Notices

Empty Tomb and AA

Old 04-10-2004, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

Empty Tomb and AA

Wow its time again to celebrate Easter..The 12 Steps are awesome...and God is awesome...I am thankful we still can rejoice this weekend...An empty tomb is pretty cool...I mean who else rose from the dead...AA was founded upon born again Christians faith,,,and testimony...I am thankful its true and the 12 steps work......Steve

P.S. For all others who abstain through self will or another way I support
your recovery...and you are in my prayers....
Old 04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Happy Easter Steve. I always thought AA was founded upon the belief that one drunk helping another drunk stands a better chance of remaining sober.

DD
Old 04-10-2004, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

xxxx

Last edited by Me2; 04-10-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

Dan maybe youre missinformed

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Happy Easter Steve. I always thought AA was founded upon the belief that one drunk helping another drunk stands a better chance of remaining sober.

DD

Check it out dude

http://www.dickb.com/articles/bible_roots_dsb.shtml

But you may not want too...steve
Old 04-10-2004, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

DD
Your not going to tell me your Higher Power is your tooth brush,are you..or your gun....or your old ladys bra,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,steve
Old 04-10-2004, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Whatever works for you Steve. Thanks for the link. Nothing I didn't know though.
And I find tremendous empowerment in my wife's delicates.

DD
Old 04-10-2004, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

Aint so..bro

Why does it bother you that AA founded on God ? I simply find that odd..steve
Old 04-10-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Ain't so bro? But i do dig my wife's underwear.
And I am not bothered by your belief that "AA was founded on God".
Simply isn't mine Steve. Why does that bother you?

DD
Old 04-10-2004, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

delicates.

Whatever works for you Steve. Thanks for the link. Nothing I didn't know though.
And I find tremendous empowerment in my wife's delicates.

DD

And what does that mean...? ? please use your obvious mental prowess to
enlighten us....What are you trying to say,,, I mean I dont get it Dan..is she a jackhammer,,,steve
Old 04-10-2004, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

See now you're getting testy. And you've just showed me my recovery program is working well just now. Anyway, care answering the question in my previous post?
Or are you back to the pre-crash mode of posting to pass the time?

DD
Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

Dan

See now you're getting testy. And you've just showed me my recovery program is working well just now. Anyway, care answering the question in my previous post?
Or are you back to the pre-crash mode of posting to pass the time?

DD
Im waiting for you..Dan....you say your dangerous Dan,,,,but my cat is worse...you should be dangerous Dandilon...or Dandilion...cause you have no facts on AA's origin...just like Don S had none.....Dan please think before you speak....steve
Old 04-10-2004, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dan

It's dandelion I believe Steve.
DD

PS: I'm just keeping Don's seat warm!!
And my question from before?
Old 04-10-2004, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

Psalm 22

In Psalm 22 God fortold His own death,,,1500 years before it acutally happened....(a historical fact) its was 300 years later before crucfixtion was even discovered by the Persian's...so Dan please before you lecture me about AA,why dont you re-read the 12 steps.......and study history..there is an empty tomb...there are 12 steps...if you disagree maybe I need some FACTS rather than your oppinion...Steve
Old 04-10-2004, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

Here's a fact Steve. I'm not lecturing you about AA. I'm not lecturing you about anything. Here's another fact Steve. You're a preacher without answers. Simple as that. I'm going to eat a peach now and read.

DD
Old 04-10-2004, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Let's see, both the Big Book and the "Good Book" were written by men. We as alcoholics are asked to believe in a higher power (which "I" don't believe to be a toothbrush) in which many people have different forms of belief.

As step 3 so eloquently ends and step 11 notes, "...as we understood Him"

Keep it simple and keep sobriety.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Live and let live.

Let there be no gossip or critisim of one another instead let the love understanding and peace of the program grow in you one day at a time.. Lifes too short...Trish.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Me2
Paused

Reading..

Here's a fact Steve. I'm not lecturing you about AA. I'm not lecturing you about anything. Here's another fact Steve. You're a preacher without answers. Simple as that. I'm going to eat a peach now and read.

DD

What a concept....Dan.....Enjoy

:sink
Old 04-10-2004, 09:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

because i am a lover not a fighter-- i am including this disclaimer before chiming in...
this is in no way meant as a criticism...i mean it only in good will. perhaps ME2 you should post this kind of post on christian's in recovery. while i appreciate your sentiments and gratitude for christ i am not a christian and do not like to see people at odds over religious or philosophical concepts when we should be focusing on our recovery. i understand your enthusiasm for what you believe but not all of us believe christian tenets.
it's kind of like a smoker lighing up and not asking anyone if it will bother them when we non-smokers are not expecting it. if there is a smoking area provided i can avoid the smoke and not be offended and then we all can hang out and enjoy each other without conflict in the general areas. i think maybe the gratitiude list would be appropriate as well. i mentioned my practice but not by name or in detail so that i would not offend anyone in my post. anyhow i felt the need to comment because i run into this alot in the day to day and at meetings etc. as a non-christian. all religions and practices have something to offer. without anger we can keep out minds open and have a healthy dialogue and agree to disagree if we have to. i am glad that Dan posted because i think this is something that does need a healthy peaceful dialogue. there is no right or wrong.....
don't shoot i'm only the piano player!!! and these are my thoughts and feelings.
hugs- alice
Old 04-10-2004, 10:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dan

well said,

A.A. WAS founded on the principle that one drunk can help another stay sober.

Steve

I am not modorator of this board, but I think once again you are way out of line,
a lot of thought and wisdom went into the writing of the big book, and the traditions.

if your looking for another debate, or more disharmony please take it somewere else.

Jay
Old 04-11-2004, 10:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For some reason, steve, you think I've been arguing with you about the religious history of AA. From your link and other sources, I've concluded that Dr. Bob was very religious--possibly fundamentalist--and that Bill Wilson was less so. In fact, your link indicates that the program was already taking two somewhat different directions:

These special Akron features differed substantially from the Oxford Group approaches and principles with which Bill Wilson had been indoctrinated on the East Coast. They did not involve the Four Absolutes, nor the 5 C’s, nor “Restitution,� nor “Guidance,� nor “sharing for witness,� nor other distinctly Oxford Group ideas with which Bob and Bill were both familiar from their respective Oxford Group connections.

The Akron prayer meetings, Bible studies, discussions from devotional literature, confessions of Christ, encouragement as to church affiliation and Christian outreach were a distinct characteristic of the Akron program. They were not emphasized in New York.

Many on this forum have expressed a different approach to the concept of a higher power than yours. You seem to think that any sobriety which isn't based on a fundamentalist born-again Christian faith is somehow flawed or inadequate.

Would you think that AA would be better or more effective if it operated that way? How many current members do you think would remain with it? And what would you then suggest for non-believers who wished to become sober? That they must convert to truly achieve long-term sobriety?

Nice post, Alice! And best wishes on this most important holiday of your faith, steve.
Don S