Notices

Something is different this time

Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something is different this time

Hi all, I'm sobber since October 02, 2012.

I was a heavy drinker for 20 years. I don't know why but this time arround the withdrawal was really easier then all my other attempts. I don't even feel like drinking at all. I just feel like so much weight is now off my shoulders and I no longer need to feel guilty about my drinking, sleepless nights, hangover every morning, affraid I will smell like booze at work, totally not there with my 6 year old son, all my money I wasted, my health (blood preasure was really high).

This time feels different somehow. Maybe it's because I'm not fighting to not drink and just don't drink? Maybe I abandonned myself to the power of god?

I don't know why but it feels great! I'm finally done with torturing myself constantly and feel proud!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

Congratulations, Thepatman!
Are you getting any support?
AA helped me not only stay sober but stay happy sober!
I strongly suggest giving it a try if you haven't yet.
They say it's the first couple of weeks that are the hardest, but for me the second hardest is after you become complacent, confident that now you might be able to handle it, or you become just plain bored with sobriety.
That is when regularly attending a meeting makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree...Many times I started out with great intentions.....And many times I changed my mind....Sometimes in the same day. I needed a structured program to follow with support from likeminded people....I found that in AA. On my own....I was toast.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will for sure give AA a try. Wish I could have someone to go with, I'm rather shy.

One thing that makes my resolve strong is that i made a promise to myself, my 6 year old son, my passed away mom (from alchool related) my passed away grandpa (from alchool related)

If I was to touch the thing again it would bring such shame that I could never forgive myself. I've decided to break the cycle of Alchoolisme so my son is not exposed to my drinking like I was with my mom. She delt with life problems with it. I will teach my son how to deal differently

Breaking this familly Karma once and for all will be my life on this hearth accomplishement
Old 10-05-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
I will for sure give AA a try. Wish I could have someone to go with, I'm rather shy.
You can call your local AA number and explain that to them....They'll arrange for someone to go with you....I've never met a nicer group of people in my life...Anywhere.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

AA is for you, ThePatman, if you believe you need a spiritual solution to your incurable disease of alcoholism. On the other hand, if you are looking for a self empowered approach, there are good alternatives which include SMART, AVRT, SoS, and LifeRing. SR has a forum for discussion of these and other alternatives to 12 Step programs called Secular Connections. You may find what you are looking for there.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

That's great!! Just don't get too confident in those feelings.. always be aware. When you aren't that's when we are most likely to slip up!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Life changing book I've recently discovered. I have a somewhat similar story as yours. This book is about more than just the 12-Steps (it isn't preachy, more intellectual than the title lets on). Recovery--the Sacred Art: The Twelve Steps As Spiritual Practice.

If you find the book on Amazon, it allows you to read the entire Introduction. That is where I got hooked. Good luck, and as Britt stated, don't get too comfortable. The beginning can be easy when you have strong resolve. Remember - enjoy the journey. There simply isn't a destination with sobriety.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you!!!