Notices

Liver values and blood tests

Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver values and blood tests

I guess this one might have been hit a lot. I drink too much every day 6-10 beers. Thinking myself (to be) responsible I get a full medical every 6 months, blood, lung function, chest XRay. I'm not really fooling myself though.
My previous Gamma GT reading was 7 months ago and was 337. my one from last week was 744. Which probably puts me as screwed as a heavy drinker can be. I just can't find any info on how long I have to sort the problem out before I collapse. Plenty of times I have found it possible to give up for a period of three months or so; but then fall back into it. I'm probably in a very bad way now, though I don't feel it apart from some nausea and a lack of hunger, I still do sport every day. Any inputs? Thanks in advance
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That would be a question for your physician to discuss with you. We aren't doctors and cannot give medical advice or opinions. I hope you will discuss your alcohol habits with your doctor and seek help before it's too late.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lowenbrau - welcome
Have you asked your Dr?

D
Old 10-18-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I read that caveat after I posted, sorry. it is only general support that can be provided here.
So I've decided to stop a 15 year habit on the 27th of October, on my own, very cold turkey. And messages of support, not advice or opinions would be welcome.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Lowenbrau - welcome
Have you asked your Dr?

D
My Doctor advises I "must do something". That is about it
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it would be way better to sort out the problem now before you collapse - and that's coming from someone who collapsed, Lowenbrau

D
Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I gave up 4 times in the last 10 years. Had the night sweats, the legs shakes, the sickness and the depression. I doubt my Doctor is interested in providing anything more than a recommendation for the the advice büro. He took the blood samples and provided the results. I do not wish to be institutionalised, even for a short period, under any circumstances. So if I can make the physical stuff alone, then the rest can come in a group. If it goes bad-Then it goes bad. I've been some way around this block and know what this might mean. Thanks for the input
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're dissatisfied with your Dr, I'd get a new one - or at least a second opinion

D
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...