Notices

I'm back...

Old 10-14-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back...

Hi all, I had posted about this time last year about getting sober, and I WAS for a brief period, maybe two weeks, but that's it. Been drinking daily since. I only drink in the evening prior to bed, no cravings at all during the day, but in the evening it's not unusual to have 12+ drinks until I pass out.

Trigger for the booze is boredom, and that I can't wind down...I'm single/no kids no nothing. I'm fairly high energy and have trouble falling asleep. Like right now, I'm bored out of my mind. It's 6.37pm and I have another 3hrs to go before bedtime. Yea, I want a drink. There WERE nights in the past when I didn't drink, but then I lie awake with my mind just not shutting off, and I'm worse off the morning after....it's come to the point that I need alcohol to fall asleep/pass out to feel better the next day. (and do it all again)

So...tonight I'm going to try again. I've armed myself with kudzu tea, and also a natural sleep aid, ("sleep+") with the hope that the tea and some willpower will get me through the next 3hrs, and the sleep aid will quiet my mind so I can sleep. Who knows, I'm hoping it'll help, if only a placebo effect. I've also made an app't with my family doctor for the 25th to discuss my problems. Are there meds out that that can kill the cravings?? I know about antabuse, but that's it...?

Anyway, hoping for the best over here

Matt
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, I'm just 14 days sobber. I was exactly where you are. Tought I needed to drink to sleep. Fast forward to now. I sleep super well! Like I don't remember when. But it took TIME. First 5 days was pure hell, hot, cold, nightmares, sweats.

All that to say, Keep sobber for a couple of weeks. It won't kill you! Trust me!
If feel so much better. Don't get me wrong, I have my rough patches. I just tell myself, ho well if that what it takes then bring it! Bring as much pain as you want, it's still better then the Pain I was in
Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Awesome!
Did you ever stop to think that maybe you are a person that does not NEED a lot of sleep?
There are people who do not need 8 hours sleep.
There is an old saying,
"6 hours for a man, 8 for a woman and 10 for a fool".

Maybe take a look at that.
12 drinks is a lot every day.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ho awsome. Forgot to mention, I barelly slepped when I was drinking. I was exausted. I've been sleeping 11 hours every night since sobber. My body is tired... I'm sure it will go back to normal eventually...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awesomeame View Post
Hi all, I had posted about this time last year about getting sober, and I WAS for a brief period, maybe two weeks, but that's it. Been drinking daily since. I only drink in the evening prior to bed, no cravings at all during the day, but in the evening it's not unusual to have 12+ drinks until I pass out.

Trigger for the booze is boredom, and that I can't wind down...I'm single/no kids no nothing. I'm fairly high energy and have trouble falling asleep. Like right now, I'm bored out of my mind. It's 6.37pm and I have another 3hrs to go before bedtime. Yea, I want a drink. There WERE nights in the past when I didn't drink, but then I lie awake with my mind just not shutting off, and I'm worse off the morning after....it's come to the point that I need alcohol to fall asleep/pass out to feel better the next day. (and do it all again)

So...tonight I'm going to try again. I've armed myself with kudzu tea, and also a natural sleep aid, ("sleep+") with the hope that the tea and some willpower will get me through the next 3hrs, and the sleep aid will quiet my mind so I can sleep. Who knows, I'm hoping it'll help, if only a placebo effect. I've also made an app't with my family doctor for the 25th to discuss my problems. Are there meds out that that can kill the cravings?? I know about antabuse, but that's it...?

Anyway, hoping for the best over here

Matt
Hello Matt:

Are you going to AA meetings? Might just be the ticket to get you sober. Worked for me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

good for you - you came back
do you like to read? i always read until i'm tired and sleepy. that might help you too. also i find having a night time routine helps.
others have posted about melatonin on here. i have tried before and it has made me sleepy, but i find i like reading better. best wishes to you!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I drank like you too, always wired without it, could not sleep without drinking. Well, check that, I was actually passing out, not going to sleep. The first few nights were a little rocky while I was detoxing and getting the brain chemicals back into shape again.

Once things got sorted again, the boredom disappeared. It was my lack of motivation that was keeping me bored and anchored to the sofa. The anxiety went away too mostly, and now I can go to sleep easily and sleep well all night. I am sure you will notice positive changes in this way too. Hang in, things will start improving so keep posting, OK?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are back... reading in bed usually makes me very tired..
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

It was not until I tried to cut back/moderate/quit that over time I realised how hooked I was. The addiction is insidious.

The restlessness / intolerance of boredom and needing to feel times were special were symptoms of addiction for me. It took me many years to see that. Now I am sober it is easy to see it in retrospect.

When people who say they are "relaxing with a glass of wine" it gives me the shivers.

Embracing sobriety is the best thing I ever did. Took me years too long.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you will be checking with your doctor...that ammount of
nightly alcohol is way above safe levels.
Please be honest with him/her so to be safe when de toxing...

Here is a link re sleeping problems....

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Welcome back....glad you did not die from drinking...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies I made it through day 1 ok, and slept like a baby for 9hrs. This "sleep+" it's called seems to calm you down and help keep you tired...I was up once, but fell back asleep which usually doesn't happen. I know it's not a long term solution, but I'll take it for now..best sleep I've had in 5yrs I bet!

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Once things got sorted again, the boredom disappeared. It was my lack of motivation that was keeping me bored and anchored to the sofa.
I already noticed that this morning....I was looking for stuff to do around the house and finally did some things which I've been meaning to get to forever. And I only needed one double espresso to get functioning instead of the usual 4, lol :-\

Onto day 2....thanks for the tips so far ppl. I've never been to AA, I'm unsure if I could make it with my work schedule. And that would mean showing locals I have a problem, eeek! Right now noobody knows, I'm a total secret drinker....being single and alone of course makes it easy keeping secrets..!

Heading to the gym shortly...hopefully I'll be able to start lifting more with the added energy I seem to have now

Matt
Old 10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Matt,

Sleeping was always a challenge for me. Convinced myself that I needed alcohol to sleep. It is the total opposite. Alcohol disturbs your sleep cycle. Instead of sleeping, I was instead passed out. Now I sleep pretty well. Five hours in a row the other night. I feel soooo much better in that regard.
As far as meds, it would be good to ask your dr. about. I have taken two different ones called Campral and Naltrexone and they've helped a lot.
I am also really involved with AA. I don't think I could've done it without it. It was hard at first to go and risk seeing people I knew. I kinda hid in the back. Unfortunately, my life took a few negative and very public turns and many ended up knowing what was going on with me. Now, honestly, I could care less who knows. I'm proud to be in AA. I don't shout it from the rooftops but it's no longer secret. And I figure if someone else that I know is there, it's for a similiar reason. And, lastly, for me, I will do anything to get and stay better and embarassing myself is the least of it.