Notices

Week 1

Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week 1

Well, I finally did it. Been awhile since I've been sober this long, and I'm kinda proud . The first 2 days were the hardest, after that it got easier. I was surprised that I didn't shake or have major PAWS other than the craving, which is sometimes overwhelming, but is losing it's grip thankfully.

The thing that affected me the most was the mental fog. I remember a couple months back when I tried to quit, I was experiencing it and wasn't aware of what it was. I didn't eat much that day (blood sugar was really low), and I nearly wrecked a car it was so bad. Anytime I feel that fog, I eat something sugary and that seems to take care of it. I start to feel fine about 5 min later or so.

I've also found that drinking a soda or having something sweet coupled with st. john's wort (tea form) makes the craving for alcohol much more manageable. I still hate how it’s like clockwork though. Every evening is when I crave it. Last week has been particularly rough on me too, and it’s starting to get cold out (I usually would drink the most during the winter). I sure picked a heck of a week to quit lol. My grand pa who I really look up to drank every day for a very long time from what my Mom told me. I talked to him today on the phone and found out that he hasn’t had a drink in over 3 months, which has really encouraged me to keep going. The forums have been really helpful, lots of good information. I’ve considered giving AA a shot, but I don’t know if I’m ready just yet. In any case, the plan so far is to just keep sober .

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your week

D
Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think AA would be great for you, personally. Hearing others stories and finding similarities and getting numbers are things I think you'll find inspiring judging from your post.

7 days IS a milestone! The sugar helps! I drank a lot of lemonade in my first two weeks. The fog and all that has lessened now that I'm 4 weeks in

The longer you go the less intensive and frequent the cravings are. As you've stated it's already gotten easier, and it continues to.

Nights pass now where I don't spend it staring at the clock waiting for the store to close. I still have cravings but not like I did and I'm only a few weeks ahead of you.

Just take it one day at a time

I know meetings are scary but read up on them, continue to post here, even just go down the where a meeting is being held and sit in the parking lot, build up to going in.

Congratulations on your 7 days! Keep it up!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Skywalker!!! 7 days is absolutely worth celebrating....as a matter of fact, EVERY day is and this is a milestone. Look to the next one and do it one day at a time.

I have to agree about the meetings. I went to a meeting petrified and not hopeful I would be comfortable...I just was trying to build any resources I could around me to help me....knowing it might be easier to stumble and fall without some trees to grab onto. I went into the meeting and I am still rolling around my spirituality and certainly NOT at all interested in organized religion so I decided to shelf that particular *GOD* concern and just go.

BEST move I have made so far(well, aligning myself with others who have gone through this and embraced the AA program)..I met friends, I felt supported and I was motivated to have a story to tell of recovery. I left there with two more phone numbers and those people have checked on me a couple of times in the last week.

Just give it a chance....and from what I hear try various ones....they all have different vibes and offer different atmospheres.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

A week? Awesome Skyhawker! Keep us posted as you go.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oops...LOL SkyHAWKer....my son is into Star Wars....oops
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was not thrilled at the idea of going to AA....however had I not
I certainly would have missed out on what for me has been an
awesome adventure in finding purpose and joy in recovery...

Blessings to you and your Grand Dad...
forward is always the correct direction

Thanks for shareing your progress with us...
well done...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations Skyhawker! I remember my first week like it was yesterday. I definitely had "mental fog". It did get better as the days passed. I spent most of my time at SR reading everything I could find. It was my second home and the support was awesome! I also researched ALL recovery programs and picked what I thought would work for me. I wish you continued success as you move forward.