Notices

Dumbest Excuse to Relapse

Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

My all-time dumbest, and most used excuse, for drinking again after quitting, was always... "I don't really want to quit anyways, so why fight it?"

What a perfect delusion, eh?!

I'm amazed at how many persons insist you really gotta want to quit to actually stay quit. Not me. That kind of trapped simplistic thinking always ended me up drunk sooner than later.

I eventually did quit drinking, and my wanting to or not wanting to quit had very little to do with it, really. The struggle process in quitting is just normal addiction ambivalence with alcohol, and not unusual or remakable in itself. It was not surprising I both wanted to keep drinking and wanted to quit drinking at the same time... why make a bigger deal out of it?

I finally quit for good and all, because I was obviously gonna die drunk if I didn't quit. I gave up trying to find some new way to drink and not kill myself off while drinking. So many ways to die drunk, don't we know?!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

my dumbest reason was that I was afraid that if I didn't drink/drug myself to sleep I'd do something dumber...cause I was tempted to do something dumb.

I realized, eventually, that drinking and drugging were mighty dumb, and that I had better figure out how to deal with my underlying issues so that I wasn't running from one dumb thing to another trying to pick the lesser of many dumb things.

I had to start finding some good doors to open in my life.

When drinking/drugging led to overdoes, it was hard for me to rationalize how they could be any less dumb than other things on my list. ugh.

Ultimately, I finally acknowledged that I had to get into recovery or die. NOT just stop drinking and drugging, but to recovery and create a life that had actual options in it.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lookingtolive View Post
Last time during my attempted quit I rationalized that maybe I should just give in and drink to death, but then I remembered that you may not die as quickly as you'd like. It could steal everything out from under you and then all you'd have is it for however many years you remain on this planet. Glad to hear you are over a year sober now, must be a huge relief to know that you made it through your first year.. Now onto the second
yeah... I know its a slow and even painful death. But IM glad I was spared. I was on the brink of death it wasn't easy. I had so much to drink without food, water and sleep that my body was overwhelmed with exhaustion and dehydration and little sleep. I swear when I started closing my eyes my heart would beat slowly and less... I could feel it. So I tried to stay up. But anyways whats the point to dwell right? im here now and Im doing just great now
Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm with you about studying myself. I always thought I "saw through all the BS" during the hangover day. (How's that for an excuse to drink?!) I thought things were clearer when I couldn't have been farther from the truth. Having done this countless times, I found the AVRT site through this forum. I find it interesting, and it has worked for me so far (day 12), alonh with working out during my "panic hour" which is my lunch break at work. As another excuse, I deluded myself into believing that my drinking buddies were friends. Having stopped and gotten the alcohol completely out of my system has allowed me to see the REAL truth I thought I was able to see all along, and has allowed me to START taking back control of my lige. So I think the self-study IS a viable technique as long as it is paired with a sincere desire to stop drinking.
Best of luck to you. You CAN do this.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't actually relapse because of it, but since you asked for the dumbest excuse ever...

At one point, about one month in, I was starting to lose motivation to keep with it and thought to myself that I should get really drunk to remind myself why I don't want to drink anymore.

You know, get drunk in the name of sobriety... it sounded logical for about 5 seconds until I realized just how ridiculous it was. Once I did, it just made me laugh.