Notices

does anyone recognize this?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

does anyone recognize this?

Smoke, nothing but smoke. There’s nothing to anything—it’s all smoke.

What’s there to show for a lifetime of work, a lifetime of working your fingers to the bone?

One generation goes its way, the next one arrives, but nothing changes—it’s business as usual for old planet earth. The sun comes up and the sun goes down, then does it again, and again—the same old round. The wind blows south, the wind blows north. Around and around and around it blows, blowing this way, then that—the whirling, erratic wind. All the rivers flow into the sea, but the sea never fills up. The rivers keep flowing to the same old place, and then start all over and do it again.

Everything’s boring, utterly boring— no one can find any meaning in it. Boring to the eye, boring to the ear.

What was will be again, what happened will happen again. There’s nothing new on this earth. Year after year it’s the same old thing.

Does someone call out, "Hey, this is new"? Don’t get excited—it’s the same old story. Nobody remembers what happened yesterday. And the things that will happen tomorrow? Nobody’ll remember them either.

Don’t count on being remembered.

-----
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tammy,

I went back and read your old posts and saw some real insight and good stuff you are processing in your recovery! Also see that you are still in early recovery and having a bit of a low day today... you do know that your brain is trying to rebalance and blaze normal neural pathways and you will experience bluer days when you are low on certain brain chemicals?

Yes... God set the stars in the heavens and created this incredible planet called earth and he created you and knew you before you were born! And yes... at times we can be overwhelmed with the incredible beauty, diversity, wonder of this amazing planet we live on and some days we are bored to tears at the "sameness" of it all.

But... to everything there is a season and you are in a season of a recovery and it will be a roller coaster of emotions. But... God created us to think like him and His ways are higher than our ways and that is where the "sameness" of the days can become more exciting as we determine to learn more about his ways, his thinking and enjoying the world he gave us.

Back in February of this year I was devastated and my life was a dark and sad place. 7 months later I was over it and had a glorious time for 4 weeks in the Florida Keys... one of the best times with myself and with God I have ever had! I so enjoyed myself and the wonder of the sunsets and the ocean...one of my favorite, favorite places to be.

And that is the joy of life... that is it ever changing and it is hope that keeps us going when we are in a dark place. And for those of us who believe in God it is our faith in knowing that He cares for us and has a plan for us for all eternity and this life is only a blip on the radar screen!

And this "blip" can be great...especially for those of us in spiritual recovery. More will be revealed and there is a hope within you... and those pesky brain chemicals will get sorted out in time.

Keep the faith...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a big bible person but I recognize it. And I understand its meaning completey.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yes, Tammy, this is a version of The Book of Ecclesiastes, a recounting of a speech given in maybe 300 BC, possibly by Solomon. It appears in The Bible, The Talmud, and Pete Seeger.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

some people find that passage very cynical and negative, I have always found it very true, and thus comforting. Not to take anything too seriously, enjoy what you have, but let it go when it's time is over.

There is so very much in life that is good, but it is all fleeting. I am learning (not willingly) to eat what's on my plate, enjoy it, but not expect it to last, and not spend TOO much time mourning it...lest I miss the next invitation to the party of life.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No... l do not recognise that... not at all...
Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

But we are here, and it can be a joy to behold
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kinda strange, but I just read this a couple days ago. Its the very first part of ecclesiastes. What an excellent way to start a new book of the bible lol.