Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Sleep related- After 2 months of sobriety too much sleep?

Notices

Sleep related- After 2 months of sobriety too much sleep?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Sleep related- After 2 months of sobriety too much sleep?

Anyone have this ring a bell? Today I woke up after 7 hours and a half sleep at 10am, then around 5pm I was collapsing almost from fatigue-

Woke up at 8pm only to slither back to another nap around 9:30pm and now woke up at 12:20am, nice I know ... I'm trying to get my sleeping schedule back to my usual but that was just ... crappy- plus I'm just in the 48 hour period without taking any more sleep aid pills- I gave those up after being on them for a week-

But being off the booze for about 2 months and like 2 weeks I was pondering if you could have a day like that...? Anyone ever have anything like that? I've had it before when my body demanded sleep, but this time was so sloppy... I'm 27 also, male, and in pretty good shape might I add- no physical ailments, and I should add earlier in the morning I was shaken up badly by depression- that could have been a link.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

Within 48 hours of getting off sleep "aid" pills.......of course your sleeping is gunna be all out of whack. It takes time and consistency bro. I doubt 2 and half months of not drinking has anything to do with it.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I've heard the entire opposite, even 2 months + without drinking and being sober ... that can make you vulnerable.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I slept a lot my first few months of sobriety. I was always an early bird, but when getting sober, would sleep later and got to bed earlier. I think your body is getting used to being without all those empty calories and adjusting. If your are worried, go to your doctor and have some blood work.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i go to bed at 10 and wake up at 6 everyday and and still need my lunch break nap. but i think thats me just being an old person at 24.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i very much believe that depression can play a big role in sleep (to either extreme) i could sleep at any given point in the day and have been that way for all my life it seems. i think depression has played a role in that... and also alcohol. i know i have been adding a "depressant" to my depression for years.... also aware that this isn't going to change in an instant just because i am not drinking.
best wishes to you!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

It took several months for my sleep to establish a normal pattern.

One it did, it turned out that I'm simply someone who needs a little more sleep than others. Like 9 hours or so. If I don't get that, I feel tired. I don't particularly like that I need so much sleep, but there you have it. For me, a lot of sleep is not "too much", it's simply what I need.