Notices

Day 1

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I have been lurking and drinking for the past few months. Today, is day one. I am told I have to want it. In a way, I do want to quit badly. In a way, I guess I don't. But, I must for health, work and relationship issues. Wish me luck. I do have meds that I am taking.

Happy Saturday, everyone.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There truly is a lot more than luck involved.
I was kind of like you are saying most of my drinking career. I wanted to stop,but I guess I didn't want to bad enough to do it,or succeed. I think I finally got to the point I wanted to quit more than I wanted to keep drinking. I'm not really sure just how it is I made it. If I were I could probably bottle it up and sell it.
Congrats on day 1. There is a reason they say take it one day at a time. Today is the only one that matters. If you do it that way before long you have stacked up a bunch of days,months and years.
I wish you the best....or ummm.... Good luck
Fred
Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nothing to loose rockindog, as Nevertheless said, one day at a time. Wish you well my friend.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers coming your way for clairty ..

I can't think of anything in my life that has not improved
since I finally quit drinking.
I do hope this will be your time...
Old 09-15-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Re: Day 1

Congrats on day 1. I had a hard time getting over the day 1 jitters myself, but it didn’t last very long. It seemed to subside after only a week or two. So hang in there as best you can. Sobriety does have its moments –good and bad- but it does beat the nausea of a bad hangover any day. All it takes is some willingness and a good support network. The rest you’ll learn along the way.

I had the desire to change, but I didn’t have the proper motivation at first. So I needed a push in the right direction. After many years sober and many more years fighting just to stay alive, I finally came to grips with my past and my drinking. So can you. My suggestion; make sobriety your priority for today. It’s the only option worth striving for.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around the term ‘alcoholic’ that some of us never seem to quantify. I guess it depends on who you talk too, though. Alcoholism affects everyone differently, and in ways that only few can fathom. It can even become an enigma of sorts if not addressed properly. For some people, it's not even a question anymore -a given I suppose, while for others it’s become more of an ongoing mystery if anything. Like, it’s shrouded in a sea of uncertainty or something. But for me it was abundantly clear…I had no other choice but to surrender. I had to stop circling the campfire of doubt with my usual 'alkie-logic' and focus instead on the obvious…my drinking. And then make some wise decisions from there.

Basically, I was drinking way too much -which for me signified an even bigger problem…active alcoholism. So from that standpoint it became rather obvious to me. There was no other choice for me, but to surrender. That was 11+ years ago. I’ve been able to achieve some quality sobriety since then –with the help of my awesome support network of course, and so can you. The question still remains, though. What are we to do? Sobriety, will always be a priority in my life even if it costs me dearly. But that's just me. How others choose to respond is up to them. I just hope 'you' make the right decision, for today. Welcome, again.

~God Bless~
Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I made it. I have lots to do so will keep busy tomorrow (today).
Old 09-16-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR rockindog

D
Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And so starts day 2. I gotta work at the office for a bit then have my eye on yard and garden work. And some football. Slept pretty good last night, but feel pretty blah this morning.

Happy Sunday everyone.