Notices

A liter a day.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I take Prozac for the anxiety. It helps me so much with that.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was drinking like that too... starting in the mornings every day. I highly suggest a detox, followed by aftercare and AA. Give AA a try. I'm not very religious, and I fit right in.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

LifetimeNJ, most people quit drinking without any program whatsoever, they just stop because they got sick and tired of being, well, you know, or their doctors told them to cut that out right now. They aren't here to speak for themselves obviously, but it's true. A whole bunch of others have chosen the spiritual answer to their addiction through 12 step programs that have led them to a closer relationship with a power greater than themselves. There is another group of us that have found our answer through developing skills and our internal resources to learn what we need to know to quit and stay quit, like me. I was a bottle a day kinda guy too.

It's the 21st century and there are lots of options for you now. Whatever route you take will require making your sobriety a matter of absolute commitment. You can do this, but you are going to need a plan. Are you ready to make a plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

For me: The alcohol was just causing the anxiety. Seriously. I am on paxil and drank the ENTIRE time I was on it. Once I stopped drinking, all the anxiety lifted! It was amazing. Give sobriety a shot!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just wanna thank everyone again for all the posts and advice and everything. As of right now, I'm still doing the same thing, but I feel like I'm really getting to the end of my rope. I'm hoping that I can stop on my own very soon, without any detox or rehab or anything, but if that doesn't work I guess I'm open to anything at this point.

I really appreciate everyone who took time to reply to my post, it's nice hearing from others who have been in the same boat.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You're spinning your wheels thinking about recovery. I know how long I dragged out doing something about my problem. Years. Quitting doesn't just happen. It is something we do as part of recovery.

In an earlier post you wrote:

Originally Posted by LifetimeNJ View Post
And to answer your question about AA, I'm reluctant because I feel like it focuses a lot on god and religion, which I am not a believer in at all.
No, AA focuses on getting the hopeless alcoholic sober. If it's sobriety you are seeking, at least go to a few meeting before you reject it. Or consider one of the other recovery methods.

But take a step forward. For yourself.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

LifetimeNJ-

There are lots of atheists in AA. They even have atheist/agnostic groups. Some groups are harder on the religion thing than others (especially down here in the bible belt) but I am pretty sure you can find a place in AA if you so desire.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
Oops...wrong place
Keep up the good work, UT.

My parents dropped me off at college in Knoxville in Septermber, 1975 and I started drinking every night.

I continued for the next 13 years (drinking more and more each year) and then got sober - in Knoxville.

I live in Knoxville and in Memphis (we split time) and I go to AA in both ends of the state.

Keep us posted on your progress, amigo, and keep posting.

CAH
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Nj....AA will not push God or religion on you, however, the discovery of a power greater than yourself is important. My sponsor in AA was an agnostic...did not believe in God...ten years in the program, however, it hit him and now he believes. However, he will be the first to tell you AA did not push God or religion on him....You should at least give AA a shot, listen to what you hear & make your own judgments. I wish you luck, I wish I would have quit at 25 years old.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I am looking up AA meetings near me now and I will attend one soon. I always thought that AA was all about god and religion and all that, but after reading your responses I'm less reluctant to go. I've been an atheist since long before I started drinking, but I definitely shouldn't use that as an excuse to not attend at least one AA meeting, I definitely don't have anything to lose.