Notices

How can a family member best encourage you?

Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Thumbs up How can a family member best encourage you?

What have family members of yours said to you (or done) that, as an alcoholic, you have found to be the most encouraging to your recovery? How often and when would saying these things to you help?

For example, saying things like this (I hope they ARE encouraging!):
  • "I'm pulling for you"
  • "I'm thrilled you are working your program"
Old 09-26-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My recovery was kind of the elephant in the room. My H didn't say much outright but took a huge interest in my 'new' life. That meant the world to me and gave me hope.

As a lot of us say... recovery didn't have a whole lot to do with alcohol.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Up until I felt comfortable enough that I had the will of my own to say no to my cravings my dad called me everynight at my panic hour (the dreaded count down til the liqour store closure) to chat with me for a half hour or so until it was time to go on my 45min walk which would also consume the remainder of the panic hour. Plus he'd talk to me and remind me of how not everyone needs to drink etc. But it really helped, if I thought about drinking I knew my dad would be calling me up real soon and I could just mull it over with him. The other half of that being the minute I ever tried to reason with my dad that I needed a drink and intended to do so, I'd essentially burn my bridge of having a recovery buddy. Once you manipulate you always manipulate. Respect those who take the time to help you out especially when it's you who approached them first! Don't ever take advantage of them or the situation you'll just ruin it for yourself down the road. I'm moving onto day 10 and I dont even think about alcohol anymore, I've got a new routine in place and it's become the priority of my thoughts. I just like checking out SR every now and again to lend cheeriness!! Sober recovery? Positive recovery!