Notices

Ok so 12 Hours and I'm OK

Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok so 12 Hours and I'm OK

So I took my last drink about 14 hours ago and honestly I'm doing well. No trembles, heart rate is normal and not too anxious.

I called the local substance abuse center and have a plan of action if things get worse.

I do take Clonazepam already for anxiety attacks so that might help.

So when am I going to experience the worst?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sally1009

That depends on how much you were drinking, and for how long. In my opinion you should consult a doctor, especially as you are taking tranquilsers. A doctor can help you detox safely.
Well done for stopping, but stay safe.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well do really bad alcoholics get more symptoms at 12 hours?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can get symptoms for many days after, bad ones. I highly recommend seeing a doctor. Unsupervised detox can be dangerous and even fatal.
Good luck to you and congratulations on deciding to quit!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
I don't know the actual timing-again, I suggest seeing a doctor who can safely detox you.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. I could have the 4th drink of the day in my hands and be suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

A Dr will check your vitals, take into consideration that you are on Klonopin, and prescribe accordingly. I drank very heavily and detoxed once with very few symptoms, another time I damn near died (very high BP, heart palpitations, and small seizures). The last time I didn't Eff around and I did a medical detox.

At least go get checked out, and be completely honest about your alcohol intake, your klonopin usage, and any other drug usage, legal or illegal, prescribed or OTC.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As others have said, it is wise to consult with a doctor before beginning detox.

From IntelliHealth:

Alcohol Withdrawal
What Is It?
Symptoms
Diagnosis
Expected Duration
Prevention

Treatment
When to Call a Professional
Prognosis
Additional Info

What Is It?

Alcohol withdrawal is the changes the body goes through when a person suddenly stops drinking after prolonged and heavy alcohol use. Symptoms include trembling (shakes), insomnia, anxiety and other physical and mental symptoms.

Alcohol has a slowing effect (also called a sedating effect or depressant effect) on the brain. In a heavy, long-term drinker, the brain is almost continually exposed to the depressant effect of alcohol. Over time, the brain adjusts its own chemistry to compensate for the effect of the alcohol. It does this by producing naturally stimulating chemicals (such as serotonin or norepinephrine, which is a relative of adrenaline) in larger quantities than normal. If the alcohol is withdrawn suddenly, the brain is like an accelerated vehicle that has lost its brakes. Not surprisingly, most symptoms of withdrawal are symptoms that occur when the brain is overstimulated.

The most dangerous form of alcohol withdrawal occurs in about 1 out of every 20 people who have withdrawal symptoms. This condition is called delirium tremens (also called DTs). In delirium tremens, the brain is not able to smoothly readjust its chemistry after alcohol is stopped. This creates a state of temporary confusion and leads to dangerous changes in the way your brain regulates your circulation and breathing. The body's vital signs such as your heart rate or blood pressure can change dramatically or unpredictably, creating a risk of heart attack, stroke or death.

Symptoms

If your brain has adjusted to your heavy drinking habits, it takes time for your brain to adjust back. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms occur in a predictable pattern after your last alcohol drink. Not all symptoms develop in all patients:

Tremors (shakes). These usually begin within 5 to 10 hours after the last alcohol drink and typically peak at 24 to 48 hours. Along with tremors (trembling), you can have a rapid pulse, an increase in blood pressure, rapid breathing, sweating, nausea and vomiting, anxiety or a hyper-alert state, irritability, nightmares or vivid dreams, and insomnia.

Alcohol hallucinosis. This symptom usually begins within 12 to 24 hours after your last drink, and may last as long as 2 days once it begins. If this happens, you hallucinate (see or feel things that are not real). It is common for people who are withdrawing from alcohol to see multiple small, similar, moving objects. Sometimes the vision is perceived to be crawling insects or falling coins. It is possible for an alcohol withdrawal hallucination to be a very detailed and imaginative vision.

Alcohol withdrawal seizures. Seizures may occur 6 to 48 hours after the last drink, and it is common for several seizures to occur over several hours. The risk peaks at 24 hours.

Delirium tremens. Delirium tremens commonly begins two to three days after the last alcohol drink, but it may be delayed more than a week. Its peak intensity is usually four to five days after the last drink. This condition causes dangerous shifts in your breathing, your circulation and your temperature control. It can cause your heart to race dangerously or can cause your blood pressure to increase dramatically, and it can cause dangerous dehydration. Delirium tremens also can temporarily reduce the amount of blood flow to your brain. Symptoms can include confusion, disorientation, stupor or loss of consciousness, nervous or angry behavior, irrational beliefs, soaking sweats, sleep disturbances and hallucinations.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seizures is my only concern but I think the Clonazepam will keep it at bay.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Seizures is my only concern but I think the Clonazepam will keep it at bay.

UTGrad, did you speak to a doctor? I know you mentioned a substance abuse center (which is excellent!!) but it's very important you tell your doctor or whoever prescribed the clonazapem to you that you're detoxing from alcohol as well.
If you've been taking a daily dose for anxiety, you're likely tolerant to the seizure inhibiting effect it has.
Please talk to your doctor!! Even a walk in clinic, likely any doc can help you with this. It won't take long and it will ensure no potentially serious and deadly problems in withdrawal.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep moving forward and don't forget to drink lots of water...