Notices

Found a bottle

Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found a bottle

Straight out of detox and I find a 3/4 full handle of Vodka.

There was a time in my life, not too long ago, during which I drank multiple handles per day.

So of course, like an idiot, I start drinking it. Just two or three months ago, I was drinking around three to five gallons of vodka per day (from morning to night... not all at once.)

Does two or three days of drinking warrant medical detox, or should I be fine? I am also prescribed Klonopin, which ought to take the edge off things. I don't abuse that medicine. I take it as a PRN and have so for years.

So, two or three days of 3/4 a handle: does it warrant medical detox? I feel like I could just finish it off and then stop with a little medication, meetings, and so forth.

Anyone have experience with this? I am not drinking in the day: just at night. In the past, I drank copious amounts all day long. My last BAC reading was .458 and I was perfectly coherent. I remember everything, so I guess I didn't black-out.

Anyone have advice other than "Oh my God! You need medical treatment!".

I do not plan to drink anymore, although I guess it's a day by day process. Also, I am eating this time.... previously I lived off of nothing but vodka and vitamins.

How do other alcoholics deal with multi-day relapses? Do they rush to a hospital for medical detox, or do they just deal with the discomfort of some bad hangovers and a bit of withdrawal?

My last detox was after a five day drinking binge. I drank around 20 handles during that time. They gave me Ativan for two days and I had nothing more but shakes and odd dreams.

Any non-hysterical advice?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't really speak from a relapse standpoint. But I am 48 hours sober after drinking a handle over the period of 3-4 days for months at 115 pounds 23 y/o female and I was blacking out almost every night.

Point is I personally have no found I needed medical detox. Other than severe insomnia, cold sweats, uncontrollable hunger and feeling lightheaded/dizzy I haven't had any serious physiological effects.

But everyone is different and I am not a doctor so I think it's a bit difficult for us to say.

Perhaps you should simply call your PCP and ask him what he thinks? It's better to be safe than sorry. Perhaps you can at least get a check up.

What are you doing to stay sober now that you are out of rehab. Have you poured what's left on the bottle down the drain?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ineedtorecover View Post
My last BAC reading was .458 and I was perfectly coherent.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would do a medical detox at a hospital. Why risk any problems. Also if you're at the hospital, you won't go in search of a drink to feel better.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought I didn't need help - I'd detoxed many times on my own without apparent ill effect.

The last time I did, I ended up with several mini strokes - I'll never be the same - carry that legacy with me now for the rest of my life.

Thats why I always recommend medical help...you may find that 'hysterical' but it's just sharing me my experience - I wouldn't wish that kind of detox experience on anyone else, ineed.

In the end, all we can do is share our experience, it's up to you what you do with it.
I wish you the best.

D
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fenway faithful> I'm also 22 and struggle with drinking and the black outs on a daily basis. How did you come to realize that It was a problem. Sounds stupid but I am very new at this and I always tell myself that I don't have a problem. And then a day like today happens and some one told me I needed rehab. I'm very ashamed and scared don't know how to handle this
Old 09-29-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would personally seek medical advice. I don't know anything about your physiology/chemistry, nor am I a Doctor, but withdrawing from alcohol cold-turkey can kill you.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ineedtorecover View Post
Straight out of detox and I find a 3/4 full handle of Vodka.

There was a time in my life, not too long ago, during which I drank multiple handles per day.

So of course, like an idiot, I start drinking it. Just two or three months ago, I was drinking around three to five gallons of vodka per day (from morning to night... not all at once.)

Thanks

Always best to detox under medical supervision if possible. Regarding your past drinking, I have never heard of anyone drinking 3 to 5 gallons of vodka a day.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i think that the key here is you started drinking straight out of detox...you found the vodka and you didn't pour it down the sink, straight out of detox.

you might want to consider some ongoing counseling as you detox again.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am with you, BacktoSquareOne, I think there is at least one typo somewhere there.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

If you are drinking 3-5 gallons a day you need serious help. At my worst, I was drinking a 12 pack of beer & a pint of cheap vodka a day. I had bad withdrawals. I do not think my body could process anymore than that amount. 3-5 gallons sounds like it calls for a trip to the hospital.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I don't know what a 'handle' is, but three to four gallons A DAY??? That cannot be accurate. That would mean potentially 64 pints of vodka daily...physically impossible.
Anyway, I can only echo what others have said: ask a doctor. The fact you are mixing alcohol with benzos is VERY dangerous, and can be fatal.
Wishing all the best for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Zee

A handle is 1.75 litres... I was on 750ml a day and landed myself with cirrhosis. I'd at least have a liver function test done, unless that was a serious typo!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i agree with everyone else here, this situation warrants medical intervention and supervised detox, followed by supervised recovery program, as serious as you are affected i think it's really the only option you have at this point....
Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

buck up camper

get to an AA meeting NOW! The other human beings there will bend over backwards to help you. Just go and listen and breathe. If you follow the program it will work. FACT! Go NOW
Old 09-29-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome ramblinman....
Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
get to an AA meeting NOW! The other human beings there will bend over backwards to help you. Just go and listen and breathe. If you follow the program it will work. FACT! Go NOW
Yes an AA meeting would be helpful. But this is extreme drinking & this person should not stop drinking until a Dr. detox. Tolerance can become unreal for some of us alcoholics.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, 3-5 was a typo. I meant 3-3.5. That's just 2.5 handles at max.

I just dumped the rest of it after posting and I'm doing fine. I had planned to finish the bottle, but decided against it.

Detox is unnecessary in my particular case. This isn't my first rodeo and I know the signs of bad withdrawal. In this case, I just want plenty of coffee and a good meal.

In case someone else finds this thread and thinks they can detox on their own: I tried the same once and had a seizure. Don't do it by yourself. I am well acclimated to alcohol and drank (for me) a light a amount for two days and only at night. In my case was not enough to put me into withdrawals. It's the morning and day drinking that sends me over the edge.

Thank-you for all your non-hysterical advice. (Even the person who mentioned their mini-strokes.... that post is what caused me to dump it. Thank you.)

This drug should not be allowed. I have only been dealing with this since February of this year. Before that, I was totally fine.

I also switched from Klonopin to Carbamazepine because my doctor recommended it. I really recommend that medication; it doesn't make you feel high, drunk, or anything like that. It just smooths things out.

Thanks again.