Notices

Regret

Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sorry for such a long delay, everyone. Haven't really had a chance to sit at a computer in a while. My living situation has become a bit of a mess.

I'm on my 11th day sober. The withdrawals weren't too too bad because I'd already been weaning off a bit.

SlimSlim, I appreciate your post. I do think I need to pursue additional help with my alcoholism. It's been a long year of struggling, detoxes, relapses, etc. Going it alone obviously is leading me to the same result each time. I haven't been to a meeting yet, because I've been staying at a shelter (just for now) and need to be there by a certain time right after work. Fortunately, though, this means I have almost no opportunities to drink throughout the week. In fact, since my first day sober, alcohol has not entered my thoughts very much, as my days are full and structured. And sometimes when I do think about alcohol, I'm repulsed by the idea of drinking. Of course, this is familiar and quick to sway.

I can't afford another relapse because its destruction is unreal. A couple years ago, I could get drunk for a few days, wake up and my life was still intact and basically unchanged. But in more recent relapses, with so much more on my plate, I've seen alcohol take pieces out of my life and wreck them. It was my physical health that I was so worried about before (and still am, of course), but I can see now that if I were to go out and get drunk, a week later I may very well have taken 10 steps backwards and be right back in a rut.

Maybe this weekend I'll check out an AA meeting in the morning or afternoon. There's one nearby that somewhat I'm partial to, but with my schedule I can't currently make that one. I'll try to find something.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

More than 3 weeks sober now. Still sticking with the plan. Haven't faltered. Time will tell when the cravings will return, and perhaps it'll be when I start to allow myself to get comfortable. My opportunities to drink are very limited for now, and with so much going on in my life and very little time to waste, I've kept myself occupied. The biggest threat to my sobriety has always been idleness.

I can no longer do what I've done in the past and claim with certainty that I'll be sober a month, a week, a day from now. I stretch myself too thin and lose sight of the present. What's different this time around is that I'm actively making changes not only to my plans for the future, but for my life as it is day to day, hour by hour. Lately I no longer find myself associating liquor with relief, but with chaos. But there are still times that I must consciously remind myself of that.

Wishing you all the best. You've all been very supportive throughout this difficult year for me, and I appreciate that. I'm sober today.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Thanks for the update, Noro--that is wonderful to hear!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats, glad to hear Noro!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Awesome stuff!!