Notices

boredom - once a trigger

Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Talking boredom - once a trigger

In my short time being sober, I have NOT struggled with boredom. I keep myself occupied with a plethora of small activities; nothing productive. Actually, not productive at all. Just stuff to occupy my mind and perhaps even entertain me a bit.

I have identified boredom as a playground for my AV. I realized today/tonight after work I feel a bit bored.

My next thought was odd. I am actually happy I feel boredom. Real, honest to goodness boredom vs. the anxiety for a buzz.

I can now use my healthy mind and body to figure out what to do with my boredom. Perhaps something productive for a change and not just time consuming nothingness.

Hmmmm. The options feel endless. Time to end contemplation about getting stuff done and time to make some progress.

Can anyone relate to what I mean? Maybe someone 4 - 8 months sober? I guess I shouldn't look for validation, but when someone can relate to my feelings/thoughts it oftentimes brings a level of justification that maybe I am on the right track.

----

Last edited by tammy711; 10-29-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: fixed a misspelling
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Tammy, I'm on day 28. Also doing AVRT. I totally relate To the boring factor. I'm trying to figure out new hobbies but get bored even doing that. LOL! If you find something drope me a lifeline ;-)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's the way to turn lemons into lemonade Tammy. Wish you the best.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I can identify with that, Tammy. I didn't set out to find things to fill open time slots that used to be wasted by drinking and being drunk, they just appeared. Not all at once either, but the opportunities presented themselves at the perfect time in my recovery for me. I now have two or three committed activities that contribute variously to my physical, mental and financial health that take about 20 hours a week.

It took a while, but I got my life back. It helped to know that since I could quit drinking, I could probably achieve just about anything I put my mind to. And you are right, our options are limited only by our imagination.