Notices

so what to do...

Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so what to do...

in all honesty, my boredom is one of my greatest enemies.

I watch tv at night when I don't feel like doing anything else. with that, on most nights, comes beer or wine. for instance, tonight, I had four beers without even realizing it. granted, that was over several hours, but still...why even feel like that is necessary? I would love to sit there and be satisfied (more often than not), with a glass of water or tea. I suppose that is part of the compulsion factor, but it gets old.

I don't feel hopeless, just not sure how to proceed on without booze being a part of my life pretty frequently. four doesn't seem like much to me at this point.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic then you have both an allergy of the body causing the craving after you introduce alcohol to your system. But you also have an obsession of the mind which is why you always want to drink the next day and the next day and the next day etc. Boredom doesn't help but if you are an alcoholic, untreated you'll always have that obsession that drives you to the first drink which triggers the allergy.

I've found that in working the 12 steps of AA somewhere soon after taking step three I was blessed to be free of the obsession. Freedom is amazing when you can remember what that constant obsession was like. It is however only a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance this program of recovery. Not sure if that is any help but there is help out there if you want it. A way out you might say.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish I weren't afraid of going to a meeting. I live in a fairly small town and I am concerned about the anonymity factor.

Been researching AVRT and it actually makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

now think about it: you would be goin to a meeting to get help with a problem you have. that is better than stumbling around drunk showing you have a problem and not doin anything about it. the fear you have is quite common. all ya gotta do is get some courage. i didnt care who saw me fall off a barstool and after some time in AA, i didnt care who saw me getting help.
it could very well be the best move ya make.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live in a small town too, and I am a bit concerned about my privacy, (I know, it's anonymous, but still I worry) so I drive 30 minutes to a nearby small city to attend meetings. I'm kinda enjoying the drive, actually. It gives me time to thi k before and after the meeting.
I used to drink even when I didn't FEEL like drinking. I just drank. It's what I did. Every day. And yeah, four beers was nothing.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

So, how many people do you know who are alcoholics and attend AA? I would assume no one is telling you who is in a meeting or not.....anonymity is alive and well! Most people go to save their rear-ends, not to focus on others! Most people know or can tell if we drink or not long before we tell them (or not).

I hope what ever program of recovery you choose works for you! Work it like your life depends upon it! And turn off that tv and start doing stuff! Life is so precious!!

With love & hugs,
Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you! It's amazing to see a light at the end of this tunnel.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My snarky comment would be something like "Boy I wish I had time to be bored!"

I had to really change a lot of my life when I sobered up, including my routines. I started going to the gym, or for walks, trying new recipes, reading new books, going to meetings/counseling sessions, taking classes, etc.. anything but sitting and thinking about not drinking, because that always led me back TO drinking as I wasn't replacing any of my behaviors.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
My snarky comment would be something like "Boy I wish I had time to be bored!"

I had to really change a lot of my life when I sobered up, including my routines. I started going to the gym, or for walks, trying new recipes, reading new books, going to meetings/counseling sessions, taking classes, etc.. anything but sitting and thinking about not drinking, because that always led me back TO drinking as I wasn't replacing any of my behaviors.
It's okay to be snarky, I'm kind of a pro at it myself.

I do a fitness boot camp at 5:15am and take a buddhist philosophy class once a week. counseling, yes, but I have only been going once a month; I probably need to up that for now, not to mention being more open about the drinking than I have been in the past.

perhaps some of the boredom comes FROM the drinking. I think I need it, but it makes me stagnant.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Red79 View Post
I don't feel hopeless, just not sure how to proceed on without booze being a part of my life pretty frequently. four doesn't seem like much to me at this point.
When you can feel just as comfortable without alcohol as you did on your best day with alcohol, you'll not be bored about whatever for very long ever again, lol.

It really does get better. No way I would still be sober if sobriety sucked, you know? Drinking isn't better, and thats the truth, hahaha.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
It really does get better. No way I would still be sober if sobriety sucked, you know? Drinking isn't better, and thats the truth, hahaha.
THANK YOU, seriously. you're awesome.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red79 View Post
It's okay to be snarky, I'm kind of a pro at it myself.

I do a fitness boot camp at 5:15am and take a buddhist philosophy class once a week. counseling, yes, but I have only been going once a month; I probably need to up that for now, not to mention being more open about the drinking than I have been in the past.

perhaps some of the boredom comes FROM the drinking. I think I need it, but it makes me stagnant.
I think I am more interesting and less boring person since I quit drinking. I think the boredom will lift when you find you have more energy from not drinking. And good for you for the counseling, Buddhist class, and workouts!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobersunshine View Post
I think I am more interesting and less boring person since I quit drinking. I think the boredom will lift when you find you have more energy from not drinking. And good for you for the counseling, Buddhist class, and workouts!
I hope you're right and I bet you are. It seems the fear of quitting is almost bigger than quitting itself.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Before my drinking was ever a problem .being bored was.
.my Dad talked to me about bordom.

"Of course you are bored...get out of the house ..find
something to improve your life..prefferably something that will help
others too. It's great to be a friend to those who need assistance"
Old 09-19-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carold View Post
before my drinking was ever a problem .being bored was.
.my dad talked to me about bordom.

"of course you are bored...get out of the house ..find
something to improve your life..prefferably something that will help
others too. It's great to be a friend to those who need assistance"
amen!