Notices

Our Drinking Horror Stories

Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our Drinking Horror Stories

I wasn't sure if this topic was appropriate or not so if you think it's too morbid just ignore it. Many of us tho have seen within our own family structures how bad drinking outcomes can be. In my own family at a Christmas day party 1995 the phone rang, it was for my cousin who was at the house. Her son hit a telephone pole on the way home from a friends house, both he and the passenger died. He was drunk at the time.

Hunting season 1998 2 uncles were at a cabin in Bradford County, Pa. They ran out of booze so made a late night beer run before the bars all closed. They were intoxicated at the time, they never made it back to the cabin. The car was found 2 days later, they had left the wreck but both died a short distance from the vehicle. Bled to death, massive injuries and loss of blood was the cause.

2005, a cousin who had about a fifth a day habit blew out an aneurysm in his stomach and died before they got him to the hospital. He had been warned repeatedly about his drinking. He was 51 years old.

There's no way of knowing how many others went to early graves because of alcohol but most who were heavy drinkers died before 60 years of age. If anyone cares to share feel free, if you feel it's too morbid just ignore.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post

There's no way of knowing how many others went to early graves because of alcohol but most who were heavy drinkers died before 60 years of age. If anyone cares to share feel free, if you feel it's too morbid just ignore.
It is a well kept secret among doctors that they try to avoid putting "Alcohol related" on death certificates if possible. This is to be consistent with their Hippocratic Oath: "First do no harm".

It can only cause pain and embarrassment for the family and can even interfere with insurance policies in some cases.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is an old post of mine...and this year...more deaths occured
3 men I know shot themselves ...my guess due to on going depression.
Another let his diabetes go un checked...he too died.

It's easier for me to re post ..in the hopes someone will be spurred
into action

Hi Everyone....

On another thread I mentioned
I had lost 26 friends since I found recovery in '89.

Then I got to thinking ...so many of us
equate drunk driving to alcoholic deaths.
Others assume an alcoholic is jobless
friendless....a nomad living in parks.

My dead friends lived in D.C.
Drunk driving was not why they died.
None was a skid row drinker.

Norman in my bed...a heart attack
He took a legal pain med and had 5 beers.

John P......a suicide ..alone .Cocaine and Burbon

Bob...I found him dead in my apartment
when I came back from vacation.
He had been there 6 days and I did not
realize it was a person I loved.
I had to throw out my carpet and chair.

Wayne...who shared a home with me
I cleaned up his vomit and blood
as he bled to death on his way to ER.

Pat...I last saw him 2 hours before he died of
alcoholism. He was restrained in a hospital bed
raving and yellow.

Leo...I worked with him for 10 years.
He died on the restaurant floor
Convulsing and vomiting blood.

Joe...hit a bridge head on...drunk...in his PJ's..sucide

Princess....froze to death passed out in an alley

Richard ... shot himself in his bottle strewn car.

Charlie ..died waiting for a liver transplant

Stephen and Ann...liver cancer

Jeff and Ted...drunk...alone...found days after death in apartments
Not possible to pin point causes due to body decomposition.

A few had tried AA....2 died recovered

Sooo....while I do stress
"Don't Drink and Drive"
my personal list of who I mourn
has nothing to do with it.

With the hope that someone will save their own life
I share some of my dead friends with you.

Thank you for reading ...please find a
way to live without alcohol.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

a personal friend overdosed on pills and alcohol and pain pills and asphyxiated on his on vomit and died. He wasn't even 21.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've lost my wife mother father my brother and two sisters to alcohol induced liver failure, and another sister is very close. I also had a brother in law who killed himself due to alcohol induced depression. Just one big drunken family. Even if you only think you may have a problem it's not worth it to not look deep into yourself. Because if you think you may have a problem then you probably do. And you don't have to come from a long line of alcoholics, as it gets individuals with no family history of it too.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

-My friend's husband recently relapsed on pills after maybe a year of sobriety (if even that long). He stole her check to buy pills off the street and apparently took them all. She came home to her child crying at the door while the husband was tripping out. She managed to leave and 20 mins later, during a phone call with him she told him she wasn't going back home until he did an inpatient rehab. He shot himself during that conversation & died.

-My cousin was the passenger in the car with a driver who was drunk and on pills. He hit a car that was stopped at a red light. She died from complications following the accident. Since the accident itself did not kill her & he is a judge's son, he didn't get much jail time if any. Her daughter was 17 when this happened - awesome & smart girl. My cousins funeral was on Christmas Eve that year. The death of her mother was devastating and when she turned 18 she gained full access to a large trust fund. She married a heroin addict, they blew through the money in the trust and now she can't stay clean to stay out of jail.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Post Re:Stories

My grandfather died from active alcoholism, at age 60. He had a gastrectomy prior to his death -alcohol related of course.

My neighbor shot a killed his wife's lover in the midst of a blackout. The family has never been the same.

A former girlfriend and her kids were killed in an early morning accident, she was only 40. Her (BAC)was still high from the night before. I still remember the headlines, disheartening.

The newspapers are filled with similar accounts some more distressing than others, but it doesn't quite fit the mold I feel is truly missing. The accounts are real, but so are the miracles that occur everyday. It's a sober decision we need to make for ourselves, so let's just leave it at that.

Thanks for keeping it green.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your stories. I learned a lot from them. I just hope I'll overcome this problem as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

wow, these are some tough stories to read. But valuable to let us know what can happen. Especially for those still struggling with the choice to quit. For them, these are potential "yets" that can happen.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Still Struggling With That Choice....

Originally Posted by pipparina View Post
wow, these are some tough stories to read. But valuable to let us know what can happen. Especially for those still struggling with the choice to quit. For them, these are potential "yets" that can happen.
- One of my best friends died in my arms in a parking lot one hot summer day.
Cocaine and Alcohol. 27 yrs. young. Married 2 months.

-Another best friend came back from a hard drinking vacation and died from withdrawals. 34 years young.

- My Grandfather, Chirrosis, aged 58.
- Grandmother from same marriage, Suicide, probably Alcohol induced.
- My cousin, Alcohol induced suicide. 39 years young.
- On Valentines Day in the 1980's I arrived on the scene on the most horrific car crash. It was about 4 A.M. and my girlfriend and I arrived first on a construction scene to find a guy lying in the road with no pants on and smelling strongly of booze. He was able to tell us him and his friend were out drinking all night. He was thrown from the car when he and his friend had drove the wrong way down the site and hit a bridge under construction. I still can hear the screams. It seemed to take forever for the medics to come. It was a dark, unlit stretch of highway. They both died on scene. We did everything we could.

-If you think you're invincible, think again. We are so mortal and we often take it for granted.

Have a good day everyone.
D.D.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not directly related to drinking alcohol, but a reminder of the way it can destroy other people's lives - my cousin took her own life when she was 13 years old after her mother, my aunt, started drinking again after a period of sobriety. She had been living with us as my foster sister since she was 8 but was returned to her mother by social services because her mother had been sober for a good period of time. I don't know for sure that she did it because my aunt was no longer sober, of course, but I have assumed that because I don't think she could bare being separated from her again... even when she was 8 she wanted to go back to her mother so she could look after her... breaks my heart.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My 31 year old son died June of 2012. Had been hospitalized earlier in the year for a bad detox. Was told at that time that he should never drink again.
He was going to show everyone that he could drink in moderation.
Gastro intestinal bleeding. Threw up so much blood they originally thought it was homicide. He sure showed us. I'm sure he didn't think it could happen to him.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Zee

Liver disease
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm a big Hockey fan, I still miss Derek Boogaard, Minnesota Wild and New York rangers. pills,alcohol, and too many blows to the head..

RIP everyone mentioned in this post..

I will do everything I can to not die from this disease.

I have also lost family members, most recently Tom "Bear" His new liver didn't work..
Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

my younger brother died of alcoholism, liver failure at 44

my dad died 10 years to soon b/c of bladder cancer. he was a heavy drinker and smoker.

this is all heartbreaking, RIP
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

my brother 2009 and my dad 2011
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My son, 2006.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your posts. They are tough to read but need to hear these stories. I was most recently sent to the doctor to check liver functions and I'm terrified to go. I'm having nightmares because I'm afraid that after so many years of heavy drinking that I could have caused damage and I have to remind myself that this stuff is life or death. It didn't really hit me until the moment I realized that I've been playing with fire and that possible health complications are not something to take lightly.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just stumbled upon this thread and am personally moved by it. What a sad reminder on all those WONDERFUL benefits of active alcoholism... Not...
Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you Four. It's heartbreaking what addiction does not just to ourselves but others .