Notices

Quotes about Alcoholism

Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've often referred to this song by Townes Van Zandt, Rex's Blues.

Well, if I had a nickel, I'd find a game
If I won a dollar, I'd make it rain
If it rained an ocean, I'd drink it dry
And lay me down dissatisfied
Bukowski's quote in the OP... yea, that really resonates with me hard... Wow!! I have been trying to find words to that exact sentiment.... I even came close once as I had considered it ... a form of suicide, or oblivion, with rebirth, or re-entry, the next morning. Seriously, I can relate.... And it is helpful for me to define why I did like it so much that I risked everything... and why I got nothing in return but trouble.

Thanx.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Normal people have two drink buttons, "More" and "Enough." Alcoholics only have one. Don't press that button.

In recovery, alcoholics learn to use the dimmer on their "Me" switch while they build out their "Others" switch and see if it'll work.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

"O God, that men should put an enemy in their mouths to steal away their brains! that we should, with joy, pleasance, revel, and applause, transform ourselves into beasts!" ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you." ~ Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My signature is one of my favorites.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
This really hit home for me.

If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. If you still think you are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails, if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink.

Dr. Bob....Co founder AA
I thought AA was not religious. Could you elaborate please?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

“Recovery is not a process, it's an event. Disease or no disease, we drink and use because we love it; when we get fed up, we quit.”—Jack Trimpey.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you.
That part of the BB really stood out for me too when I read it.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

"If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you." Dr. Bob, one of the AA founders, commenting on the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous.
Originally Posted by makeabigplan View Post
I thought AA was not religious. Could you elaborate please?
Read Chapter 4, "We Agnostics" in the Big Book - you can read it free online. Read the Step 2 chapter in the 12 & 12 of AA book - also free online. Then you'll get what Dr. Bob meant. What he DID NOT say is: If you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride, I feel sorry for you.

The words "which keeps you from" restricts the set of those folks he just had listed. In other words, AA can work for all of you if you work its program. It is up to each alcoholic to decide what "a Power greater than ourselves" is, and then work the AA program with that Power in mind. For some it is the AA group itself.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Newly Sober

I really liked these:
"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

"A Habit, if not resisted, will soon become a necessity."

Normal people have two drink buttons, "More" and "Enough." Alcoholics only have one. Don't press that button.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I've done more in 6 months in practical terms than I've done in 6 years, and that's down to removing the booze. - regeneration
Sobriety gives you one thing - it gives you possibilities. It removes this self imposed limit that alcohol provides. You can fill your life with whatever you choose. - freshstart57
It really did feel like that old person, with such a narrow field of view, faded away. It's up to us to choose the path now that we are free. - Scolova