Notices

I don't know where to go for help

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know where to go for help

I have 4 links up on my computer, two phone numbers, I don't know who to call, or what to do, I only have an hour to talk to someone then I have to go pick up my girls, then I have to pretend everything is ok, I don't know what to do anymore, just crying now, I'm scared, I have got myself into a place I thought I would never go, on the plus side I have no doubt anymore, about being alcoholic I mean.

I don't know whether to phone one of these numbers now, or just wait till I am calmer and no pressure of me having to leave then they phone back when other people are in the house, I don't know what to do, thing is if I do phone they can't help right this minute I know that, so then what?

Do I buy more when picking up my girls?, I don't want to drink anymore but I get scared.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Call your local AA number...You can just talk...They won't call you back unless you tell them to...I'd give them a call now...It will calm you down...They have nice people that answer the phones that have been where you are...Relax and take a deep breath.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This place is useless for help where I live, I phoned the (where i live) alcohol program, the guy on the phone didn't even know the address, he just said the name of the estate, in fact I actually had to ask if I had got though to the right number, he said "hi" I said umm umm umm is that the alcohol place) i said have you got a road name, I know the estate but only where the row of shops is, he just said well go there and ask directions!!! Obvioulsy I told him I don't exactly want to ask some stranger the way to the alcoholic help house, also he told me they are closed on Thursdays so I better wait to Friday, so back to my original post, should I try another number, but drink more later, just kill myself now???
Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you talking about Alcoholics Anonymous?....They don't have a helpline there?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The helpline I just phoned was (my area) alcoholic abuse helpline, obvioulsy not much help I hardly know where to go and can't go till Friday
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What's your area?...I'll get a number for you.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to AA here (well about 5 times) thats was about 2 years ago, at this point happy to try again. But when I looked at meetings recently the one I used to go to doesn't exist (was a daytime one) and I can only see four meetings a week now :-/

I just don't know what to do right now, I don't want to drink anymore but equally I am scared of withdrawal?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So you need to detox.....I don't know how it works in England....I know in the US we can just go down to a hospital and do it if nothing else is available...To an emergency room...Is that an option for you?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can you go to your GP? They will be able to help and get you into a detox programme if necessary and refer you to local community alcohol services.

You can also phone drinkline - 0800 917 8282

If you go to this website Find more health services - Alcohol addiction support - NHS Choices, you can enter your location and find local services that will help.

I hope you get some help soon. Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks MrsKing!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know if I need to detox, I used to be able to stop for a day with no problems, well apart from the mental ones, yesterday I had major heart racing/panicy freaked out, have had that before but not for a while as been trying to be good, but yesterday I got my partner to buy me some beer and went to bed, I wasn't going to drink today, yet here I am, had a few to stop the anxiety, but like yesterday I don't want to drink, but can already feel the heart going again, I have none in the house right now, but do need to go pick up one of my daughters in 15 mins, do I buy some more? I don't mentally want to drink but scared not too, ah i dunno :-(

Anyways I have to go get her.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't like telling people they should drink....But when I went into my detox/rehab I had a three day wait and they told me to keep drinking till I could get in...Don't go crazy with it...But don't just cut it off completely either is what I was told...That worked for me...I wouldn't be drinking and driving though.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Google AA Meetings Your City, UK. Here in the US you'll find the meetings and the phone #s. I think the alcohol abuse line in the UK is a government funded thing but I could be wrong. Some of your countrymen should be along later. Hang in there.

Is going to the hospital an option for you as Sapling suggested?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I don't like telling people they should drink....But when I went into my detox/rehab I had a three day wait and they told me to keep drinking till I could get in...Don't go crazy with it...But don't just cut it off completely either is what I was told...That worked for me...I wouldn't be drinking and driving though.
I agree with this...you don't want to completely cut off if you can't get help.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

People die doing that.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
People die doing that.
exactly...especially if you drink a large quantity per day.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for replys, I don't have to drive to pick up my youngest from school so no worry there, I picked up 2 cans though, I normally drink vodka or wine, but I'm kinda scared, bit more relaxed now, have fed my girls and just sitting outside having a crafty ciggie. I just don't know what to do short term, but I need to do something, it's beyond a joke now, I can't live this way no more.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Where in the UK are you Saxony? You say you live on an Estate which suggests you live in a populated area? (I am also UK)

Bear in mind, as another SR member told me, they don't update their websites very often/dated info perhaps?

I wouldn't like to advocate drinking again either, however, agree with Sapling.

Just drink a little tonight to take the edge off the anxiety and help you think a little bit clearer and you can set a plan in action to get the help you need tomorrow.

Do you have anyone that can help with your girls? x
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AA member

Saxony you can call NHS direct anytime.

The Alcohol Abuse number is not Alcoholics Anonymous.The Alcoholics Anonymous number will be in the yellow pages.

You really do need to get some medical help to detox.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saxony View Post
Thanks for replys, I don't have to drive to pick up my youngest from school so no worry there, I picked up 2 cans though, I normally drink vodka or wine, but I'm kinda scared, bit more relaxed now, have fed my girls and just sitting outside having a crafty ciggie. I just don't know what to do short term, but I need to do something, it's beyond a joke now, I can't live this way no more.
Just know there is hope and you don't have to be alone.