Notices

alchoholism sucks!!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alchoholism sucks!!!!

Hello im new here. I have been drinking since i was 16 minus my pregnancies. It has consumed my life, wondering when i will have the next one, just to feel normal. My husband hates it and it has caused a lot of problems with us. Ive hurt those who love me most wich sucks. I need to know whats the best way to quit, what cam replace the urge? I drink beer and wine and take xanex everyday. The blackouts are everyday. If i dont drink my anxiety is thru the roof. HELP!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would see a doctor if I were you, to get you through detox. Xanax and alcohol addictions are both dangerous to suddenly quit cold turkey. You may wish to stop one or the other instead of both at the same time. It's not going to be easy, and it will take a commitment from you to be strong enough mentally to get the chemicals out of your life.
There is personal support as well as medical support available to help you, if you want it and willing to simply ask for it. It's hard to stop what you probably think you need to ease the anxiety, but the truth is alcohol causes anxiety and nervousness as well as a whole lot of other maladies. If you want to feel better, without the turmoil and misery that comes with drinking, give yourself a month sober. I like it, Like it a lot more than anything drinking ever did for me. You probably would too.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with DK - you should see your doctor. I don't know much about xanax, but I don't think you can just quit that. And depending on your alcohol consumption, stopping suddenly can cause serious problems. Given you take both, I don't think you should do it alone.

However, keep posting on here too. THere is a lot of support to help you through this.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sally1009

I can only second the other replies: it would be best to see a doctor asap. Then perhaps try an AA meeting? AA has done so much for me.
Well done for posting on here. You will find lots of support from the good people on SR. Take care.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup. I can remember that. Booze and benzos. Self medicating for anxiety. Daily blackouts. Daily anxiety attacks even with a belly full of makers mark and kolonopin. Active alcoholism does suck.
But, my experience has been that being a recovered alcoholic is the greatest thing Ive experienced. I am 4 years sober now. I have recovered through working the 12 steps of AA. My life is still hard at times, but staying sober is not. I follow simple guidelines and as a result not only do I stay sober, but the quality of my life continues to improve. Ive been booze and medication-free and have not had an anxiety attack in my 4 years of sobriety. Of course many people need to continue to take meds, but I have talked to more people who have shared similar experiences to me and have been able to get off meds completely with their Doctors help.
We alcoholics can have a life beyond anything we could plan for ourselves. It just requires action. YOur alcoholism does not have to suck.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome hnichole

I agree with the others - seeing a Dr is a really good first step.
Many parts of the US now hace free or low cost clinics - that may be an option for you

2-1-1 Call Center Search
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

Are you looking at recovery programmes as well, like AA or or something like it?

D
Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Xanax + alcohol causes everyone to blackout. It's a horrid combo and it's super duper dangerous.

Please go to a doctor.