Notices

Can take 60 Hours

Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can take 60 Hours

I was reading in my commercial pilot manual under the section where it talks about the effects of alcohol, drugs, and tabacco. It stated that it can take up to 60 hrs for your body to get rid of all the alcohol in it, especially when drinking heavily. I thought that was kinda interesting, because I've noticed that the first 3 to 5 days or so is the hardest and it gets a bit easier after that. The regulation for pilots and alcohol is "A pilot may not act as a member of the crew if they have consumed alcohol within the past 8 hours, and the blood alcohol content must be less than 0.04. I think driving a car is 0.08.

I had a chat about it with an instructor, and he told me that one drink has the effect of 4 at 10,000ft pressure altitude. Most airliners operate at 6,000ft pressure altitidue when cruising at 30,000ft. No wonder people get wasted when they only had 2 drinks while flying.

Its been a week or so since I've been trying to stop. Its harder than I thought... Going to keep trying though!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy for you that you decided to quit! I'm flying sober since october 02, I feel sooo much better then hungover all the time.

You can do this!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Skyhawker View Post
... The regulation for pilots and alcohol is "A pilot may not act as a member of the crew if they have consumed alcohol within the past 8 hours, and the blood alcohol content must be less than 0.04. I think driving a car is 0.08.
The limit for a professional truck driver holding a CDL license is also .04
and I was told age, health and organ condition can make the detox time longer for some individuals.

80 hours sounds like a long time for a normal person but for someone with health issues it might be legit.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was flying private planes...I had this expereince

2 of us flew up to Atlantaic City for lunch.
I had 1 and a half Bloody Mary...not very strong either
He drank Ice Tea..

On the way back to our home field..in a plane I knew well...
my fellow piolet suggested I take over and land.

My depth perception was too far off...I went around 3 times
and asked him to take over to land.

That was it for me...no more flying after drinking.

Glad to know you are heading into sobriety...it was the
best decision I ever made..
Please get busy and find your way into recovery.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When we would travel, it was usually first class (I was spoiled) because my dad's business card would rack up so many points that the upgrade was free. And what does it mean to fly first class other than bigger seats, and what they call a "meal"? Free booze of course . I wouldn't drink while flying, mainly because if they needed a pilot for some reason, I wanted to be available. That and most flights were in the morning, and for whatever reason I have always refused to drink in the morning, no matter how bad the hangover is. Anyways, my dad and step mom took full advantage of the free booze and always made asses out of themselves lol. After like 3 mimosas they would be sloshed. I vividly remember one particular flight, it departed at 9am and by the time we reached our cruising altitude they were hammered.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I remember flying to China from the states. Most terrible I ever felt was heavy drinking on the plane for 10+ hours then taking a xanax to calm down. When I hit customs I was in so much of a daze and exhausted. One of the most terrible flights.
Also, my hubby pilot took family and I to the FL keys in a private plane. THis trip happened after a wedding where I had a ton to drink, we hit turbulence over the everglades and I threw up in the plane-the only barf bag on plane was being used.
Never want to feel that sick again. I do romanticize drinking and flying-being the passenger though.