Quitting Smoking During Sobriety

Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Smoking During Sobriety

So, I've been sober for 2 Months now and feel like I'm ready to further my healthy lifestyle by removing cigarettes from the picture, I'm not a heavy smoker or anything, typically about 8 - 10 smokes a day, but sometimes more as I've used it as a coping mechanism early in sobriety.

Anyone else have any experience or suggestions on the matter? Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit at the same time I quit drinking - it seemed to make sense to me that way seeing as most of my smoking was when I was drinking.

It worked for me...but others have found that hard.

I wish you the best tho - and remember we have a smoking forum here too

D
Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

I say go for it as long as you don't inhibit your recovery, because as us smokers all know, you are going to be frustrated for a while without the nicotine to calm it down.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, that is taking on too much. Last time I tried to quit I relapsed.

I love my cigs and coffee and they are my only vices. I am goings to try to quit at 6 months.

Have you tried an e cigarette?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered

I too had a 8-10 cig/day habit. I smoked for 23 years. About 4 months into recovery, I wanted to quit smoking. I talked to my sponsor and she said that I could use the steps with my nicotine addiction. I did. My last cigarette was September 2009. The Steps really work if they are worked.....with nicotine, too. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go for it and good luck!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd only been a light smoker for about 8 months near the end of my drinking days. Long story short, I weaned off smokes onto Swedish Snus these last two months.

It was successful, as I had a smoke about 6 weeks ago and it absolutely repulsed me.

Anyway, today is day one being Snus free and will be riding the nicotine withdrawl train this week.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I was a very heavy smoker (25 a day). Relapsed on alcohol whenever I tried to stop. Patches no good. HOWEVER, I stopped two weeks ago with the help of a patch and an ecigarette. They are amazing! I never thought I could do it. I'm only 3 months sober, but had to stop due to asthma. It has worked like nothing before.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In my opinion if you feel ready for it, give it a try. I know for me (at day 13), right now it would be a recipe for relapse. I learned in rehab that for many alcoholics we tend to be overachievers (ie we want everything right NOW, for me I usually want everything 5 minutes ago, LOL). I will say probably for me I may give it several months into my own sobriety to try another quit attempt.

Remember, everyone is different and this for you could be a perfectly safe, reasonable time to quit. Good luck to you! Hope this helps.

~Kricket
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, 2 months and you're ready to take on giving up smokes too! God bless you...

Old timers told me early on to not run out of smokes. Personally I had enough on my plate in early sobriety without that (plus all the good meetings were smoking back then).

To each their own. I've seen people do it early on and get through it. The important thing is to not beat yourself up if you break down and buy a pack day 3 or confuse going back to smokes with failure in your sobriety.