Notices

14 days and feel like such a loser....

Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days and feel like such a loser....

i have not posted in a very long time. i have been in the on again/off again cycle of alcohol these last 2 years. I had a little time under my belt before that. but, have honestly been an alcolic these last 8 years.. of course it got worse and worse, but slowly for me.... Anyway, i have burned so many bridges, permanently messed up relationships, cant get a job,(luckily, no legal troubles) I am just pissed about what my life situation is, and no you cant just change it, i know that.. ... The fact that I am again 2 weeks sober is great, but now I get to feel all of the crap I have been drinking over and it's coming to haunt me in a big way.. I just got a sponsor and go to AA daily.. I think I am doing the right things for recovery, but this all just sucks. I know I can't drink - however, this reality I have made for myself blows...
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Think of it as a new start Pete. I was at a meeting yesterday where lots of people were talking about getting sober being like rebirth, a chance to start over. It made me think about how I am more interested in celebrating my sober date than my birthday because it was something I chose for myself, when I decided to start living. Try not to worry about what went before, the past can stay where it is. Well done on 2 weeks! x
Old 10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi - good to see you again Pete

It takes time to sort out all the consequences from years of drinking - I don;t think there's any way around that Pete?

The good news is, although it may seem like forever at the time, I look back now and I marvel how quickly I was able to get my life and myself back together.

For me it's like the old saying 'mind the pennies and the pounds look after themselves'?

Keep your mind on today, and you will find the months and years will look after themselves Pete...one day at a time is good for now

Congrats on those 2 weeks

D
Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

hi pete,I know just how you feel when your mind gets cleared and all those past experiences resurface,and I too went back to drinking because of that myself.Hang in there,from what people say they fade away and/or we learn to accept and deal with them thoughts and feelings instead of dwelling on them and making us want to go numb again.Day 1 for me and not looking forward to those uncomfortable days and nights AGAIN!
thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too had false starts before I actually quit....please do keep
working at your sobriety....

Welcome back...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey pete,
I am 38 days in. Things changed for the better at a truly amazing rate once I commited (to myself) to doing what i knew deep down had to be done. You have a good start. Keep it going.

Best of luck.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

14 days is a great start, Pete! And try not to beat yourself up for struggling with your sobriety, we all do, and that is why we are here. the good news is that there are many paths to sobriety and being here should help you to find the one that's right for you
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm with you on 14 days, grats to you Pete. I also have lot's of things that surface.
I'm 50k in debts. Everyday I don't drink and smoke cigarettes I tell myself, another 25$ saved! I know it's only going towards paying my debts and it's going to take long to fix my situation. Who cares? I'm sobber, and out of the quicksand I was in! I made myself a goal, 2 years and I'm debt free, I will be 40 then. Sobber, debt free and everything is possible!

Hang in there is what I wanted to say with my blapping. LOL!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pete I am 32 days after 40plus years and many failed trys at getting sober you have 14 good days thats a great start,stick with it and keep posting this is a great place for support it sure has helped me and my wife.Yes we are doing this together with SR
Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Inspiring ford 1967, really beautiful that you and your wife are togheter doing this!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the wonderful support..... I had a strong desire to drink tonight, but I did the right things, called my sponsor, and then went to a meeting.. I went to a fall festival last night and it seemed as though everyone was drinking - I got so jealous and I swear I could taste the beer.. That seemed to really affect me today, all day.. I feel like I am missing something... you know what I mean?