Notices

Found a sponsor....

Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found a sponsor....

Went to my second AA meeting. Would have actually liked to go to the one on Saturday but had a work commitment. I looked forward to it all week and as I walked in the room I saw someone I recognized. This was a fear. I'm not sure why. I froze and then I felt relief..... I hope my being there didn't scare him away. He's new too apparently.

Anyways. Found a sponsor and I am really excited to start working through the steps with her. Funny thing this first week. It was so easy I almost convinced myself I mustn't have THAT serious of a problem.

I am not really worried about the next couple of weeks. It will be week 4. I'm going away on business and will have a hotel room all to myself (last business trip my box of wine sat waiting to welcome me to the room after long and grueling work days).

Also...none of my colleagues know I am no longer drinking and it is practically part of the work culture to retire to someone's room for pre-dinner drinks, have a couple with dinner and at least once before we all head to separate corners of the country have a night out to whoop it up.

Will be working on a plan between now and then.

Week 1 down.
Only 24 more hours to go
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting a sponsor is a big move....Sounds like you are making some good choices....I found studying that book was a big help for me.....especially the first 103 pages. Keep on keeping on!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's good news trailrunrbyday

D
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a very similar experience. At nearly 30 days, I had a business trip. Hotel and preplanned dinners with local friends. Dinners were always including drinks. Then pubs for sports and such. My norm was a 12 pack or two of Guinness in the hotel fridge. I explained to my local friends and close coworkers that I had stopped drinking. They were fully understanding and supportive.

I had gone to meetings ahead of time and expressed my concerns. I had a plan. I had phone numbers, I knew meeting locations and times in the city I was going to.

Just prior to the trip, I had gotten a sponsor. Someone who liked to text, email, phone. I was so at ease. A random text during the day checking in. Being able to send a note as it got closer to the end of the day. After work, making contact and expressing concerns. Attending a meeting. My sponsor tells me to plan my day around my meetings.

Now I love attending meetings out of town. Such a relief when you walk in the rooms. Seeing other visitors from out of town. Business trips are easy with a plan.

Good luck. You are working on your plan.

1 week to go! You're not alone!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done....Congratulations to both of you....