Notices

5 months sober and a little lost....

Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wish we had morning meetings here. Mind you, I start work at 7.30. Often wonder why when no-one else comes in before 8! Think I may need to take a long hard look at my working schedule and re-think. I'm the first one in and the last one out. And I still don't get everything done. Perfectionism. My sponsor tells me straight this isn't something to be proud of especially when it comes before my sobriety.
Anyway, I've spoken to her and she was a bit tough on me.
I'm meeting with her almost every evening next week. Things will get back on track!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Jeni,

Lack of sleep sucks the life right out of us! Have you tried melatonin? It is what our body produces to induce sleep. It is all natural and over the counter and can be found at any drug store or health food store.

There are many things you can do to help you sleep. Please google it and read about our bodies and what helps us create good habits to induce deep healthful sleep. Thsi includes when, how and what we do to prepare for sleep.

A few good nights rest and you will feel like a brand new woman!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
5 months sober today, and I should be doing better than I am.

I'm finding it near impossible to reach a balance in my life. I am working very hard, long stressful days, and I'm not sleeping well.
This week I've missed all my meetings through work commitments, and through being too plain exhausted.

I'm not close to drinking, but I've lost momentum. Work and not sobriety has become my number 1 focus.

I'm feeling overwhelmed and a little lost.

Still, I've got a week off after today, I need to push through step 5, and move forward. I guess I for the first time am having a nagging doubt about whether I will make it. Just admitting this has helped.
Hi Jeni,

Well done on your five months! Something I'd like to pass on to you is when we sober up and we're deeply involved with our lives, we can sometimes feel as if the quality of our sobriety is at risk. We can begin to wonder if we're putting enough into our program work. We feel the stresses of the daily grind and think there must be more to being happy and sober.

I suppose these kind of questions for me come down to knowing is the glass half-full or half-empty. I always go for the half-full understanding, that is unless my life is truly being messed up somehow...

If it's simply my being overwhelmed, and otherwise my program is working, then it becomes clear I really would do best to relax and trust what has already worked to keep on working. Sobriety lifestyle is a powerful experience, and it just dosen't fade and whither as easy as sometimes people suggest can happen.

To have five months in place, you've accomplished alot already. Sure, looking ahead, there is more to do of course, and yet its all too often those young in sobriety have doubts.

I would suggest you come to a better understanding of the power and strength already present in your sober life, and perhaps even nourish some extra gratitude for being so successful in your five months. Gratitude is a wonderful experience, and don't be shy to let yourself feel your full measure.

Its been along time since I was five months sober back in 1981, but I still remember how fragile it can sometimes feel, and how easy it is to somehow look to blame ourselves for that early fragility.

Of course its your call, but I wonder if you can somehow see the wonderful progress you have made, and look for a different understanding of thinking you should be better today then you seem to be with yourself?

For sure, some ongoing changes are always required to have and maintain healthy balance, and those changes are best discovered with a positive attitude towards our accomplishments, rather than towards our apparent failings.

Five months is so very early in an entire life of sobriety, so be easy on yourself as you examine how to best reduce your stresses, improve your sleep, and continue with your work. The program will look after itself as you do it, so don't worry about your progress.

Unless you have specific fears of being unsure of your sobriety, which would of course then require your immediate attentions, I suggest you simply learn how to make small adjustments in your day to day living so as to ease yourself along as you progress with your program.

Hope you have better days ASAP.