Notices

progress

Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

progress

decided it was time for a new thread as i'm no longer falling off the wagon. today is day 30 and i'm slowly, steadily moving forward. it's a new awareness of the world every day, and it's a warm smile and forgiving eyes, and it's learning, ever so cautiously, how to connect again. it is life in the sunlight, rather than the shadows.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

It really did feel like that old person, with such a narrow field of view, faded away. It's up to us to choose the path now that we are free.
Great post & Wish you the best.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 30 days NC - that's wonderful to read

D
Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Awesome, Noble.
Forgiveness is such an essential. How good to hear you speak of it. Out of the shadows ever so much...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NC, the best part is that you never really stop growing, like water flowing over rocky terrain you adapt to whatever life throws at you. You roll with the flow accepting all of it with a quiet mind at peace with yourself and the world around you.

I believe that serenity lives in a quiet mind and most of the good things are born out of that. I think that the ability to "roll with the flow" is a learned thing, it doesn't just happen. When the cravings are strong and resolve is weak is when the realization that thoughts are just thoughts and you don't have to act on any of them comes into play. The more you harness that ability the more natural it becomes and it will carry over into other areas of your life.

Best of wishes in everything going forward, you have the knowledge and that book inside of you waiting to be written. "Once more unto the breach" was the early work, next up is "Beyond the breach, walking the path with heart".
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days.
Fred
Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days, NC! Soak up that sunshine.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

awesome on 30 days!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

day 32 and im learning how to connect with people slowly. Ive had more real conversations in this time than I have the entire time i was drinking. Just talking about anything serious or just fun. It's amazing.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lovely post NobleCause. Tiny baby steps. You're doing great - so happy for you.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for shareing your really good news NC....
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That is great news to hear, NobleCause. You can do this if you only but believe you can.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi NobleCause...so happy to hear you are doing well. I followed the old "breach" thread you had a while back. I have always had complete faith in you
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I have always had complete faith in you
what a difference 30 days can make. i was not so confident. but that's the beauty of this site - there's lots of hope to borrow here when you've got none.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Post Re:Moving forward.

Congrats NC on day 30. Keep that momentum going.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

well done NC I am glad you are more at peace
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

encountered a streak of stupid, stressful days recently, the sort i used to drink away. the cap of it all was an event for work last nite, a cocktail party with an amusingly complex signature drink menu and really, really good scotch. (i did just dandy with a club soda and my sober wit.) only one person seemed to notice that i was back on the wagon - a colleague whom i generally don't prefer, and whom i noticed was doubling down on his doubles each time he went to the bar (oldest open bar trick in the book). he eventually approached, and asked loudly why i wasn't joining in the celebration. 'oh but i am celebrating,' i said, grinning, and really, i was.

at the moment he'd walked up, i'd been taking stock of the room and the players and, remembering work party debacles past, the fragility of it all. i thought about the time a former boss called the cops to drag me out of a holiday party in a five star restaurant (blackout, thankfully the charges were dropped), and the time i challenged the hr director at another former workplace to fight (blackout, thankfully this ridiculous offer was declined). then i thought about how neither of those things would happen that night. sipping on my club soda, i drank in the sweet relief of that knowledge with relish.

my colleague mumbled a bit, sort of confused, attempted to lean on something that wasn't there, and stumbled away. i did a victory lap of handshakes and then slipped out, celebrating at home with the extra good rooibos tea.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow! You really got it goin on now NC. There's a certain pleasure that comes from being present and aware, enjoying the show and finding peace and happiness in that. It does grow on you!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Awesome, Noble.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Post Re:Progress

I’m so happy for you Nobel Cause. Day 30 must feel exhilarating by now, maybe even a blessing I suppose. I guess our past has no real attachments after all, just suspicions. I only hope you take it with the same grain of salt as we do. Onward…