Notices

Dumbest Excuse to Relapse

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dumbest Excuse to Relapse

What's yours and what will/did you do about it?

After another two week binge when I had swore to never drink again, I am finally free from my main driving factors. This time the drive to drink was that I needed to finish watching a particular series because there is too much alcohol related advertisement plastered all over it. Now that I got that series out of the way I purchased rational recovery, told my father and also my mother in-law I'm an alcoholic, confessed to a good friend that I am an alcoholic and set up a plan to keep me clean. It feels good to be back on track and this time I am bound and determined to keep it this way. I know telling people won't save me, in the end it's all up to me but they are going to phone me during my "panic hour" and hound me to make sure I go for my 45 min dog walk to keep me occupied until the liquor store closes. I also told them not to mention why they are checking up on me, just to ask what I'm doing as hearing related words during my panic hour tend to gnaw at me until I cave.

Lastly, I am going to only watch family friendly stuff for the time being until the desire to drink dwindles and fizzles. Just thought I'd share and I'd love to hear your triggers/excuses/whatever's and how you intend to (or do) overcome them.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can't remember what my dumbest excuse to drink was. I guess the point is that they're ALL just excuses.

I suggest you do more than just read about it and post here though. Having someone phone you from time to time is a good idea, but you should also go further and have a list of phone numbers that you can call when you feel you're getting into issues. The people that you are having call you may not know when you're in trouble until it's too late.

I suggest finding an local AA meeting, simply because you can get all the support needed and a list of phone numbers that will understand when you call at 3 AM
Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

because 'everyone else is doing it'!

Funnily enough, when my granddad died I was so distressed by it, the day after the funeral I decided to quit. For his sake. Because I knew that if I started drinking I wouldn't want to stop. And that was my 7 months off the alcohol.

It seems alot of people drink to cope with grief, whereas I was the opposite for some reason.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do the Math.

1.) No one will know.
2.) I'm only drinking Beer so it doesn't count.
3.) I'm just going to have one, or I will stop after _____.
4.) Can't enjoy Football without Alcohol.
5.) It will be different this time.
6.) I deserve it as a reward for ______.
7.) I am only drinking for this ______ event.
8.) Look at all of the "Fun" I am missing out on.
9.) I am going to pace myself and only drink _____ per _____.
10.) My _______ pissed me off so it is their fault I have to drink.
11.) I have been sober for ______, so I must be cured.
12.) I can't let this free Alcohol go to waste.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
Can't remember what my dumbest excuse to drink was. I guess the point is that they're ALL just excuses.

I suggest you do more than just read about it and post here though. Having someone phone you from time to time is a good idea, but you should also go further and have a list of phone numbers that you can call when you feel you're getting into issues. The people that you are having call you may not know when you're in trouble until it's too late.

I suggest finding an local AA meeting, simply because you can get all the support needed and a list of phone numbers that will understand when you call at 3 AM
While I respect you and admire how you've stayed sober for over 30 years, which is truly an inspiration. And I'm sure from time to time you probably still consider picking up a drink, honestly your preaching drives people away and makes them feel bad about the decisions they are making to try and clean up.
AA is not for everyone and I do believe that there is life for an ex-alcoholic outside of AA if you can recognize your triggers, and draw up a plan to deal with them. I didn't just drink and attempt to sober up more than a thousand times with no success, I studied myself each time to figure out what was motivating me to get in the car and go to the store.
My family isn't going to mind if I call them in the middle of the night, I admire my dad's word and his respect more than anything in this world. I consider myself fortunate to have these people who are willing to take in my burden, sometimes it's that easy. Sometime's it's not, but AA is not a cure, people attend then stumble and fall all the time. The only cure is within you, within your mind and I bet half of the members recovering have been successful without the use of AA.
Also for the record talking about these stupid moments will help those who are in lingo see what's causing them to drink. So while they are "all dumb excuses" pin pointing and narrowing down the list DOES HELP. I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off strong but your comments always tend to come off as judge mental and rather arrogant even when you're trying not to be.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugarfix View Post
because 'everyone else is doing it'!

Funnily enough, when my granddad died I was so distressed by it, the day after the funeral I decided to quit. For his sake. Because I knew that if I started drinking I wouldn't want to stop. And that was my 7 months off the alcohol.

It seems alot of people drink to cope with grief, whereas I was the opposite for some reason.
That's sort of how I am, when I get severely depressed, due to a major loss or absolute breakdown all my drive to drink diminishes. But now I just gotta be strong and regain control of my life while it's still happy and rather peaceful. Good for you on the 7 month sobriety!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I think what Fred was getting at is that you do need to be very active in the quest to recover. Having people call in the witching hour won't necessarily do much- you don't have to answer if you aren't feeling it. And watching family friendly tv...you can always change the channel.

What I'm getting at is that you need to be prepared to be strong against your cravings. You have to know, without a doubt, that you are no longer a drinker and will not cave to your thoughts.

I did go to AA for a few months, but I no longer go. It went against my core beliefs of recovery, but it sure helped me get a grip in the beginning. I now live life in a way that makes me proud. I am a non-drinker.

I guess what I'm saying is just be prepared. Those cravings can be sneaky.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
I think what Fred was getting at is that you do need to be very active in the quest to recover. Having people call in the witching hour won't necessarily do much- you don't have to answer if you aren't feeling it. And watching family friendly tv...you can always change the channel.

What I'm getting at is that you need to be prepared to be strong against your cravings. You have to know, without a doubt, that you are no longer a drinker and will not cave to your thoughts.

I did go to AA for a few months, but I no longer go. It went against my core beliefs of recovery, but it sure helped me get a grip in the beginning. I now live life in a way that makes me proud. I am a non-drinker.

I guess what I'm saying is just be prepared. Those cravings can be sneaky.

That is not my only solution it is just one of many. But thank you.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, looking back they were all pretty dumb but the dumbest?? One was that I couldn't sleep without it. Another...I was going to die anyway....might as well die drinking. Ummm....nobody loved me. Lots of self-pity for me.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm just going to have one more and quit tomorrow.

12 beers later...
Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

my biggest and dumbest excuse to relapse again was because my friend wouldn't try to stop me from drinking again, as soon as we enter the liquor store of LCBO (im in Whitby!) He never stopped me so I blamed him for allowing me to drink again.Then I'd be a binge for days and my last drinking binge days.... I figured I might as well keep drinking till I'm broke or dead from alcohol poisoning because I skipped 3 days of work because I was too drunk to go in or too hung over to make it where as I would pick up drinking to rid the hangover and just be more drunk then ever. As Jennikate said.... I decided I might as well keep drinking anyways since I missed work and I'd be in a ton of trouble with them now, assumed I had no job to go to so I kept drinking... remember vaguely saying quietly "i might as well keep drinking till I die from alcohol poisoning... only way to really quit is to die anyways." Luckily I was spared.... Im SOOOO happy I don't have to deal with that anymore. Been sober a year and a month now and Im 27 years old... thank god I came in early to AA!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Talking

The most ridiculous excuse I ever used was on a trip to meet my half-brother in Albany for the first time. I had been sober for nine months, and had no intention of drinking again. But as my husband and I left Heathrow, I had a brainwave. I was nervous about meeting my brother, how it would go etc. so when the drinks trolley came round, my AV said "Technically, if I drink on the planeit wont count, since I did all my drinking on the earth...
Needless to say we arrived at JFK with me hammered, since I was to learn that drinking in a pressurised cabin doubles the effect of alcohol...
Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by THEOjibway View Post
my biggest and dumbest excuse to relapse again was because my friend wouldn't try to stop me from drinking again, as soon as we enter the liquor store of LCBO (im in Whitby!) He never stopped me so I blamed him for allowing me to drink again.Then I'd be a binge for days and my last drinking binge days.... I figured I might as well keep drinking till I'm broke or dead from alcohol poisoning because I skipped 3 days of work because I was too drunk to go in or too hung over to make it where as I would pick up drinking to rid the hangover and just be more drunk then ever. As Jennikate said.... I decided I might as well keep drinking anyways since I missed work and I'd be in a ton of trouble with them now, assumed I had no job to go to so I kept drinking... remember vaguely saying quietly "i might as well keep drinking till I die from alcohol poisoning... only way to really quit is to die anyways." Luckily I was spared.... Im SOOOO happy I don't have to deal with that anymore. Been sober a year and a month now and Im 27 years old... thank god I came in early to AA!
Last time during my attempted quit I rationalized that maybe I should just give in and drink to death, but then I remembered that you may not die as quickly as you'd like. It could steal everything out from under you and then all you'd have is it for however many years you remain on this planet. Glad to hear you are over a year sober now, must be a huge relief to know that you made it through your first year.. Now onto the second
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
The most ridiculous excuse I ever used was on a trip to meet my half-brother in Albany for the first time. I had been sober for nine months, and had no intention of drinking again. But as my husband and I left Heathrow, I had a brainwave. I was nervous about meeting my brother, how it would go etc. so when the drinks trolley came round, my AV said "Technically, if I drink on the planeit wont count, since I did all my drinking on the earth...
Needless to say we arrived at JFK with me hammered, since I was to learn that drinking in a pressurised cabin doubles the effect of alcohol...
That must have been an awful experience, especially when you're trapped on a long haul flight with the decision to do or don't. Oh the madness!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[I].......if you can recognize your triggers, and draw up a plan to deal with them. I didn't just drink and attempt to sober up more than a thousand times with no success, I studied myself each time to figure out what was motivating me to get in the car and go to the store. [/I]

yep, did that, too. a million times. studied and studied, planned, decided, decided for sure. and could never understand how i ended up at the store again.
til i saw i was a drunk. til i understood that this meant it would never be different. saw that triggers come and triggers go and they are not the cause of my drinking. the cause is alcoholism. the excuses, dumb dumber or dumbest, actually had nothing to do with reasons or cause...they covered up what i didn't/couldn't see.

and, you see, i did quit and study a thousand times. with no success

and you're right, one can be sober and okay without AA. without a whole lot of stuff. but without actually DOING something, daily, ...i couldn't. i didn't.
wishing you well.
but i've probably pissed you off
Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Towards the end I didn't need an excuse. However, prior to the end, I had a
calendar with all the days.

On each day was a reason to celebrate (DRINK). There is one 'excuse' I
remember, and the others were just asw ridiculous!

"The 4th anniversary of Bluebird's (notorious Pirate from 19th century) 4th
marriage.

That calendar gave me an excuse for 365 days a year plus one for the 29th
of February.

Now how sick is that? And I was proud to have that calendar.

But I will tell you this. When I was sitting on a concrete bumper next to the
left front wheel of my car, in the Hollywood Bowl Park parking lot, and every
swig of Thunderbird Wine (yes a girl that only drank Black Jack and Wild Turkey
for many years was now reduced to good old Thunderbird) and it felt like it
was coming out of my pores as fast as I swallowed it in, I knew without a
shadow of a doubt I was dying, and all of a sudden I knew if I tried to detox
(sober up) I would also, BUT I wanted to die sober.

And I did die. I went to the ER early the next morning and between 8am
and 4:30pm my heart stopped 11 times. The last time after 28 minutes of
trying to restart it, the ER doctor called 'it' and started writing the T.O.D.
on my chart. My heart started on it's own, and someday I WILL DIE
SOBER.

This is why you will see me post on detoxing threads that DETOXING FROM
ALCOHOL CAN BE and IS DEADLY. Do NOT ATTEMPT THIS BY YOURSELF!

It doesn't matter what your excuses were or your last excuse. I beg you
to find recovery now, before you have to take this affliction to the MAX the
way I did. STOP NOW!!!!!! You will find a life you never dreamed was
possible!!!!

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went to meetings,got involved,got a Higher Power. Any excuse will do if we want to drink, it doesn;t matter. I drank plain and simple because I wanted to, didn't need an excuse.

Earthworm

Originally Posted by lookingtolive View Post
What's yours and what will/did you do about it?

After another two week binge when I had swore to never drink again, I am finally free from my main driving factors. This time the drive to drink was that I needed to finish watching a particular series because there is too much alcohol related advertisement plastered all over it. Now that I got that series out of the way I purchased rational recovery, told my father and also my mother in-law I'm an alcoholic, confessed to a good friend that I am an alcoholic and set up a plan to keep me clean. It feels good to be back on track and this time I am bound and determined to keep it this way. I know telling people won't save me, in the end it's all up to me but they are going to phone me during my "panic hour" and hound me to make sure I go for my 45 min dog walk to keep me occupied until the liquor store closes. I also told them not to mention why they are checking up on me, just to ask what I'm doing as hearing related words during my panic hour tend to gnaw at me until I cave.

Lastly, I am going to only watch family friendly stuff for the time being until the desire to drink dwindles and fizzles. Just thought I'd share and I'd love to hear your triggers/excuses/whatever's and how you intend to (or do) overcome them.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lookingtolive View Post
That's sort of how I am, when I get severely depressed, due to a major loss or absolute breakdown all my drive to drink diminishes. But now I just gotta be strong and regain control of my life while it's still happy and rather peaceful. Good for you on the 7 month sobriety!
I am only on day 5 of sobriety. I did 7 months off and am 11 months into it now!

I didn't make it clear enough - thank you though
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
[I].......if you can recognize your triggers, and draw up a plan to deal with them. I didn't just drink and attempt to sober up more than a thousand times with no success, I studied myself each time to figure out what was motivating me to get in the car and go to the store. [/I]

yep, did that, too. a million times. studied and studied, planned, decided, decided for sure. and could never understand how i ended up at the store again.
til i saw i was a drunk. til i understood that this meant it would never be different. saw that triggers come and triggers go and they are not the cause of my drinking. the cause is alcoholism. the excuses, dumb dumber or dumbest, actually had nothing to do with reasons or cause...they covered up what i didn't/couldn't see.

and, you see, i did quit and study a thousand times. with no success

and you're right, one can be sober and okay without AA. without a whole lot of stuff. but without actually DOING something, daily, ...i couldn't. i didn't.
wishing you well.
but i've probably pissed you off
Absolutely not, I may speak my mind but I don't get upset with people for having their opinions.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugarfix View Post
I am only on day 5 of sobriety. I did 7 months off and am 11 months into it now!

I didn't make it clear enough - thank you though
One day you and I both will never look back. Don't ever give up trying!