Notices

What's your biggest trigger?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's your biggest trigger?

I've been alcohol free a month tomorrow and so far, I haven't run into any bumps in the road. I will be traveling next month to visit family up north and I can't remember the last time I flew sober. I'm a very nervous flier, so I would definitely say flying is a huge trigger for me. I'm already trying to come up with reasons to cancel the trip. What are some big triggers for you guys?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know this may sound funny, but Call of Duty MW3 the video game. I use to play multiplayer when I would start my evening drinking. I didnt touch the game for months after I got sober, and when I did it brought a huge urge to drink. I managed not to give in, and after fighting it for awhile I can now play it with no urge.... Also, my playing ability has improved lol
Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everything was a reason for me to drink by the end Seminole...
Fear (of whatever) was certainly in the top 5 tho

I have no experience with fear of flying, but I know others will have experience with that and maybe some suggestions

D
Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Malsi View Post
I know this may sound funny, but Call of Duty MW3 the video game. I use to play multiplayer when I would start my evening drinking. I didnt touch the game for months after I got sober, and when I did it brought a huge urge to drink. I managed not to give in, and after fighting it for awhile I can now play it with no urge.... Also, my playing ability has improved lol
I am the same way with Sniper Elite, drinking ruined that game for me but I know one day I will be able to play it and enjoy it the way I did before I introduced alcohol to it.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Malsi View Post
I can relate to that. I use to play Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 Drunk... I made a load of friends while drinking and playing those games. Because I was funny to them... just didn't realize I was only funny because it made them laugh at me being a drunk playing video games by myself while drunk. it wasnt my trigger though. I was an avid player before I drank, while I drank I made more noise then anything when I get a 4 kill streak (funny eh?!) or if I got killed i'd flip out and chug back more liquid encouragement. After awhile I got bored of playing video games while drunk and really wanted to talk to people so I started hitting the bars with outside patios.

So I guess my main trigger was the love of the nice warm outdoors while cracking open a beer or a 26er of vodka with pepsi. I always felt the urge to drink whenever I was outside in the nice warm summers day. For awhile I didn't dare go outside because I could smell the crisp warm air and always caused me to want to drink. This past summer though I didn't have the urge to drink. I managed to stay sober and now Im a year sober and 1 month yesterday. It feels great to be sober, and it feels great to have a loving family, caring friends and a very loving and supporting girlfriend of almost 10 months! She understands im in AA and my past addictions and doesn't judge me for it but admires my courage to move forward with life and not pick up a drink. Sure there are some up and down days and I've faced a few down days lately. But what counts most is that Im sober and I can deal with life issues along the way like a normal human being, not go out and get drunk! as long as you have the will power to change I'm sure you will follow your heart and go on that well deserved trip of yours. Bring a novel, music, watch a movie on the plane if it offers that chance. Do something to occupy your mind but also remember what your goal is... to not pick up a drink for THAT day. Good luck
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most of my triggers I feel like I can handle, they're just conditioned responses, like wanting wine with a certain food, or beer on a sunny day.

But if I am busy or under pressure I get bad cravings... I feel like I have to really be in control of my environment. I think it is just because I was doing a lot when I was drinking and I used alcohol to zone out in a shorter period of 'relaxing' time. I'm reintroducing social stuff into my calender slowly so I don't overwhelm myself!

Is cancelling the trip an option...? Or getting there another way other than flying? I have had to do stuff I didn't want to do early on in sobriety and it was fine, but not comfortable. If I had the option of opting out at that time I would have. If I had my time over I would have cancelled that visit from family too! x
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

In the end, it was waking up. I didn't want to face me or the world.

The thoughts I get today of drinking/getting high are when thing are going really well. I want that euphoria to be expanded....but the thoughts are fleeting, they last a split second and I can think them through within 5 seconds (to the end when waking up was that awful).

Stay strong and stay stopped, it's so much better now!!!!!!!!

Oh, I thought of this one yesterday. It's football. I don't like it and to watch it I had to be drunk or stoned. I just don't watch much of it today or when it's on, I nap through it.....Go Eagles!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

when i got into recovery, everything was a trigger as i drank over everything. today, i dont have any triggers. i dont have a drinkin problem today, i have a thinkin problem, but the thinkin problem that made me drink has been removed.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Nine times out of ten my triggers are insmnia and depression, with depression being the number one killer. Occasionally it's anxiety, or anger too. And watching Frasier doesn't help, because although I love the series, there is drinking in almost every scene!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Trigger is not in my recovery vocabulary but perhaps turning
off the TV until you feel secure about your choice to
live sober is a good idea

Many TV shows show people drinking and they are
professionally sucessful. The idea is what ever the writers
find draws the most watchers...they film.

When I watch nature shows I have no diesire to go to the jungle ..
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

So far, (I'm only 3 weeks sober), it is being moody. Fidgety. Even if I have something to do, I find myself not wanting to do anything. Antsy maybe... like nothing sounds good. I fight with myself to feel satisfied... and then the booze brain sort of taunts me.

"Ya know, why not get a bottle of chardonnay and just enjoy a night in with some good movies."

I am working on being aware of this mood and having someone to call or something to do. Even if it is just a long, hot shower with aromatherapy.

(oh, and I don't think I will make any plans to fly for at least a year. Flying will definitely be a trigger. Wow, didn't even think about that one.)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Oh, I thought of this one yesterday. It's football. I don't like it and to watch it I had to be drunk or stoned. I just don't watch much of it today or when it's on, I nap through it.....Go Eagles!
It is weird, I thought I was going to feel the same way. But, actually, it is nice to remember the game and all the plays. Football season is one of my greatest joys - so I am glad sobriety hasn't taken that away!

Go BUCCANEERS!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Payday...Rowing with the wife...The kids playing up...Hot sunny days...The list is endless....
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, my triggers are plenty. Boredom, stress, kids misbehaving, air...I really didn't have triggers at the end, I just drank because I was breathing.