Notices

Drunk/tipsy people in AA meetings-safety?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I don't need a group conscience to make the decision to do the right thing which, in my opinion, is to first attempt to prevent them from driving. If that doesn't work, call the police.

I have a responsibility to do that. Period.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I found out that the drunk driver I watched pull away from an AA meeting killed an innocent person or themselves. Something I could have attempted to prevent.
I could not agree more. This is what I meant when I wrote that our responsibilities as citizens do not end at the meeting room door.

In my view, when we see a person under the influence of drugs or alcohol either driving or about to drive, we have a responsibility as citizens to stop the person or failing that, to call the police. Any notion of what the person might think of us as members of their recovery support group become secondary to the interests of public safety. But even there, it is really a kindness to the impaired person to get them off the street. A DUI is bad, but a conviction for vehicular homicide is a whole lot worse.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

friskme ...

Sorry to know of these tragic events...

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sally1009

In the UK there is something called a 'Citizen's Arrest'. This means that any member of the general public can intervene in a situation where another person is behaving in such a way that it endangers others. Perhaps there is something similar in other countries.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well I hope you have a breathalyzer handy to make sure the person is above the legal limit where their actions will suddenly become a threat to public safety so that you can then do your duty.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by biravatch65 View Post
Well I hope you have a breathalyzer handy to make sure the person is above the legal limit where their actions will suddenly become a threat to public safety so that you can then do your duty.
It would not be necessary to breathalize someone or give them a blood test before acting. A reasonable suspicion that the person is impaired is going to be just fine.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by biravatch65 View Post
I agree. Alcoholics are not law enforcement professionals. I think people showing up intoxicated at AA meetings shows the insanity of alcoholism. The wanting to stop drinking yet actively drinking at the same time. I did it a few times & I was very frustrated & angry at myself. It's like I couldn't even be a "normal alcoholic."
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I agree. Alcoholics are not law enforcement professionals. I think people showing up intoxicated at AA meetings shows the insanity of alcoholism. The wanting to stop drinking yet actively drinking at the same time. I did it a few times & I was very frustrated & angry at myself. It's like I couldn't even be a "normal alcoholic."
Alcoholics aren't law enforcement professionals, but they ARE members of society and are thus expected to behave in a responsible manner. This includes taking action to protect the public safety, including calling law enforcement officials when they see something dangerous going on, such as a visibly impaired individual about to drive off in a motor vehicle.

It all gets down to that golden rule, "do unto others". If you don't want drunken folks on the road killing you or your family, don't silently watch a drunk drive off in a car.