Notices

Friggin sleep.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friggin sleep.

Sleeping has never been easy for me as far back as I can remember. One of the biggest reasons I began drinking heavily was to fall asleep (although I now understand one doesn't actually get a "good" nights sleep when passed out drunk). Anyways you'd think that sleeping would become a bit easier after nearly 60 days of sobriety (60 on Halloween go figure) yet for me it hasn't and it's driving me a little nuts. I do all sorts of things to help me fall asleep but they're not helping so much. Anyways I'm just pissed off and needed to vent. Come to think of it I'm a bit hot tempered these days, more so than usual, getting annoyed with many things alot. I've been thinking about a new workout program-boxing or something where I can punch something instead of someone (which I hate to admit I've done in the past). It's this kind of crap that makes me contemplate hitting the bottle. Anyways I'm rambling so a big thanks for listening, goodnight, stay strong.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ya sleep can suck some times. Im a shift worker so I understand. Only thing I can think of is drinking a big glass of milk and reading a book works wonders on me although that may not be your thing.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I changed my entire bed routine. As above it may not be your thing but a glass of icy water while I soak in a very hot steamy candlelit bath(ok, just give it a chance LOL).... and then I climb into bed(which I make every morning so it feels nice and smooth) and read somethng relaxing with a tea. Some nights I turn on some really soft music but none with words or I listen to the words LOL. Any instrumental....classical, soft jazz....

might work.
does it for me.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on your 60 days! That was huge for me!
Took me three months to start to get sleep and it wasn't really good until six months. Hang in there, this too shall pass. The short temper and sleeplessness makes for a grouchy disposition for any of us. The one thing that kept me going was the determination to never have to go through detox and PAWS ever again. (I had difficult PAWS for six months) two years sober now and all is as normal as a human can get!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By your name I guess you're a runner. So am I. I find that dong long runs in the evening of 10 miles+ help fatigue me enough so that I ca sleep. Also Sleepy Time Tea and reading boring literature, War And Peace comes to mind, can help too.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link is useful for you....

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

No I've not tried those tips....as I don't want to sleep and never have
Nor do I work out or run....they also don't appeal to me.

And yet...here I am...a recovered AA alcoholic who lives
with purpose and joy.
Hope your life smooths out soon...
Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meg - Congrats on 60 days. That is huge. One day at a time.

My experience was my body and mind only knew one thing -- getting drunk and passing out. Every day was a fight to get up, stay upright and make it far enough through the day to allow me to start drinking again.

Things like sleep patterns I had to discover in sobriety, and it wasn't right away. If you are like me, I had NO idea what my sleep pattern was. But I discovered it after a few months and it wasn't like anything I would have imagined. A microcosm of my sobriety -- many things are not like I would have imagined but they are all better than I would have imagined.

Cut yourself some slack - your sleep pattern will emerge. You may have a few days when you're tired and dragging, but getting through a day with three hours of sober sleep was a LOT better than three hours of drunken, passed-out sleep.