Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I think I've finally made the decision that I need inpatient rehab. Questions???

Notices

I think I've finally made the decision that I need inpatient rehab. Questions???

Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I know a title statement like that usually will be followed with a story about a bottom. But I've not hit a horrible bottom, a lot of parts of my life are completely still intact, but I realize more and more the damage my drinking has caused in others. I've been having a lot of positive talks with friends and realize more and more that just the daily AA meeting and weekly visit to the psych have not been doing the job for me. And I'm ok with that. I think I need what living in an environment with zero alcohol and constant support and therapy for ,a period of time, may be the most helpful.

I've never done anything like this. Thank god I have the luxury of choosing where I might find such a place. But I have zero knowledge on where to start choosing. I'm not so bad where I need to find a place to check into ASAP. I need to get my affairs in order before disappearing. But I'm just concerned with making the RIGHT choice for me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get this process started? I live in Brooklyn, NY. Just browsing through ads and reviews online just doesn't feel right.

Andrew
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andrew

If it's what you think you need I think it's a great decision

Never been to one, but it seems to me a rehab is something you really need to shop around for yourself, though?

The best I can do for you is this database of treatment facilities...enter your location, look through the options and make some calls

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

Best wishes

D
Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish it showed the prices on these websites.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I just really don't want a skid row style place. I also don't need it to be 5 stars. I want somewhere nice and comfortable. A place where I could maybe work out, or watch a game, or maybe swim in a pool.

I just don't want to be locked in a white room.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

idk how to find these things from just a website. Everything seems great. I just want a comfortable place with similar minded people
Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully others with more rehab experience will be along with some tips on what to look for A.

D
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Rehabs are best chosen by word-of-mouth. They very often have the same credentials as the next rehab, so as to qualify for various payment scenarios, and so its buyer beware.

Most are 30 days. The real differences to look for are some are more medically based, with on site doctors, while others are less so, with more being setup as sober living quarters.

The cost can really vary from less than 10K to more than 100K.

Some are staffed by recovering or recovered addicts/alcoholics. Some are not. Some embrace a spiritual agenda. Some don't. Most have a working knowledge of AA and NA to some degree.

What they all have in common is its really difficult to get even a partial refund if you decide you don't like their services or accommodations. The other thing, is they can order a patient out of the rehab for having unwanted or unjustified emotional behavors ie get too mad or freaked out about whatever, and out the door you could go -- sans a refund, of course.

Just don't pick one on your own, from ads or a phone call. Talk with your doctor. Talk with the local church. Talk with the local detox. And so on...

Most importantly, talk with persons who have actually been to the rehab your thinking about, or they have professional insight into your selections.

I wish you luck. I did in-patient rehab. I did one of the so-called poor man's rehab. Not fancy, but we all worked together. Swimming was available off site and at the local YMCA, lol.

google has ton's of links for NY. Here is just an example:

New York Drug Alcohol Rehab Treatment Center Facilities Programs | Addict-Help
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask at the AA meetings and talk with your doctor about options. You'll find the rehab for you!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi ADL31,

In the criminal justice system I often help families find a rehab or recovery plan that works for their particular family in Florida.

Not all residential programs are created equal and their is more than one treatment philosophy out there.

Are you trying to find something in state or are you willing to travel? You are currently attending an AA meeting a day but you didn't mention if you had a sponsor and if you are actually "working the AA program and steps". I am asking because many programs are a combination of cognitive therapy, groups, speakers, counseling as well as 12 step and transitioning to AA once you are out of the residential phase.

I don't know of many people who have found attending meetings enough to find serenity and peace in sobriety without jumping headfirst and all the way into the AA lifestyle including the steps and living them on a daily basis.

There are other options if you feel AA is not a match for you long term that are more in the rational recovery philosophy.

Having a long term plan for your recovery support and then finding a facility that is going to help you get to the transition back into society and your life is your best bet.

Residential treatment programs are now big business and there are many too choose from all across the nation. If you choose to go to one in NY you can always visit them first and many have AA meetings that are open and you could attend those.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

I went to rehab in NY state and can give you more details in a PM if you're interested. Although I am a woman and the programs were very segregated. I've also heard of a few good ones in ct depending on your budget.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One thing I would strongly suggest. Avoid any facility where a large number of patients are mandated. Look for a facility where the great majority of patients are there voluntarily. In mandated settings you will find very few who seriously want to quit. The staff are burnt out and really just go through the motions. Not at all conducive to quitting for someone serious about it. I was at two like that near where I live - SPARK and Conifer Park.

Then I went to Brattleboro Retreat (Brattleboro Retreat | Mental Health & Addiction Treatment) and truth be told, I really miss being there. It wasn't plush but it was effective and I had everything I needed. Everyone there was serious about quitting and we worked to help each other every evening after classes/groups were over. It was a great experience. Not at all like the other two.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ask around your AA meetings, I'm sure a few of the members have been to rehabs and can enlighten you.

I did a 90 day recovery home stay in 1989 and it saved my life.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Here's an interesting site where you put in the particulars about the type of rehab you're looking for and it "matches" you with suitable places.

Drug and Alcohol Rehab Finder - All About Addiction
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Never been to one but if I were in your situation
I'd ask my doctor for his opinion before signing up.

Hope all works out to your benefit...
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeworks View Post
Hi ADL31,

In the criminal justice system I often help families find a rehab or recovery plan that works for their particular family in Florida.

Not all residential programs are created equal and their is more than one treatment philosophy out there.

Are you trying to find something in state or are you willing to travel? You are currently attending an AA meeting a day but you didn't mention if you had a sponsor and if you are actually "working the AA program and steps". I am asking because many programs are a combination of cognitive therapy, groups, speakers, counseling as well as 12 step and transitioning to AA once you are out of the residential phase.

I don't know of many people who have found attending meetings enough to find serenity and peace in sobriety without jumping headfirst and all the way into the AA lifestyle including the steps and living them on a daily basis.

There are other options if you feel AA is not a match for you long term that are more in the rational recovery philosophy.

Having a long term plan for your recovery support and then finding a facility that is going to help you get to the transition back into society and your life is your best bet.

Residential treatment programs are now big business and there are many too choose from all across the nation. If you choose to go to one in NY you can always visit them first and many have AA meetings that are open and you could attend those.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the great response.

I do not think AA is not for me. I absolutely plan on incorporating AA into my life on a daily basis once I return. But at this point, I am on the same track of attending a meeting or two a day and seeing my shrink. It keeps me sober for 10,20,30 days and then a worse relapse occurs. I have to do something to break out of the cycle.

I have a job with a lot of responsibility, I have a dog to take care of, and I have lived in the same place for a long time. While I'm around here I don't have the option to just sit at meetings 4 or 5 times a day. I just find it to be too overwhelming to make a meeting or two and have to deal with the other 22 hours of the day in my regular life. I just think being in a place where I can focus on my sobriety for 30 days exclusively sounds amazing. My dad is my boss and I finally came clean with him today about everything. He is supposed to be retired but he said he has no problem taking the dog, and handling the business while I'm gone. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're right - just going to AA meetings doesn't work - if action isn't taken as well. Action meaning working the 12 Steps, doing general service work - be in AA and not just around it.

If you aren't working hard with a Sponsor on the Steps, you will not become "emotionally" sober. Alcohol is but a sympton. It's our mental health we need to work on.
If we don't do the work of the 12 Steps, we will just be dry drunks who might as well have a drink in our hand.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think Charon makes a good point. I had no idea when I went that people were even mandated to go and did not even know to ask that. It does make for a different environment. The place I went to is owned by the same company that runs Conifer Park so I'm guessing they are similiar. I've heard good things about Highwatch here in CT. Never been there, though.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Here's an interesting site where you put in the particulars about the type of rehab you're looking for and it "matches" you with suitable places.

Drug and Alcohol Rehab Finder - All About Addiction
I might try calling the number and talking to these people but I tried the automated feature out of curiosity. The first three recommendations were in California and pricy. The next two were in Connecticut and New Hampshire. No mention of St. Josephs (NY) nor Brattleboro Retreat (Vt).
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My former doctor made arrangements for me to go to a center in Carmel, NY. The place was a medicaid mill, with more than half the patients being mandated. Needless to say it was a hell hole; burnt out staff, unmotivated participants, horrible food and a less than safe environment.

Think about what you might want to get out of a rehab program considering the main areas listed below:
  • Client profile- mandated participants? Age, gender, background?
  • Treatment approach
  • Staff qualifications and experience
  • Program/day structure
  • Meals/snacks
  • Facilities
  • Success rate- any follow up? Features of the program to lessen relapse?

If you are on any medications that might be subject to abuse (i.e., benzodiazepines), make sure to ask the facility about these meds. I was prescribed klonopin for dizziness, was taking them as directed and naively did not know about "benzos", their addictive qualities, abuse or withdrawal. The rehab center stopped me cold turkey, which was dangerous and the most awful experience I have ever had.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Same rehab as Slim Slim. Same advice.