Notices

Cold Meds: To Take or Not to Take

Old 09-19-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cold Meds: To Take or Not to Take

I have a question I need some info on. It has been 42 days since I stopped drinking and my sleep has been rather well now, from about 11:30pm to 7:00am. Yesterday however, I caught a cold and in the evening took some Theraflu to ease my symptoms as I sleep. I retired at 11:00pm and woke up at 3:00am, not able to get back to sleep, like I use to do in my drinking days. Did I have a reaction to the medicine as if I were drinking? If so I will find an alternative medicine when I get a cold.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has anyone experienced this with cold medicine?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I haven't. You have a cold. Maybe being sick is what is disrupting your sleep. Perhaps you can ask the pharmacist at your drug store to recommend an OTC cold medicine.

...and congrats on 42 days.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depends on what's in the medicine you took. Are you on any other medications it could have had a reaction with? Does is contain pseudoephedrine (you had to purchase from the pharmacist with an ID)?

I find medications with the pseudoephedrine give me speed like effects and would definitely stop me from sleeping. I have had reactions between night time cold meds with certain prescription anti-depressants make me feel like I'm on speed.

If it's a night time medicine, usually there is something in the medicine that will make you sleep or drowsy and it all depends on how your body reacts to those things as well. I can't take Nyquil because after 4 hours I'm wide awake.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was the regular OTC medicine, no pseudoephedrine in it. I'm not taking any other meds. Ok, so I'll take it that I have a cold and that's what woke me up. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me i find that alot of over the counter cold meds alter the way i feel .I usually stick with tylenol or advil.If it gets to bad I would see a doctor and let him know my circumstance.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Since this is the first time in 6 years of taking cold medicine without also being drunk along with it, the feeling I have is very different. Being sick is also a trigger as I remember my old ways of killing the symptoms with over indulging in Vodka. Although I lost a little sleep last night, I like the cold medicine remedy much better!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Be careful with flu meds. They often contain alcohol. I had a relapse after taking some cough syrup. It only takes a sip to start off the cravings.
Hope you get better soon, and congratulations on your 42 days.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Sally1009. I did have a bit of a craving a few hours after I took some DayQuil earlier today. I don't wanna chance it, so I'll be looking for something else. I will see what the Dr. will suggest I take.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Theraflu is a depressant just like Alcohol, it's primary function is to relax you. Chances are it could affect you like Alcohol did.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, I relate to what happened to you with the Theraflu. I would never have known it when I was drinking, but it turns out that I am actually very sensitive to medications of all kinds, including all OTC cold meds. I cannot take most of them without feeling awful. I shake, my heart pounds, I can't sleep, my mouth is dry, and frankly I would rather have the cold symptoms.

I've learned that for me, what works best is a nose spray (Afrin or something like it), tylenol and a lot of liquids.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OTC cold meds make me panicky.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have to admit, the Theraflu made me not want to walk around in the grass barefooted in the sun today, one of the things I do when I'm feeling happy. It changed my feeling of happy to be sober to "Man, I'm craving a drink!" It's funny how when you quit drinking you can hear your body craving alcohol just because of a medicine you thought was normal.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cold meds mess me up big time! I get jittery, light headed, dizzy, groggy.... I'd much rather have cold symptoms. Maybe check out some more natural remedies... Whole Foods has lots of stuff.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone....

Please remember when posting to follow this SR Rule...
Quote:
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Thank you
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back K...sorry you have a cold...

Congratulations on your sober progress....
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Carol!!