Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Find yourself excelling at a hobby or something when you quit drinking?

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this and can share anything they went through with this.

Basically, last year, I fell in love with the sound of piano and bought myself a keyboard and started to try and become self taught. At this time, I was a "functional alcoholic" where I only drank at night and did what I needed to do during the day. And because the drinking was heavy and daily, I would wake up with shaky hands which I imagine does not help reach my goal of playing this instrument since they shake and I end up hitting the wrong notes as well as being in an alcoholic cloud all the time. Its frustrating because I am struggle with drinking at the moment but I still have a passion to want to play well and I know its either one or the other. I have improved some over the last year but not as much as I've wanted. I also know I can easily use the money spent on alcohol for private lessons and be much happier. Its just a freaking struggle :-(.

Has anyone ever noticed that, when they stopped drinking, they seemed to excel at something they loved to do but alcoholism bogged them down prior to? I know it might seem like a silly question as I am sure it happens a lot. But any examples might have could help. I just feel frustrated as I have a lot of goals for myself in life but this beast is relentless.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is not a silly question. I find myself doing things that I never thought I could. I didn't want to get off the couch. I wanted to just go home, make a super strong drink and sit on the couch and flip channels until I was drunk enough to go to bed. Fast foward, I'm coming up on a year sober. I've logged over 1000 miles on my bicycle including a century ride (100 miles in one shot). I've completed 4 sprint triathlons (The short distance 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike and a three mile run). And I wasn't dead last. I did all of this while really REALLY overweight. Now I'm focused on losing weight, and repeating these tasks next season!! I'm glad I have the tools now to not succumb to the temptation to drink..

P.S. hen you record a peice on the Piano, I would love to hear it...
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Running and eating better!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My hobby has been radio control airplanes for a long time. Building them is as much or more fun than flying them. Trying to make them look real.
You can imagine how it works when you start working on an airplane with 6 or 8 beers in you. Delicate balsa wood and glue. By the time I realized it's not a good idea, were lookin at beer 12 to 15. Next day trying to remember where I put stuff or left off,or wait till the weekend when I'm sober so I can fix that.
Leaving airbrushes full of paint,or good brushes full of glue overnight.
Get on the airplane forum or others and wake up the next day and go"did I actually write that"

I had a bad day at work today,but looking back, I feel pretty good now because It's been over 3 and a half years since I lived like that. Today wasn't so bad after all.
Fred
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes!

At least one friend is now an awesome painter. He dabbled when drinking, but now has almost 2 decades of sobriety and his painting keeps getting better!

There are others with other skills....
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Originally Posted by newman23 View Post
Good afternoon all,

Has anyone ever noticed that, when they stopped drinking, they seemed to excel at something they loved to do but alcoholism bogged them down prior to? I know it might seem like a silly question as I am sure it happens a lot. But any examples might have could help. I just feel frustrated as I have a lot of goals for myself in life but this beast is relentless.

Yes, and I know this clarity was my #1 motivator for getting sober. There are so many things I want to do, but drinking myself to sleep after work every night gave me no time to pursue anything.

I look to the future with great anticipation. There is a lot I want to do and it can be overwhelming so this first year is about "easy does it" and just rebuilding my foundation.

I wish you the best in finding your path to "living" sober.

--
Old 09-28-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newman23 View Post
Good afternoon all,

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this and can share anything they went through with this.

Basically, last year, I fell in love with the sound of piano and bought myself a keyboard and started to try and become self taught. At this time, I was a "functional alcoholic" where I only drank at night and did what I needed to do during the day. And because the drinking was heavy and daily, I would wake up with shaky hands which I imagine does not help reach my goal of playing this instrument since they shake and I end up hitting the wrong notes as well as being in an alcoholic cloud all the time. Its frustrating because I am struggle with drinking at the moment but I still have a passion to want to play well and I know its either one or the other. I have improved some over the last year but not as much as I've wanted. I also know I can easily use the money spent on alcohol for private lessons and be much happier. Its just a freaking struggle :-(.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I only been sober for 2 weeks and it's been extremely hard.. My sleep patterns are off I'm very tired and experiencing cravings.. But still remaining strong.. However, during this duration I have managed to read a great book, which in my drunk mind I would have never done..

Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
This is not a silly question. I find myself doing things that I never thought I could. I didn't want to get off the couch. I wanted to just go home, make a super strong drink and sit on the couch and flip channels until I was drunk enough to go to bed. Fast foward, I'm coming up on a year sober. I've logged over 1000 miles on my bicycle including a century ride (100 miles in one shot). I've completed 4 sprint triathlons (The short distance 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike and a three mile run). And I wasn't dead last. I did all of this while really REALLY overweight. Now I'm focused on losing weight, and repeating these tasks next season!! I'm glad I have the tools now to not succumb to the temptation to drink..

P.S. hen you record a peice on the Piano, I would love to hear it...
Old 09-28-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great I too look to the clarity it only being 2 weeks I have done things I wasn't doing drunk.. I to would come home at night and drink myself to sleep and I must say I don't miss being drunk.. Although I'm still early on...

Originally Posted by tammy711 View Post
Yes, and I know this clarity was my #1 motivator for getting sober. There are so many things I want to do, but drinking myself to sleep after work every night gave me no time to pursue anything.

I look to the future with great anticipation. There is a lot I want to do and it can be overwhelming so this first year is about "easy does it" and just rebuilding my foundation.

I wish you the best in finding your path to "living" sober.

--
Old 09-28-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean. I write music for a living, and when not drinking, my creativity, dexterity, and willingness to experiment and delve into all sorts of theoretical and technical detail goes through the roof. During the drinking periods, I would just basically go through the motions in the studio well enough to get a piece written and out the door in order to cash another check and buy more life-wasting alcohol. Such a damn waste of 15 years. Alcohol absolutely destroys will, physical ability, mental creativity, and stamina in just about every field.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

dont know if i excel at it, but i've come to really like living insread of existing.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

Swimming,.For almost 50years I hardly ever swam.

6years ago I started swimming and now go 3-4 times a week in the outdoor pool ,I love it.

I have also started a lot of things in Recovery and let them drop,knitting,making jewellery,Nordic Walking,,,, the list goes on.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's been myself 2 weeks and I must say it's been extremely hard. However with the motivation on her makes me strong.. Oh and of course my 1 mg of ativan at night.. I was self medicating for a long time.. I pray I continue sober, I do crave sugar... But I'm reading and doing things I wasnt doing be drunk every night bottle of 2 wine..:rotfxko

Originally Posted by sunshinet View Post
That's great I too look to the clarity it only being 2 weeks I have done things I wasn't doing drunk.. I to would come home at night and drink myself to sleep and I must say I don't miss being drunk.. Although I'm still early on...
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm struggling with 2 weeks of different emotions quilt.. Is this normal, crying all the time.. Just feel strange but better then drunk...
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm trying to stay sober for 30 days to see if I can go the rest.. I"m so trying to change this cycle of not drinking every night.. It's been so painful as I realize my liquor personality is gone.. I don't go to bars anymore because when I do go I can't stop drinking.. So I have identified myself as an alcoholic, never drink during the day.. But functioning all day until I reached home at night and hit the liquor store for a bottle of wine.. Any excuse to cook, great, show, friends and just sleep...
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Originally Posted by sunshinet View Post
I'm trying to stay sober for 30 days to see if I can go the rest.. I"m so trying to change this cycle of not drinking every night.. It's been so painful as I realize my liquor personality is gone.. I don't go to bars anymore because when I do go I can't stop drinking.. So I have identified myself as an alcoholic, never drink during the day.. But functioning all day until I reached home at night and hit the liquor store for a bottle of wine.. Any excuse to cook, great, show, friends and just sleep...
Sunshinet: What are you doing to try and stay sober? Do you have a recovery plan that involves relapse prevention? Are you using a recovery methodology (AVRT, SMART, AA, something)? I worry that you might not be drinking, but you're white knuckling it.

Sobriety should free you to live a wonderful and quality life. Recovery programs help with that. Let me know.

Tammy
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

like Tomsteve said, I don't know if I am excelling at it, but, in sobriety, I have learned to enjoy the journey, rather than looking for an end result. When I was drinking, I had a ridiculous set of "rules" - like, I won't drink before I put the kids to bed, feed the animals, water the garden, whatever. So, I would rush through all that stuff to get to my first drink.

Now, I enjoy the process...scratching the sheeps' ears while filling their tubs, talking with the teenagers as they get ready for bed, watching the sunset as I water the veggie plants. That is pretty cool.

Like my bud HeavyJ, I have also taken up triathlon. When I first started training, once again, it was all goal oriented - how fast am I running? how far am i biking? I was aiming for a gold medal, not enjoying the trip. Same type of thinking as rushing through things to get to drinking...now I watch the scenery, or smile at someone else who is just starting out at the gym. I have won a couple of medals at the sprint and olympic distance, and finished my first Half-Ironman yesterday. Am I excelling at triathlon? Hardly, but I am excelling at enjoying my life and my blessings.

Whether you are playing Chopsticks or Chopin on your piano, sobriety will help you enjoy and appreciate it!

Best wishes!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes... Though it is not an unqualified yes, and I won't go into all of that, LOL...

Playing guitar and singing has become a richer, more rewarding and expressive experience.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not exactly a hobby but I've gotten better at my job. I find that sometimes I'm amazed with myself at how much better my job seems, and how much I actually enjoy what I do because I don't feel like crapola all the time. I'm not as moody and I really do have an easy job, but when I drank I hated working...it seemed like a huge burden.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

sunshinet...

Welcome to our recovery community
Many of us are winning over alcohol...and Yes! you can too...