Notices

i desperately need advice.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i desperately need advice.

My sister, age 66 has come to live with my husband and i pending her divorce becoming final. While se is nmot an alcoholic, she is a heavy drinker. I know she is not physically addicted to alcohol because she came here a year ago cause her husband accused her of being an alcoholic and did not drink a drop for an entire month. As soon as she returned home she started drinking again because of their bad relationship. My problem is this. I have no tolerance for heavy drinkers. Our father was a heavy drinker and living at my house was stressful. Now that my sister is living with us and drinking every night I am so stressed out and full of anxiety every evening. I have told her how her drinking makes me feel and she'll drink less for a few days but revert back. She has been here for 3 weeks and has had varying amounts of alcohol every night. Her "normal" amount is 15 shots of whiskey over ice over about a 2 hour period. Once she starts drinking she develops alcohol induced tourettes ticks. She also has clinical depression, atriàl fibrillation and takes blood thinners....all things that you should not have alcohol with. I just don't know what to do. She's at high risk for a stroke and i don't want to lose her. I love spending days with her, but the evenings are soooo hard. Can anyone offer any advice?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welocome to the site. i think you may have a misconception of what an alcoholic is.
now, IMO, someone who does 15 shots over 2 hours is quite a bit more than a heavy drinker.
alcohol is but a symptom of a much deeper problem.
now, you can talk to her, in the morning, when she is not drinking, and share your concerns that you posted here and see if she wants to stop drinking and wants help stopping.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a 'family' meeting is in order. It is YOUR home, and you may want to lay down some rules....or try to see if she wants to get help. With all the other health issues involved, she needs to be careful or she may not be around too much longer. Have any Doctor 'friends' who could talk to her. Remember though, she has to want to stop...it's an uphill battle if she thinks she doesn't have a problem. Good luck in doing the right thing...maybe sprinkle some AA literature around the house..
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

Uh.. she's definitely an alcoholic. You might want to educate yourself on that.

I've gone plenty of months without drinking or drugging, that doesn't mean in the slightest that I'm not an addict or an alcoholic. Being an alcoholic has pretty much nothing to do with the amount or frequency of drinking..

Anyways.. like bryan said, your house your rules. She is a full grown adult and can drink when she wants, whether or not you allow that in your life or your home is totally up to you.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cfm

Your sister is sick. And she is without a doubt a raging alcoholic
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How long is she to stay with you? Indefinately? I don't know if I could take that stress. I'd have to set down house rules and if not adhered to, other living arrangements for her. It is your home, after all, and you make the rules.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know you love your sister and want the best for her. She may be in denial about her drinking. What you SEE her drinking and what she really drinks may be a different story.

IMHO if you set down rules to an active alcoholic, she may not be able to adhere to them. She may be physically addicted. I would suggest a chat with her about your concerns and if she agrees she needs help, a Doctors appointment to detox safely.

I agree with the others...it is your house and your rules. If she refuses help, I'm afraid you have some decisions to make.

This must be very painful for you. Please know you have support here!