Notices

I Think it is Time...

Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Think it is Time...

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I suppose my first step. I am 23 years old, and I drink too much and want to stop. I have entered pilot training for a possible future with the airlines, and there just is no room for booze in that kind of industry, which is a good thing cause its making me quit . I’ve been reading posts on this forum for a month or so and just didn’t have the courage to post anything. Today it hit me pretty hard (major hang over) when I realized I could have rented a plane and flew on such a beautiful day but was stuck on the ground because of last night’s stupidity. I have been trying to quit now for a good 6 months, but did not have anyone supporting me and was going at it alone. This of course led to repeat failures. So far the longest I have gotten was last year for a month, and I miss it. It was harder to sleep, but at least I felt good.

I’ve noticed that when I go a few days without drinking, all my capacities and reactions are very good. Even if I only had 2 drinks, the following day I’m just not “perfect”. I went up with a retired airline pilot recently (36 years with United, 15 of those flying the 747) and he was impressed with the way I flew even though I only had 90 hours. Only 2 in a tail dragger which is what I was flying with him. From what I understand, he is not easily impressed either. So I guess what I’m saying is, I’d really hate to blow it at something I love and am good at. Another thing I noticed was this pilot never ever drank. He stated one time when offered a beer and declined it that “I drank too much when I was younger, I don’t need it”. So I have a feeling he had a similar story to mine. But I haven’t asked him directly, and don’t know if I will. I also noticed, that he was 79 years old and is more active and in better shape than my father who is 53, drinks, and doesn’t eat very healthy. I’ve been flying more and more with this retired pilot, and I’m hoping some good will come out of it, role model wise.

How it all started: I started to drink midway through my junior year when my parents got a divorce (it was an ugly one), my aunt died, and my grand ma died. So I’ve been drinking for a few years. I’ve since gotten over a lot of it and I don’t think I have a “reason” for drinking anymore. It’s just an addiction now more than anything. I have a clean record and want to keep it that way, hopefully I haven’t been drinking so long/much that if I stop suddenly it will cause issues, but I’m not drinking tonight, I’ve made up my mind that far. I realize the dangers of suddenly stopping, but a year ago when I did it, I was fine. Granted that only lasted a month…

I realize my story is a bit long, but thanks for reading . I’m hoping by taking this first step, I can keep going. Thank you all for the support and making something like this great forum, possible.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

Welcome! Good luck to you on your journey!

In my own experience I could quit for periods of time (hours, days, maybe a couple months), but I always went back. The only way I've been able to stay quit was by joining a program of recovery.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
oak

Originally Posted by Skyhawker View Post
I realized I could have rented a plane and flew on such a beautiful day but was stuck on the ground because of last night’s stupidity.
I was struck by that statement.

Welcome! I'm glad you posted. I hope you find what you need here.

It's great that you love flying so much. I always think it is cool when someone has something that they love doing that much.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Skyhawker
The support I found here was a game changer for me - I know it can be for you too

look forward to seeing you around,
D
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was struck by that statement.
Sorry, I'm just frustrated with it. I should have said "last night's binging", calling it "stupidity" isn't the right thing to say.

In either case, thank you all for the support .
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish I was as wise when I was 23 as you are! You seem to know what you have to do, maybe you just need a nudge. Look at is this way, you want two things: 1) to drink all you like and 2) live the life of an airline (or other type of) pilot. Which one will give you greater rewards and take you further in life?

Good to see you here, Skyhawker.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, Skyhawker, glad you found us. Calling last night's binge stupidity might be the perfect description, I dunno. You have this talent and career ahead of you, and you are at the least delaying it, putting it all at risk at the worst. Maybe it is time that you start calling this spade a @#$&! shovel.

You are reaching out to us, and that is a great start, but I think you have a strong ally already on your team. This retired 747 jedi sounds like he is quite impressed with you and your talent already. I will bet you a 100 hours in a G4 that he will be happy to sit down with you sometime over a coffee if you ask him. 'I get the feeling, sir, that you don't drink anymore, and I'd like to talk to you about it sometime'.

You already have framed this question as a choice between two alternative futures for yourself, and you understand that this choice is no one's but your own. I say go for it. You will not regret it.