Notices

Situation and encouragement

Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Situation and encouragement

Hi all,

I am new to these forums and just wanted to write a little about my situation. I am a senior in high school and have been involved in a few incidents that have shown I have a problem with alcohol. I was arrested when I was 16 for public intoxication but have made significant and positive progress. I have worked hard to put myself in safe situations and act responsibly but that continues to be a challenge. The idea of heavy drinking no longer really appeals to me, but being in a high school setting where it is very prominent factor it can be hard. Going off to college next fall also worries me as I am afraid that I will be tempted more often. I have developed a strong feeling for self awareness and control, but feel that it could be affected by my environment. I have a great group of friends who provide encouragement as well as my family, but peer pressure is always a problem. I don't want to isolate myself because no matter will I go alcohol will be around in some sort of way. Are there any tips on moderation or techniques to make better decisions? Thank you.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats to u for realizing so at such a young age what took some of years to learn. For me there is no moderation I have one and won't stop, so I have none. Do you have a support system? Focus on today and continuing ur progress today, don't worry about college now. In my case most people who pressure me to drink just want to feel better about what their own drinking. You seem incredibly mature, keep ur chin up
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LotusJemm View Post
Congrats to u for realizing so at such a young age what took some of years to learn. For me there is no moderation I have one and won't stop, so I have none. Do you have a support system? Focus on today and continuing ur progress today, don't worry about college now. In my case most people who pressure me to drink just want to feel better about what their own drinking. You seem incredibly mature, keep ur chin up
Thank you for your feedback, it's reassuring to read what you wrote and I appreciate it. I went to a therapist for about 6 months once a week which helped develop my thoughts and discuss what was going on. It was helpful but became repetitive over time. Thank you again
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

Yeah, I'm all or nothing too. When I realized I had a problem I tried to moderate, but I could never figure out how. Eventually my drinking just got worse and worse and I had no other option but to quit all together.

I had some of the same thoughts about how I would have to isolate once I stopped, because temptation would be everywhere, but in reality it's turned out to be the opposite. I go out and do things more now that I'm sober than I did when I was drinking. I can go to bars and concerts and it doesn't bother me or tempt me to drink.

Since I joined a program of recovery, I've also met a number of young people in the program who met other people their age in the program. Now they all hang out and stuff without drinking. I didn't believe this was possible back when I was their age.

good luck realrunner. I hope you find what you're looking for here.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Thanks for the well written and insightful post, RealRunner. Most of us around here don't have a good history of moderation, so keep that in mind as you are reading our replies. My memories of savoring a well made craft beer, a fine merlot, or a complex single malt got steamrollered by a swimming pool full of cheap vodka. It wasn't easy to do, it took a certain dedication to drink all that.

You have developed a high level of self awareness for such a young (man?), and this can work in your favour. If you want to take your awareness to the next level, see what you can teach yourself about mindfulness. It is a tool and a life skill that will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life.

My advice is to remember that you are your own liquor control board. You always have the ability to choose, in every situation. I wish you well my friend. Keep posting, you are always most welcome here.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Realrunner, Nice share! I have a lot of respect for you. For me, it helps me to remember the misery of my past and to know that I will never go back there again as long as I don't drink! People that don't support your decision aren't your friends, and don't worry about what to say to others- if you want to worry then worry about what you will say to yourself when you look in the mirror with a hangover, worry about who you would have to call to bail you out of jail or worry about who would have to get the call that you were at the morgue-and then celebrate sobriety! Best Blessings to you